Charging Port Pin

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I just dropped my Thunderbolt from my bed with the charger in it. I didn't think much until I tried to plug it in, the pin dock bent, and is messed up now. How long does the warranty last if I got the phone in October, and does this get covered in warranty? I don't have insurance :(

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The standard warranty on a new Tbolt should be one year. So the phone is still easily under warranty.

However, I don't think a bent pin (which is the obvious result of abuse, even if accidental) would be a warranty item.

You can always take it in to a Verizon store and be really, really, REALLY nice to them :-* :-* :-* and see if they'll swap it out for a refurb for you. Or you can have it repaired - I don't think swapping out a USB port is a big repair. But you probably will lose your phone for a few days.

Less convenient, I know, but they also make an external charger for the battery. It may be cheaper to get a second battery and an external charger, and just swap batteries instead of charging them overnight. It's not ideal, of course...

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
PS: As worwig also mentioned - I'm assuming the broken bit is on the phone itself, and not on the cable.

Because the charging cable for the phone is a bog-standard USB Micro cable you can buy from Amazon for about a dollar, or from Best Buy for about five to ten bucks.

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I wish it was the cable. The actual dock inside the phone on the bottom left where you plug the phone in is obliterated. Hopefully they can move my upgrade date earlier, I would rather switch to an iPhone, even though I like Android just as much, but I like battery life too.

But if not, hopefully they can at least swap me out for a factory replacement, not having a phone sucks! Especially since my phone is on 15% battery, and I can't charge anymore :(

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I will tell you that it's highly unlikely they will move an iPhone upgrade date early. My wife is with AT&T and every few months they offer her an "early upgrade" to any one of a bunch of discounted Androids (she could literally have a new high-end phone every 4-5 months for a couple hundred bucks), but iPhone is full price until at least a year after the most recent swap. I have to imagine Verizon is the same way, because margins on the iPhone are probably a lot lower than most Android models.

But your best bet is to either find a local repair shop (this is not a horribly complex repair, it's not like replacing the screen!) and see if they can fix it on the cheap, or buy some flowers and chocolate for your local Verizon store rep and see if they can find you a refurb on the cheap or free, or find a Thunderbolt or other CDMA phone on eBay.

But if you need something tomorrow, you can buy an external charger and pay for overnight shipping, and maybe throw in a second battery, so you can at least keep the juice monster happy.

Amazon.com: HTC My Touch 4G Thunderbolt Wall Travel External Dock Battery Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

mikesbolt

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
You can purchase a battery-only charger from VZW for $2.97 as suggested above. I'd also get the extra battery. Also, you may consider the inductive-charge cover. Either option may get you by until you change your phone.

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
well I got off with Customer Service and the lady said just to bring it unto the store, so if I can't get it replaced, back to the Razor for me :( and I'm not talking about the Droid Razor.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd suggest a small box of decent chocolates for the rep who is going to help you. It's a small investment, but with the proper bribe and a little being REALLY nice, you might get someone who has the authority to overlook the obvious abuse-related damage and scare you up a refurb. Find the right ass and kiss. Kiss hard. Kiss like you mean it.

Good luck, my friend. They'll probably do right by you, but if they decide not to you can take the nice chocolates home and console yourself with, hey, nice chocolates.

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I went into the Verizon store, talked to possibly the worst representative I've ever talked to.

He said that I broke the Thunderbolt, and wanted to sell me a full retail price Tbolt to use for a month until my ugprade will be. (I have a Verizon netbook that I'm stealing the upgrade from). Then he tried to find me a 70$ wireless charging pad for the phone, funny thing is I knew once he said it that there is nothing compatible of that sort for a Tbolt. He even wanted me to donate my phone .. -_-

So I pretty much just grabbed my phone and stormed out :p On my way home I called Customer Service and the kind lady said she will give me a callback tomorrow, and she is all for upgrading early. Now I probably will get an iPhone and keep my Tbolt to use as an iPod Touch.