4 Questions; can anyone help this noob (me)?

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
i'll start by saying I am 100% enjoying the tbolt since it came out! cant let go!

BUT

i do have these questions and hopefully many of you know a way to solve:

1) ".mov" files. i received a 2mb video file from my brothers iphone4. it couldnt open thru the mail app. i downloaded an app called "vplayer" (free) which plays .mov.
i go into Astro (file management app), go into Downloads (since that's where the mail put it), and walla, it gets played by vlplayer.
Is there a way to see .mov files without having to leave the email client and going into Astro? in other words, after i d/l the .mov file can i have a preference to make default to a certain app? maybe you guys know of a better way of opening these files?

2) friend stream. i cannot get it to work for some reason - but only the facebook part. the twitter part did login just fine. i have the facebook app and am signed into that and i know i inserted my user info correctly. but logging into the facebook part of friend stream does not work for me.
here's the pop-up message i get:
"Warning - The service is currently unavailable. Do you want to try again? Yes/No"
if i hit yes, it immediately comes back to the same pop up message.
I got the phone the day it came out with my wife and cousin - only cousin was able to get it to work. My wife and i get the same message (she has her account). Any work around/tip/trick?

3) stock browser. so i understand that to exit and abort an app we hit the back arrow key and the app closes. if i opened the browser and did some surfing, let's say i visited 5 pages in the same window, then when i hit the back arrow key, of course it takes me back in the order of the sites i visited. How do i close the stock browser without navigating all the way back to the first page i visited? (i saw dolphin and skyfire have an exit button when you hit menu - but couldnt find anything for stock browser).

4) facebook birthday reminders. im really a low end user of FB, but i'd like to know of my relatives birthdays via the reminders. Can they be added to the calendars widget or even if the birthday reminders could integrate into my gmail calendar and then into the htc widget some how. I have many many gmail calendar labels and enjoy seeing all 15+ of them with their the color coding integrate so nicely - how can i get facebook birthday reminders to show up too without having to open facebook app and going to Events section?

looking forward to some good answers.
thanks AC community.

Last edited:

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
2. mine does the samething on 3g 4g and wifi idk

i'm kind of happy you mention this as when i searched the forums about friend stream, all i could find were posts mentioning that if they wanted to save a lot on battery then they should disable it etc.

i now see it's not just my wife and i who are having this issue, thanks.

also, the funny thing about it is that if i purposefully right my password incorrect, then the pop up message becomes "Invalid email, username or password" but yet when i put in the correct password, the service is unavailable! :-(

eloverton2

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
my facebook wasn't showing up on friendstream until i went to settings>accounts & sync and disabled the regular facebook autosync and enabled the facebook for HTC sense.

hope this helps.

edit: also, to close the browser, i just hit the home button.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
1) ".mov" files. i received a 2mb video file from my brothers iphone4. it couldnt open thru the mail app. i downloaded an app called "vplayer" (free) which plays .mov.
i go into Astro (file management app), go into Downloads (since that's where the mail put it), and walla, it gets played by vlplayer.
Is there a way to see .mov files without having to leave the email client and going into Astro? in other words, after i d/l the .mov file can i have a preference to make default to a certain app? maybe you guys know of a better way of opening these files?
Is it trying to open with the stock player? Is so, you should be able to go into your manage apps and clear the defaults for the stock player. After that, you should get a pop up that will ask you what app you want to open the file with

3) stock browser. so i understand that to exit and abort an app we hit the back arrow key and the app closes. if i opened the browser and did some surfing, let's say i visited 5 pages in the same window, then when i hit the back arrow key, of course it takes me back in the order of the sites i visited. How do i close the stock browser without navigating all the way back to the first page i visited? (i saw dolphin and skyfire have an exit button when you hit menu - but couldnt find anything for stock browser).
I usually just close the tap I'm using in the windows icon. If there is only one tap it should just open your home page. Don't quote me on this one cause I haven't tried it yet on the TBolt.

4) facebook birthday reminders. im really a low end user of FB, but i'd like to know of my relatives birthdays via the reminders. Can they be added to the calendars widget or even if the birthday reminders could integrate into my gmail calendar and then into the htc widget some how. I have many many gmail calendar labels and enjoy seeing all 15+ of them with their the color coding integrate so nicely - how can i get facebook birthday reminders to show up too without having to open facebook app and going to Events section?
I don't use my calendar much, I'm either working or sleeping so not much to remember, lol. For my FB birthdays I just get my email notification in gmail and that works for me. I'll check on this one and get back to you.

Reactions: Green_Laser

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
my facebook wasn't showing up on friendstream until i went to settings>accounts & sync and disabled the regular facebook autosync and enabled the facebook for HTC sense.

hope this helps.

edit: also, to close the browser, i just hit the home button.

i just went in to try this (disabling the FB autosync) and the pop up still comes up. initially, when i got the phone i had tried to use the friend stream widget before even d/ling the actual FB app. it was only a day later that i got the FB app, i thought it could help it unwind something in friendstream but it didnt - same annoying message either way.

about hitting the home key for the browser, doesnt that still keep the app open? ( i guess coming from a Storm i'm used to closing apps from all the memory issues it has).

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
about hitting the home key for the browser, doesnt that still keep the app open? ( i guess coming from a Storm i'm used to closing apps from all the memory issues it has).

It will keep it "open", but if the memory is needed, android will put it into a low memory state in the background to free up memory as needed. Shouldn't have memory issues.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Is it trying to open with the stock player?

actually, when i go to the email message, i click on "view attachment" at the top, it then shows me a paper clip icon on the left and a filename on the right. i then click on the attachment for it to d/l, after it does, at the bottom of the screen theres a pop up that says "unable to open this type of file" . this happens when i preview the email message both in the gmail and htc universal mail apps.

i will try and make the vplayer the default player, that could def help - thanks

rflores5432

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
actually, when i go to the email message, i click on "view attachment" at the top, it then shows me a paper clip icon on the left and a filename on the right. i then click on the attachment for it to d/l, after it does, at the bottom of the screen theres a pop up that says "unable to open this type of file" . this happens when i preview the email message both in the gmail and htc universal mail apps.

i will try and make the vplayer the default player, that could def help - thanks

I have this same issue.