Incompatible apps

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
The most recent was a Shop Savvy barcode scanner that my wife wanted. In the reviews were multiple complaints that it force closed on Thunderbolts.

Works great on my Thunderbolt.

That said, It may be that it is not compatible with 4g.

I used that app the first week i had to phone to save almost 100 bucks on ipod touches for my kids.:eek:

Reactions: kungfuparachute

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Works great on my Thunderbolt.

That said, It may be that it is not compatible with 4g.

I used that app the first week i had to phone to save almost 100 bucks on ipod touches for my kids.:eek:
When it comes to apps, there is normally no distinction whatsoever between 1x, 3g or 4G connectivity. If the app requires connectivity it'll work with any kind. Yes, there are exceptions (i.e. some apps that say they require Wifi, etc.) but they are very few. If the type of data connection is critical it will be mentioned in the app's docs or prior to download in the Android App Market.

Even My Verizon (which is not compatible with the "HTC ThunderBolt" - according to the Market description) does not say "Not compatible with 4G".

-Frank

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
When it comes to apps, there is normally no distinction whatsoever between 1x, 3g or 4G connectivity. If the app requires connectivity it'll work with any kind. Yes, there are exceptions (i.e. some apps that say they require Wifi, etc.) but they are very few. If the type of data connection is critical it will be mentioned in the app's docs or prior to download in the Android App Market.

Even My Verizon (which is not compatible with the "HTC ThunderBolt" - according to the Market description) does not say "Not compatible with 4G".

-Frank

Not trying to argue that as i do not have 4g in my area and will not for a long time. However, there have been many people here that have had apps that work when they have 4g turned off, but do not when 4g is turned on. One of the messaging apps was having that issue (yahoo, if i am not mistaken). I think it was said that they would shut down or force close with 4g on because they were designed to "sync" at 4g speeds. I will try to find the thread, as it may help the op

Edit: Here's the thread about 4g/3g issues with yahoo: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/69073-yahoo-messenger-problem.html
FWIW.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Also, I don't listen to the Market reviews too much when it comes to that. I have a few apps that people complained about but they work fine.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to argue that as i do not have 4g in my area and will not for a long time. However, there have been many people here that have had apps that work when they have 4g turned off, but do not when 4g is turned on. One of the messaging apps was having that issue (yahoo, if i am not mistaken). I think it was said that they would shut down or force close with 4g on because they were designed to "sync" at 4g speeds. I will try to find the thread, as it may help the op

Edit: Here's the thread about 4g/3g issues with yahoo: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/69073-yahoo-messenger-problem.html
FWIW.
It is my belief that the problem with this app ("process com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.im has stopped unexpectedly") is, first, a bug. And second, occurs because of the way the TBolt delays between handoffs between 1x, 3G and 4G, causing a total loss of data connection for long enough that the app gives up re-trying. Many apps do not do so well handing "no data connection" errors, and they crash. This appears to be one of them.

-Frank

Last edited:

TnTexas

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The Nook app is one of those that works well when 4G is turned off (I've never had any problems with it under those circumstances anyway) and usually crashes/force closes when it isn't. I have no idea why it does that, but it does - just about every single time I try to use it with 4G engaged. So far that's the only after-market app I've really had a major problem with.