Crosshair in the notification bar?

Android 19

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Anybody know what that is? The little crosshair in the notification bar? It wasn't there the first few hours i had the phone, and now can't seem to go away. I thought it was the logo for gps but that is off via the power widget-so...any ideas or help? I am not in a 4g area, but was curious as to what this guy is. Sorry in advance if i sound like a fool- i even browsed the manuals to try and find out!

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
it's your GPS.

it's turned off when there are no bars to the right of it
it's turned ON when there are bars to the right of it

it's different than the older versions of GPS icons.

old way
crosshair=GPS on
crosshair with line through it=GPS Off
new way
crosshair=GPS off
crosshair with ))) to the right of it=GPS on

Last edited:

Android 19

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
makes sense. I just dont get why it would pop up on my notification bar and stay there when i never turned it on nor used it! lol oh well, small grapes!

miss chris

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
There is a table in the user manual showing all of the notification icons. You can find it in the user manual thread that Cory stickied I too wondered what the heck that was and found that table to be uber helpful.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
makes sense. I just dont get why it would pop up on my notification bar and stay there when i never turned it on nor used it! lol oh well, small grapes!

yeah, it confused me when i had both my Evo & the TB in my hand at the store. then after playing with the settings it finally clicked.
it's kind of misleading compared to the mass of people already familiar with the old icon

Android 19

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
so just let it be then? It isn't affecting the battery life since gps isn't on (no bars to the right)? Or do i need to get it off the bar?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
so just let it be then? It isn't affecting the battery life since gps isn't on (no bars to the right)? Or do i need to get it off the bar?

just let it be.

if it's just the crosshairs with No ))) to the right of it, then it means it's off....the GPS icon stays in your notification bar regardless of whether or not you're using it.

Android 19

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
thank you kindly ac pals! I am in love with this bolt! Just wish i could be in a 4g area for them speeds! lol oh well, just may have to wait til i move to LA by august or september-think i will be fine then!

ggpike

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I figured out the issue. I had GPS turned off, but was still getting the crosshairs with the ))) beside it.

Go to settings > Location > and uncheck VZW Location Services.

Solves the issue immediately.

Reactions: libraryclg

libraryclg

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I figured out the issue. I had GPS turned off, but was still getting the crosshairs with the ))) beside it.

Go to settings > Location > and uncheck VZW Location Services.

Solves the issue immediately.

Sweet, that was bothering me for some reason. It's gone now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch