Who will be dropping VZW after their plan ends?

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Verizon to ditch phone plans, go with shared plans - Yahoo! Finance

How many of us Verizon customers will be dropping their service at the end of their contract?.

I think I will be. I already pay $180/month for me and 3 other phones (kids). I personally use about 3GB a month and my son uses about 2GB a month. It is ridiculous that we will only get 1GB a month....I will burrn through that in about 5 days.

I am seriously thinking of going to a DUMBPHONE or jumping ship to Sprint or Metro PCS.

What are others going to do?

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll be ending my contract with Verizon when it's up in March. I plan on porting my # to Google Voice and going with T-mobiles no contract $30 a month plan that includes unlimited texting and data (first 5GB at 4G speeds, then you get throttled). With GV you can make calls over 3g/4g/wifi so you don't need any minutes.

And wow, after looking at Verizon's new data plans, there's no way I'd renew a contract, $50 for 1 gig!? Are they offering any individual plans, because the new structure seems like a complete rip off for individuals. I'd have to pay $120 a month on contract at Verizon to get the same features as the $30 a month no contract plan at T-mobile!

Last edited:

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been a Verizon fan for years because they have service in the areas where I need it most.
I need to study the other carriers, but the more I read, the more I plan to switch. I usually use WiFi at home and at work. This month is the first time I have gotten close to 1GB because I was traveling and I had wiFi off at work for a while. I am surrounded by people that use well over 10GB a month normally, one of them used 40GB last month. I feel like I am being forced to pay for their heavy useage. I'm not a happy camper.
Add to that the fact the Verizon has ALWAYS been last with the newer phones (like an HTC One X).

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I will explore other options, but in the end how much would I really save?? unless you can save me 50-60 bucks a month, i'm not sure it's worth it, especially with the spotty coverage from Sprint and At&t. dropped calls on the regular from these two, from what i hear.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I sat on the phone this morning talking to a rep that kept telling me that at the end of July when I renew my son's Dinc, (My plan was to get the S3 for him, switch sim's and give him my TB) that it'll "be no problem" and that I get to keep my unlimited data. So I had him go over the release notes for the new plans like 3 times, and even though he would explain it the way we all understand it, he would say at the end, "See, you are fine, and get to keep your unlimited, and get a subsidized price on your next upgrade!" Finally I asked him if what he read just doesn't apply to me or what? And he said he would ask someone else. After about 5 minutes, he came back and said that yes, if I upgrade I can keep unlimited, but I would have to pay full price for whatever phone I get... That took about 15 minutes for him to find the right info, even though he told me THE RIGHT INFO 3 times in a row! He then asked if that was why I was calling(?) and I said "Yeah, just wanted to see if it was true." When he asked why, I told him I was most likely going to return my wife's Razr Maxx she picked up on the 1st (switched from Sprint), and start switching lines over to different company as the contracts run out. After the ish-storm of different ways I could get good pricing, he did the "calculator" and found that I would be "fine at 10 gb a month!!" My wife is at 2.5 gb for 12 days, I'm at 4.5 with 13 days left for the month, and my son's phone is almost unusable right now, (If we don't reflash rom's on it every week, it stops working, and it's WAY past warranty) but the he is usually, using 3G, sitting around 8 gb a month. The rep said that because it's only $10 buck's for every gb we go over, that with the "new" service, the data price will still be about what I pay now... But then he realized that was JUST the data... Not for the full service. He also confirmed that if I switch one line over, and keep them on a family plan, ALL lines switch to shared data, even if they are on contract, and the only way to NOT have that happen is to switch them to individual plans. Which will cost even more because it's a data/talk/text plan... After a while he said my best bet is to just keep what I have and pay full price when I upgrade, unfortunately I can't bring myself to get anything less than the best phones they offer at the time, so yeah... I'm kind of upset. 10+ years, and that's that I guess...

/rant

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I sat on the phone this morning talking to a rep that kept telling me that at the end of July when I renew my son's Dinc, (My plan was to get the S3 for him, switch sim's and give him my TB) that it'll "be no problem" and that I get to keep my unlimited data. So I had him go over the release notes for the new plans like 3 times, and even though he would explain it the way we all understand it, he would say at the end, "See, you are fine, and get to keep your unlimited, and get a subsidized price on your next upgrade!" Finally I asked him if what he read just doesn't apply to me or what? And he said he would ask someone else. After about 5 minutes, he came back and said that yes, if I upgrade I can keep unlimited, but I would have to pay full price for whatever phone I get... That took about 15 minutes for him to find the right info, even though he told me THE RIGHT INFO 3 times in a row! He then asked if that was why I was calling(?) and I said "Yeah, just wanted to see if it was true." When he asked why, I told him I was most likely going to return my wife's Razr Maxx she picked up on the 1st (switched from Sprint), and start switching lines over to different company as the contracts run out. After the ish-storm of different ways I could get good pricing, he did the "calculator" and found that I would be "fine at 10 gb a month!!" My wife is at 2.5 gb for 12 days, I'm at 4.5 with 13 days left for the month, and my son's phone is almost unusable right now, (If we don't reflash rom's on it every week, it stops working, and it's WAY past warranty) but the he is usually, using 3G, sitting around 8 gb a month. The rep said that because it's only $10 buck's for every gb we go over, that with the "new" service, the data price will still be about what I pay now... But then he realized that was JUST the data... Not for the full service. He also confirmed that if I switch one line over, and keep them on a family plan, ALL lines switch to shared data, even if they are on contract, and the only way to NOT have that happen is to switch them to individual plans. Which will cost even more because it's a data/talk/text plan... After a while he said my best bet is to just keep what I have and pay full price when I upgrade, unfortunately I can't bring myself to get anything less than the best phones they offer at the time, so yeah... I'm kind of upset. 10+ years, and that's that I guess...

