Free Mobile Hotspot Extended to July 6th

rayzaname

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
See article HERE. Only time will tell, but we my not see an official OTA update until then...

From Verizon:
"Verizon Wireless has extended the Limited Time promotion for Mobile Hotspot and Mobile Broadband Connect on 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution) Smartphones, ThunderBolt by HTC, DROID Charge by Samsung, and Revolution by LG. The following are the Unlimited Hotspot promotion details.

Limited Time promotion available through 7/6/2011 which allows customers unlimited 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot and Mobile Broadband Connect usage until July 6, 2011 with the purchase of a ThunderBolt by HTC, a DROID Charge by Samsung, or a Revolution by LG, with a voice plan and a data package $29.99 or higher.

The $20/GB (Gigabyte) plan will not be available on 4G LTE Smartphones. On July 6, 2011 a software update will remove the Mobile Hotspot offer. A message will be sent to the end user to contact their system administrator to subscribe to Mobile Hotspot."

Last edited:
Reactions: SoDev and FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
See article HERE. Only time will tell, but we my not see an official OTA update until then.

From Verizon:
"Verizon Wireless has extended the Limited Time promotion for Mobile Hotspot and Mobile Broadband Connect on 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution) Smartphones, ThunderBolt by HTC, DROID Charge by Samsung, and Revolution by LG. The following are the Unlimited Hotspot promotion details.

Limited Time promotion available through 7/6/2011 which allows customers unlimited 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot and Mobile Broadband Connect usage until July 6, 2011 with the purchase of a ThunderBolt by HTC, a DROID Charge by Samsung, or a Revolution by LG, with a voice plan and a data package $29.99 or higher.

The $20/GB (Gigabyte) plan will not be available on 4G LTE Smartphones. On July 6, 2011 a software update will remove the Mobile Hotspot offer. A message will be sent to the end user to contact their system administrator to subscribe to Mobile Hotspot."
Haha... way cool! :D

--Frank

MOTOX2

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone help?... When i apply the mr2 update...for non rooted...im not rooted, will i still get future ota updates?

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I will be able to use it with my recent acquired transformer.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not so sure the anticipated OTA update needs to necessarily coincide with this.

While I agree the timing would be perfect (and those already running the leak have apparently noticed a change in the verbage displayed when the app is opened), there's no way that they could enforce a switch that way.

For one, many of us are rooted and running custom ROMs...we won't be installing the OTA obvioiusly, so would that mean we wouldn't have to pay for Mobile hotspot? (I highly doubt it). On top of that, even those that aren't rooted can elect to not install the OTA if they choose. Secondly, there are other devices that allow the 4G hotspot, as mentioned in the OP, the Charge and Revolution. Are they gonna push software updates to these devices at the same time? Again, I highly doubt it. My only point here is that there would be no reason to delay the OTA just because the mobile hotspot has been extended.

What's more likely to happen, it would seem, is Verizon will somehow "freeze" the app from working until an update (for the app) has been installed, or something like that.

Of course, I have absolutely no idea at all and could be dead wrong...but that's just the way I see it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone help?... When i apply the mr2 update...for non rooted...im not rooted, will i still get future ota updates?

Pretty much the only thing that could prevent that from happening is if Verizon decides to never actually release this update for some reason and move on to something else. VERY UNLIKELY at this point, but I believe that has happened before. Otherwise, you've done nothing other than instal a signed, "official" update, and yes, your phone will be in perfect shape to receive new updates.

wkoalmc2011

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
See article HERE. Only time will tell, but we my not see an official OTA update until then...

From Verizon:

Glad to hear this!

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Still have yet to see an offical post from VZ on this nothing on their website / twitter from any of there acounts. When I asked on twitter my response was "Had not heard that" this was 3 hours ago. So anyone direct me to a post that isn't a copy and past with no article link from VZ themselves?

rayzaname

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Still have yet to see an offical post from VZ on this nothing on their website / twitter from any of there acounts. When I asked on twitter my response was "Had not heard that" this was 3 hours ago. So anyone direct me to a post that isn't a copy and past with no article link from VZ themselves?

VZW may not have announced it publicly yet, but the folks over at Droid Life have a good track record with breaking this type of news.