Is 4G Really Worth It?

BostonBeats88

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I got some of the inspiration from this LH article: Lifehacker

When 4g first came out I really did not know much about it and really didn't do a lot of research, I just knew it was faster, and in some cases crazy fast. My DX broke and I needed a new Droid (a new iPhone didn't even cross my mind, dwoids for lyfe) I went to the Vzw store and the one thing that I was thinking was does adding 4g to your plan cost more per month. It would make sense right? People with a 3g plan shouldn't pay the same as those with 4g. Its like charging the same price for a Fiat and a Ferrari.

Anyway, they do not charge more and I happily got the TB and now I blast around the internets.

My question is would you have still considered 4g if there was a monthly charge added on. What would your limit be? And is it even worth it for you? Are the speeds really that life changing?

And also consider all the other cons that come with 4g. (i.e. Limited battery life, radio issues, not even having it in your area, sim cards, etc.)

Thoughts!!!

ps. I really desire an app that will turn on your 4g when you open a browser or maps or downloading or tethering or are charging, and then goes back to 3g for all other data things. Would be heaven on earth.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Is 4G LTE really worth it? That's like asking if high speed Internet is better than dial up! Or is HD TV better than standard? Or, is color TV better than black and white.... well, you get the picture. :p So yah, I'd pay a little more for it, may be a couple bucks. I'm still Jonesing big time for LTE in my area, especially since we were suppose to get it back in May, but a rash of nasty tornadoes at the end of April destroyed numerous cell towers and damaged others putting a major delay in deployment. :( I've used LTE numerous times and like any high speed network, it allows you to get things done faster as you're not waiting on the network. The down side is that it's tempting to stay on it more, but that's a problem I'd rather have than not. :)

Reactions: waker

jd6102

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Just got the TB on Saturday, love every second of 4G. Downloads and internet speeds blow away 3g speeds. Was contemplating getting the BB9930 But after using this phone no thanks. I'm sticking with the HTC Thunderbolt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

elai1108

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Just got the TB on Saturday, love every second of 4G. Downloads and internet speeds blow away 3g speeds. Was contemplating getting the BB9930 But after using this phone no thanks. I'm sticking with the HTC Thunderbolt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
I think 4G only matters significantly if you download and/or stream large files regularly. Internet browsing over 3G works just fine in my opinion, and most of the time I'm running on wifi anyways which is nearly as fast as 4G. Hence, I don't think I would pay more monthly fee to have 4G access.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
if you was grandfathered into the 4g price you are getting unlimited for 20.00 compared to 30.00 for unlimited and you still think they should drop price?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I think 4G only matters significantly if you download and/or stream large files regularly. Internet browsing over 3G works just fine in my opinion, and most of the time I'm running on wifi anyways which is nearly as fast as 4G. Hence, I don't think I would pay more monthly fee to have 4G access.

I'd beg to differ. It's not just about downloading or streaming. I'd much rather have 4G LTE as normal (non-mobile) websites load much, much faster in comparison to 3G, especially ones with Flash. There is a weather site (Intellicast) I tend to visit often for their awesome radar (uses Flash) and it takes forever to load on 3G, but pops right in with LTE. Same thing with Android Central, the full site loads very fast with LTE while it's slow on 3G, same with ESPN, etc, etc. I'd say LTE makes your phone more like a mini-computer on high speed Internet than a typical smartphone on 3G only. It just allows you to get things done faster as you're not waiting on the network. It's also pretty sick that LTE puts my home DSL (6Mbps) service to shame! :p

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I hate to admit it, but I would be willing to pay a bit more for 4G. Though only if where I live was inside coverage. 3G data works, barely... Wi-Fi is normally a little better outside of security concerns. Though that's mostly the fault of cable/DSL providers. Around Northern Kentucky the 10/1Mps (Down/Up) is normally 4/0.5Mps.... LTE is very noticeable even updating/running apps. At worst its 7/4Mps aqnd best 25/9Mps. I wish Kentucky had the same level of coverage as Ohio. I travel a lot in Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, and Wisconsin. Ohio's coverage is noticeable better. Cleveland has coverage 40 miles south. Cincinnati has coverage 20-25 miles north and 1-2 miles south. I live 6 mile south. If I had coverage I would stop my cable and happily pay the $30 for Unlimited Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connection.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely not want to pay extra for it, which is why I am so happy to be grandfather'd. For the poor bastards that aren't, I feel for them greatly. I would never go back to a 3G phone.

Thanks, Robrecht

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Come back a year from now when 90 percent of VZW's phones are 4G and ask this question again :D

-Frank

That's a big reason they changed their data plans. Even though they have a large subscriber base now, they're hoping to draw in more customers as their 4G coverage and selection of 4G devices expands, and those customers will essentially be paying a premium for 4G, as those customers may be more likely to go over cap limits without knowing it.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've always paid 30 for unlimited data...how do you get them to charge only 20?

Ok you are talking about data for device, I thought you was speaking of hotspot....

The price only changed because the users kept throwing the unlimited card out there when they was using it for free tethering, this forced them to change the rates...

And I'm not saying this to start a bickering match that seem to happen any time this is said..

This is what happens when you got users abusing the network...

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok you are talking about data for device, I thought you was speaking of hotspot....

The price only changed because the users kept throwing the unlimited card out there when they was using it for free tethering, this forced them to change the rates...

And I'm not saying this to start a bickering match that seem to happen any time this is said..

This is what happens when you got users abusing the network...

Ahh, i see. Thought for a moment you had some inside info to get cheaper plan :D

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
and most of the time I'm running on wifi anyways which is nearly as fast as 4G.

That may be true of the WiFi that you are using. But most users don't fully understand that "WiFi" is not synonymous with "fast". WiFi can only be as fast as the internet connection that it is broadcasting. If I put a WiFi router on a 56K connection, I wouldn't call that "nearly as fast as 4G". ;)

But in regards to the original question, yes, 4G is worth it to me. And I would probably pay up to a $10 monthly premium for it if it had been required.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, i see. Thought for a moment you had some inside info to get cheaper plan :D

I have two Thunderbolt's on my account and pay $20 total for the data on both phone... but that's because I hopped on the original Talk & Text + Data promo, so both those lines get a $20 discount to the data plan. I made absolutely certain it would carry over to 4G.

I mean, getting unlimited 4G phone data + unlimited MHS for $40 a month total is not too shabby...

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
With speeds like this I am not complaining about a few dollars... 4G bets out my wifi...

attachment.php

Reactions: BostonBeats88

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Last edited: