Not receiving Texts over 160 from iPhone

DocJ#WN

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Today I started to notice that some of my texts (sms) were cut off and not making sense. I quickly realized that I was only getting the first part of a 2 part message. So I tested my theory. I texted myself from a different phone a two part sms. I got both parts. Then I realized that the texts that were cut off were from my friends who have iPhones. It appears as though, for some reason, the Thunderbolt cannot receive 2 part sms from iPhones. I have no idea whether this is even fixable. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that when someone on an iphone writes a text longer than 160 char and sends it to you, the iPhone doesn't break it up into two or more texts for you? because sms is 160 char. and i believe that anything above that is a client side workaround. If they send you MMS - which will take longer notes does it work?

Reactions: lovy

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I use Handcent and when my friends on iPhone send long texts, it splits it and sends it as multiple messages so that I get the entire message.

DocJ#WN

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying that when someone on an iphone writes a text longer than 160 char and sends it to you, the iPhone doesn't break it up into two or more texts for you? because sms is 160 char. and i believe that anything above that is a client side workaround. If they send you MMS - which will take longer notes does it work?

Yes when someone from an iPhone sends me a text longer than 160 characters I don't get the second part. I use handcent and it still doesn't split it. I sent myself texts from my gmail and it splits those but when I send my self texts from my friend's iphone it doesn't. Its really really strange.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes when someone from an iPhone sends me a text longer than 160 characters I don't get the second part. I use handcent and it still doesn't split it. I sent myself texts from my gmail and it splits those but when I send my self texts from my friend's iphone it doesn't. Its really really strange.

Looks to me like an iPhone problem or an AT&T to Verizon problem (assuming the iPhone is AT&T. I know they had this issue a while back, but i thought it was fixed.

When the iPhone user creates a long text the phone should break it in two or submit it to the carrier who then breaks it in two (or more) and sends it along. They have to assume that they're sending to any device out there like a dumb phone, so it should just be two regular txts - in fact sometimes they arrive out of order. I can't see anything on your phone not receiving the 2nd half unless handcent is trying to put them back together and somehow failing and losing the 2nd half (unlikely).

Can your friend send a long text to other phones on verizon? Can your friend send you a long MMS - that is different.

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Today I started to notice that some of my texts (sms) were cut off and not making sense. I quickly realized that I was only getting the first part of a 2 part message. So I tested my theory. I texted myself from a different phone a two part sms. I got both parts. Then I realized that the texts that were cut off were from my friends who have iPhones. It appears as though, for some reason, the Thunderbolt cannot receive 2 part sms from iPhones. I have no idea whether this is even fixable. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Any solution? Tell your friends to get rid of their iPhones and buy ThunderBolts. ;P
Problem solved! :cool:

kristaylur

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a tmobile LG G2x and I'm having the same issue. I tried it with handcent and with android default sms app android it happens either way. It only seems to happen when it's a text from att. The frustrating thing is as the messages hit they all show up in the notification panel but when I go to the inbox to read it it's not there. When a second piece to the message hits it deletes the piece that came before it. So if there are 4 pieces to the message, my phone will make the notification noise four times and four different messages would flash in the notification panel but when I go to the inbox there are only two messages and they make no sense because of the other parts missing. It is driving me insane!!!!!!! Someone please help.

budlight-budlight

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a tmobile LG G2x and I'm having the same issue. I tried it with handcent and with android default sms app android it happens either way. It only seems to happen when it's a text from att. The frustrating thing is as the messages hit they all show up in the notification panel but when I go to the inbox to read it it's not there. When a second piece to the message hits it deletes the piece that came before it. So if there are 4 pieces to the message, my phone will make the notification noise four times and four different messages would flash in the notification panel but when I go to the inbox there are only two messages and they make no sense because of the other parts missing. It is driving me insane!!!!!!! Someone please help.
tell them to call instead

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non