My battery keeps getting hot and draining quickly

withravenoushunger

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my thunderbolt since launch and just recently the battery started to get hot and drain faster than normal. I'm not running anything different. It just randomly started happening. Anyone know why it might be doing this?

jfoofoo#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
are you in 3g or 4g area? have your area recently been getting 4g? my office sits on the border of 3g and 4g so it keeps jumping back and forth all day and that gets the phone really hot and burns like the battery like crazy. I finally put it on 3g only and the problem went away.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Check your sync settings. Make sure you are not double or triple syncing anything (i.e. Google verses Active Sync, verses Mail - Mail, Contacts, Calendar). Only one protocol should be syncing any one thing.

-Frank

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
i had this problem on all 3 of my thunderbolts. i'm sure it's software/firmware/radio related. i have this problem intermittently even when i disable background data. use juice defender to only turn on data when the screen is on. short of that, you can do a restart, but it's only a temporary fix. also, the mr2 radio seems to be less problematic for me.

putting it in 3g would also work, but 3g where i am is sometimes very slow.

WasatchRocks

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had my thunderbolt since launch and just recently the battery started to get hot and drain faster than normal. I'm not running anything different. It just randomly started happening. Anyone know why it might be doing this?

Since the first OTA, my battery has been very inconsistent, intermittent draining in large chunks and gets hot, very hot.

I called VZW tech support ended up with two clnr both doingthe same thing. And all running the latest OTA firmware.

I called again this week and was told I should wait cor next OTA and try it out.

Just tonight my batterey did the big drain from 68% to 7% in less than 1 hour.

I live in a 4G area with a strong signal since days one.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Mine has done this kind of thing twice. Last night was the second time. I was at a place that is a poor signal area for Verizon around here (yes, I have complained about it before). I used the phone a little, signal was going between 4G / 3G / 1X / None and voice bars 1, 0, or occasionally the little "x." Put the phone away, dozed off, about 3 hours later, down to 50%. Finally put the phone on charge around 4:00 a.m. at 16%, at 7:30 a.m. only up to 23% and very warm.

I normally use the Sense desk clock as my alarm clock.

It's currently turned off, still has an orange light, but is cool to the touch. I run Watchdog, and it has flagged nothing in both instances.

Both times this has happened, I have noticed that Angry Birds kind of "stuttered" while playing, so SOMETHING is going on.

EDIT: Battery was at 99% when I turned the TB back on at 9:00 am.

Last edited:

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I find that when i leave my home - with WiFi - and go into the wild i sometimes get "Hot Phone Syndrome" I think the phone has, or some app I have has trouble making the transition and gets stuck. To date, a reboot is the only way I have found to solve this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XCman