Thunderbolt Calendar and iCal won't sync two ways

cellopoet

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Deleted occurrences of a repeating event don't sync two ways between iCal and my HTC Thunderbolt android phone calendar using Google Calendar. All other syncing is okay.

When I delete a single occurrence of a repeating event in iCal, it will delete on the web in the Google calendar, but the event doesn't delete on my phone. However, it works the other way around; if I delete the event from the phone, it will delete on the web and in iCal. This only happens when deleting a single instance of a repeating event. It does not happen when deleting a single, non-repeating event, or when editing events of any type- in those cases, syncing works both ways.

I have tried everything I can find online. I deleted the Google account in iCal and set it up again. I also tried creating new calendars in the Google calendar, and I tried using two different Google Calendars from different gmail accounts. My default calendar in iCal is set to one of my Google calendars, and I tried disabling iCloud and the home and work calendars in iCal (I don't use them anyway- I don't have any other Apple devices). I am using OSX Lion on a Macbook Pro and Gingerbread on the HTC Thuderbolt.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

cellopoet

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I actually just figured out the problem, but I'll leave the post and the solution for anyone else who has this problem.

It doesn't work if you use your main Google calendar. In Google you have to create another calendar aside from the main calendar. I created two of them and I call one Home and the other Work (but don't mix them up with the Home and Work calendars in iCloud or On My Mac- you can use different names so you won't get confused). Use these calendars only; don't use the main account calendar because that one won't sync properly.

In iCal under Preferences/Accounts, select the Google account and under the Delegation tab, make sure your newly created calendar(s) are checked. Close that window. Then, under Calendars you will see the new calendar(s) listed both under Google AND under Delegates. Check the box for the new calendar(s) under Delegates, but make sure it is UNCHECKED under Google (otherwise the events will appear twice on your calendar). If it is set up the other way around (checked under Google and unchecked under Delegates) it won't sync properly. That seems to have been my problem.

If you already have a lot of events in your main Google calendar, you can export the calendar and then import it into your newly created Google calendar. Once you have imported it into the new calendar, you can delete the events in the main calendar. This should be done on the web in Google.

Last edited:

cellopoet

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Update...

So it seems that my fix only works part of the time. I just deleted two occurrences of a repeating event in iCal, and one of them deleted on my phone, but the other didn't. :mad:
iCal also crashed a couple times during this process (I was also editing another event, and adding an event when this happened, so maybe that is why it crashed and didn't sync... doing too many things at once?)

If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to chime in.