/rant

I'm amazed at how many VZW reps I speak to who haven't the slightest idea about their products and services. sounds like us "data hogs" are in big trouble. seriously, how long does it take the light-medium user to use up 2GB? a week, maybe two? this sucks big time.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been a Verizon fan for years because they have service in the areas where I need it most.
I need to study the other carriers, but the more I read, the more I plan to switch. I usually use WiFi at home and at work. This month is the first time I have gotten close to 1GB because I was traveling and I had wiFi off at work for a while. I am surrounded by people that use well over 10GB a month normally, one of them used 40GB last month. I feel like I am being forced to pay for their heavy useage. I'm not a happy camper.
Add to that the fact the Verizon has ALWAYS been last with the newer phones (like an HTC One X).

I agree with all but ...always being the last...they dropped the Rezond, RAZR, Revolution, and Nexus all within a month ... every carrier has a phone others dont ...they were the first to break the exclusivity of At&t iphone.. Thundbolt was the 1st LTE phone... so because we dont have the OneX you can't knock VZW phones.. when you go phone for phone VZW stacks up pretty well.. they do lack in WP7 but thats it...VZW had winter on lock..At&t is locking down the summer line up.. i mean man it switches off and on ...butttt! Im pissed too when we talk unlimited ..after my SIII i may switch ..sprints LTE should be up and solid by then (2yrs)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, it all depends on several factors. Right now we are spending right at $180 per month, 2 smartphones, Unlimited data, 1400 voice + Friends and family, plus the no-longer-available $10 500 /unlimited mobile texting. I tried going back to the 700 minute plan, but without F&F we occasionally go over with friends and relatives not on VZW.

Data usage keeps going up, I actually exceeded 4GB on my handset one month without much effort, no tethering, but just lots of data usage while traveling.

Verizon generally has the best coverage where I go (yes, there are some complete dead spots), but I almost never have trouble connecting with them when I need to, and they keep getting better. I am really intrigued by what the next Casio device might look like, and that's why I'll wait. I keep looking at the other plans, both at the primary providers and the re-sellers, and I keep coming up with about the same $$ (within $20/month), and friends and coworkers who have switched keep coming back to the big carriers after their coverage falls off outside a city.

I really like my Thunderbolt, but it for sure has to last past end of contract now (June of 2012), so I'll be back shopping the rugged cases again.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm telling you sprints the way to go we have four lines, unlimited everything for only 160$ a month. Plus the vision network(lte) is looking very promising.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Mellimel22

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
ha, their service better get a lot better. Plus a lot of my data/calls would be in roaming areas and that's a no-no on sprint.

Udis

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
VZW can kiss my a$$ there's no way I'm going for this bs they're starting. Straight Talk or some type of prepaid unlimited is in my future. The bolt was my first and only smart phone that I'll ever have on vzn.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm telling you sprints the way to go we have four lines, unlimited everything for only 160$ a month. Plus the vision network(lte) is looking very promising.

I am only paying $130 after taxes with corporate discount for 4 lines, 2 with data, and 2 basic phones. Of course, it depends on your needs.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The headline on that Yahoo article is misleading! The new shared data plans are OPTIONAL and if you have grandfathered unlimited, you still have the option to keep it as has already been reported previously (pay full retail for a phone).

See bottom of this page (directly from Verizon): Share Everything Plan: Unlimited Talk & Text with Shared Data.

"• I am a current Verizon Wireless customer, do I have to change my plan to a Share Everything Plan?

While you're not required to change to a Share Everything Plan you may want to check out the benefits of new plans. If you decide to change to a Share Everything Plan, you can do so without a fee or having to extend your contract term. To find out which plan may work for you visit https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ort/more-everything-plan-faqs/&token=w0y0wUax

• I have an unlimited data plan on my account. Do I need to change it?

You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone."

Myself, I've been off contract (month to month) since last November so I could go anywhere at any time. But I'd be stupid to do so as Verizon provides the best service where I live hands down regardless of data plan cost.

Reactions: mrfactorx

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I thought about jumping ship to another carrier, but vzw has the best coverage for me, hands down. if At&t had better coverage I'd think about heading over to them, especially since they always seem to have the best phones on their network first.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I thought about jumping ship to another carrier, but vzw has the best coverage for me, hands down. if At&t had better coverage I'd think about heading over to them, especially since they always seem to have the best phones on their network first.

And Verizon knows this and they're counting on customers to pay an additional premium for it.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am only paying $130 after taxes with corporate discount for 4 lines, 2 with data, and 2 basic phones. Of course, it depends on your needs.

But you get a corporate discount we don't get any that is our bill flat out.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
And Verizon knows this and they're counting on customers to pay an additional premium for it.

Everyone has to make their own decision, but what good does it serve you to go with another carrier, one you know has poor service where you live, just to save a few bucks? I'm not about to cut my nose to spite my face! A lot of times in life, you get exactly what you pay for!

Reactions: tml478 and Jude526

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sirius_A