Traveling to Canada

toothdoc4

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
So I a going to Canada in a few weeks and am wondering about data usage. Most of the time I will be in a remote area where there is not cell phone coverage, so I will be leaving my phone off. But for several days I will be in an area where it can be used. My question is, if I use the GPS widget to turn off GPS, will I still incur hefty data usage charges for things running in the background even if I don't use any apps? Or would it be best just to leave my phone off once I cross the border? I don't want Verizon to charge me for data usage when I won't be using my phone for more than just texting and calls. Thanks.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I just returned fro Canada and before going I purchased some data (75mb for $30) so I didnt get a huge bill for using data while roaming.

Reactions: Chrisy

QuikSilver39

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I used my Thunderbolt in Montreal Canada for 4 days. I used the maps app for the most part while I was there, it came to a total of about $24.00 in data roaming charges. It's not too bad, I think the international roaming package is $24.99 or $29.99 a month.

mrbates

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I travel to Canada frequently for work. All I do is turn off "data roaming" in the settings menu. This doesn't allow your phone to use data off of the Verizon network. You can text for free back to the states, and calls aren't that expensive. I have had a total of $2.30 of roaming charges over a combined 2 weeks of Canada travel. I used Wifi for all my interwebbing.If you get worried about it call Verizon while you are there and they can tell you the charges for roaming for the location you are in(it changes by network).

Reactions: perkdog65

toothdoc4

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
How do you turn off "data roaming" in the setting menu? I am failing to see that option. I already know that texting is free and calls are inexpensive, since I have used that in the past with other phones.

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
How do you turn off "data roaming" in the setting menu? I am failing to see that option. I already know that texting is free and calls are inexpensive, since I have used that in the past with other phones.

Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> Data roaming :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgrochowski