VZW's Thunderbolt Love???

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I sent this Tweet earlier today:

@VZWSupport Where is the #Thunderbolt love? No support for the MyVerizon app, nor any official Skype, or Netflix support! Where is the love?

A few hours later, I got the following back:

@fatboy97mn There's lots of ThunderBolt love here, but My Verizon isn't available yet, and 3rd party apps are supported by the developers*MS

I'm wondering if VZWSupport really has any love, or is it just company speak... I would think if they really loved us Tbolt users we would have already seen Skype, Netflix and MyVerizon fully supported and working on the Tbolt by now.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The point was that with the exception of "my verizon", Verizon itself has no control over what devices 3rd party app builders (in this case Netflix and skype) choose to support. Verizon does not build those apps.

Not company speak...just the truth.

For what its worth though, I'd live to know why there isn't support for "my verizon" app yet...especially when there's a leaked one out there that seems to work just fine.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tweet. I just joined Twitter. What does the # sign mean beside a word?

Also, I really want Netflix and Skype. I hope the TB isn't left in the dark, but I don't think it will be.

r007

1337 Member
May 23, 2011
Visit site
Skype is not exactly 3rd party to Verizon...

The point was that with the exception of "my verizon", Verizon itself has no control over what devices 3rd party app builders (in this case Netflix and skype) choose to support. Verizon does not build those apps.

I agree that Verizon does not have control over 3rd party app builders, but I expect a little bit more from Verizon with supporting Skype as Skype is one of their selling points (free Skype-to-Skype).

The other part that frusterates me, is that there are versions of both Skype and My Verizon that are floating around that do work on the Thunderbolt. I do not care if it does not support video chat yet, at least give me something to work with.

Thanks for the tweet. I just joined Twitter. What does the # sign mean beside a word?

The # (hash) is to tag a message so that other people can search on that tag to see similar tweets. For example, you can see all the tweets where people talk about the Thunderbolt: http://twitter.com/#!/search/#Thunderbolt

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrisy

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Just use the leaked version of the my verizon app.

Yes and use the leaked version of Skype... then the XDA version of Netflix... and on, and on, and on.

I figured if enough of us tweet the support people they might get the idea we wanted some of these apps.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Also, I really want Netflix and Skype. I hope the TB isn't left in the dark, but I don't think it will be.

Don't worry, when Gingerbread drops within the next month or two netflix will be working 99% for sure. On the Alpha leak we all had netflix with no modifications to the app since GB has the correct libraries and such. For whatever reason Froyo isn't playing nice. Hopefully we can get official netflix support or a Dev breaks the puzzle before GB is released though. I hate waiting.

Who knows with Skype. Might be the same thing as netflix.

Reactions: Chrisy

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Didn't the leaked Skype have a security issue? I don't like using leaked apps, OS's etc. I prefer official. If only because VZW or the dev will support it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Didn't the leaked Skype have a security issue? I don't like using leaked apps, OS's etc. I prefer official. If only because VZW or the dev will support it.

Yes, but the info it gets, you and your contacts can change or leave blank everything save your skype id and maybe your city?

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I sent this Tweet earlier today:

A few hours later, I got the following back:

I'm wondering if VZWSupport really has any love, or is it just company speak... I would think if they really loved us Tbolt users we would have already seen Skype, Netflix and MyVerizon fully supported and working on the Tbolt by now.

fatboy97 getting bent out of shape AGAIN!!!! Nothing new here... ;););););););););););););)

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
fatboy97 getting bent out of shape AGAIN!!!! Nothing new here... ;););););););););););););)

Funny guy Mike!!!

I just thought I'd let the people that MIGHT be able to make a difference in the whole thing hear it, instead of just talking about something here... and after that, then let others know what they said here on the forum.

After all most of us have waited a while for some of these apps... and I think it's time they heard us... even those of us that try to help others with their issues on these forums. I'd really like to see Netflix on here right now... then see what Skype is all about (I've never used it before, but I've seen it being used by others on a PC)... and why can't they deliver their own MyVerizon app!!!

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Skype baked into contacts was promised when Thunderbolt was announced but hasn't been delivered yet. It is a different story that I have been using the leaked version. Same goes for MyVerizon. What other Verizon apps don't work? Does NFL app work? I haven't tried yet. I am not sure whether Netflix was promised or not but calling Thunderbolt VZW's flagship LTE phone (either officially or unofficially) or calling it the one after the dream phone and skipping over it is kinda disappointing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So, funny bit of a contradiction here that makes me want to just tell everyone to ignore the VZW Support twitter:

Skype for Android is a 3rd party app developed by Skype and not supported by VZW.

Skype Mobile and Skype Mobile with Video (the Thunderbolt version) is developed by Skype *and* VZW, and supported by both.

The My Verizon app is just baffling... I do not understand what is so hard about adding encryption support for SIM cards? (That is the main programming hurdle for the LTE My VZW app)

Lastly, Netflix will likely be on the Thunderbolt very soon. They will test it for a bit on the Revolution, then port it to the Thunderbolt and Charge shortly after. It just seems smart to me.

Reactions: r007

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
well, that's not as ridiculous as when they said that phones with unlocked bootloaders could not be activated on Verizon's network.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Skype baked into contacts was promised when Thunderbolt was announced but hasn't been delivered yet. It is a different story that I have been using the leaked version. Same goes for MyVerizon. What other Verizon apps don't work? Does NFL app work? I haven't tried yet. I am not sure whether Netflix was promised or not but calling Thunderbolt VZW's flagship LTE phone (either officially or unofficially) or calling it the one after the dream phone and skipping over it is kinda disappointing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

NFL app does work finally... It worked on the Thunderbolt about a week or so before the draft last month.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Funny guy Mike!!!

I just thought I'd let the people that MIGHT be able to make a difference in the whole thing hear it, instead of just talking about something here... and after that, then let others know what they said here on the forum.

After all most of us have waited a while for some of these apps... and I think it's time they heard us... even those of us that try to help others with their issues on these forums. I'd really like to see Netflix on here right now... then see what Skype is all about (I've never used it before, but I've seen it being used by others on a PC)... and why can't they deliver their own MyVerizon app!!!

Glad you got the humor. :)

They have been "hearing" from us from day ONE - Me included. If they haven't heard us by now, they just ain't listening.....and they don't keep score on who helps and who doesn't. ;)

The list of grievances and fixes are long, made longer by the last OTA "fix."

They are probably spread too thin in their tech dept, prepping all the NEW phones, fixing the "old" phones takes a back seat.