An accidental tap leads to years of messages lost

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys... I recently posted this in another community. I realized that this forum has always been so helpful and interesting that I thought I would share it here too.

PSA/Reminder: If you delete a conversation in Google Messages, it is gone. There is no trash can. However, keep reading.

Before you state the obvious, let me explain. I was using my phone quickly as many of us do. Somehow, rather than tapping a conversation to open it, I selected it. I think in my mind I wanted to deselect but I tapped the trash can (??). Now realizing I did that, I thought "oh no!" but I twitch-tapped the delete button and in an instant, years of messages were gone. (I have a tremor which periodically leads to accidental taps - never with such consequences)
Long story short, researched and chatted with support, the only way to get them back is to RESET your phone and restore from the backup. Erase your phone! Considering this conversation was with my husband... I did it. Message restore worked (up to 2am the previous day).

But - what a pain! Sure, it put my apps and screens back together but you have to log into everything again, set up everything again, and spend a couple days chasing down every notification to turn it off or change the sound.
It just doesn't seem like the right approach. Needless to say, I am now hyper-aware of that trash can. ...excuse me, my phone just beeped and I have no idea why...

I consider myself a seasoned Android user at this point but only recently switched to Google Messages. Still, not really an excuse. I am now using SMS Backup and Restore. And... I am STILL dealing with notifications that need to be turned off three days later!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I should have mentioned... I have both right and left swipes set to archive. I managed to do it despite all the steps involved.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I should have mentioned... I have both right and left swipes set to archive. I managed to do it despite all the steps involved.
Sms backup and recovery is your friend. Set it to automatic backup to your Google drive then, if this happens you can restore your txt and call log, if you wish, without a whole wipe and restore to get Google backup to restore your messages.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Sms backup and recovery is your friend. Set it to automatic backup to your Google drive then, if this happens you can restore your txt and call log, if you wish, without a whole wipe and restore to get Google backup to restore your messages.
This will only work if you have it installed and set to do the backups beforehand.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, no! I'm so sorry that happened to you but what a great workaround! Thank you for sharing it with us! I'm constantly archiving text conversations by accident.