Google Talk not working

JM4G1C

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Greetings all. Brand new to the Android arena after a faithful 4+ years with Blackberry. Picked up the Thunderbolt today and while most things seem pretty intuitive and a snap to setup, Google Talk isn't working. I select it and there's a brief(.5second) where you see the 'sign in' but nothing happens... any suggestions?

jclbrt235

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I had this same issue. Not exactly sure what caused this (somehow I think my power manager screwed up or something), but the way I resolved this on my HTC Thunderbolt was by going to Settings-->Accounts & Sync--> then uncheck "Background Data" and recheck it. Seemingly by toggling Background Data on and off it restored google talk.

Strange but it worked.

AzDayton

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Thank you jclbrt235. Your solution worked for me.

When I tried to go back in, instead of just closing the app again as it had been doing, it told me the password was bad. But then someone sent me a GTalk message, and I opened it from the notification area, and it opened fine. Weird.

I've had this problem with GTalk twice. Last time was just before I got my new phone (on a different network) so that rules both the phone and the network.

I did notice that this time it happened right after my phone had completely run out of juice and powered down. I charged it up and rebooted the phone, but didn't notice until much later that GTalk wasn't working (when someone who'd been sending me messages sent me a text message to ask why I wasn't replying). So maybe it's losing it's mind when it runs out of juice somehow?

Just a thought.

- Dayton - Tue. 01/17/2012 @ 11:37:15

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I did notice that this time it happened right after my phone had completely run out of juice and powered down. I charged it up and rebooted the phone, but didn't notice until much later that GTalk wasn't working (when someone who'd been sending me messages sent me a text message to ask why I wasn't replying). So maybe it's losing it's mind when it runs out of juice somehow?
Background data shuts off when power save kicks in (low battery). I think Google Talk has problems realizing background data is back on after that.

Susan Stott

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I had this same issue. Not exactly sure what caused this (somehow I think my power manager screwed up or something), but the way I resolved this on my HTC Thunderbolt was by going to Settings-->Accounts & Sync--> then uncheck "Background Data" and recheck it. Seemingly by toggling Background Data on and off it restored google talk.

Strange but it worked.

It worked instanly, thanks very much :)

nugiene

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had issues switching to the rear camera? I can't the icon doesn't even show up in the top of the screen while in a conversation. I've tried stock Rom and eternity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38