My G2 is Discriminatory against left-handed people

dazedniteman

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
So I have been having constant complaints from people saying I sound "muffled" randomly while we talk. Then, one day while driving, I switched the hand I used to hold the phone against my ear and suddenly the person I was speaking to said that they could hear me much better! All I did was switch it from my left ear to my right ear.

I know what you're thinking, I'm crazy. Well, I tried this three separate times and each time the "muffled" sound disappeared when I switched from my left ear to my right ear.

Am I really crazy or is this really a strange and random "bug" that I found? Does anyone else get complaints about sounding muffled?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Who knows?
What if the gyroscope or something else is not working properly?

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Depending on the way you hold it, the mic may be closer to or further from your mouth, hence the perceived sound difference.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So I have been having constant complaints from people saying I sound "muffled" randomly while we talk. Then, one day while driving, I switched the hand I used to hold the phone against my ear and suddenly the person I was speaking to said that they could hear me much better! All I did was switch it from my left ear to my right ear.

I know what you're thinking, I'm crazy. Well, I tried this three separate times and each time the "muffled" sound disappeared when I switched from my left ear to my right ear.

Am I really crazy or is this really a strange and random "bug" that I found? Does anyone else get complaints about sounding muffled?

Err, I don't think a bug like this would be possible. Maybe the way you hold it in your left hand vs your right hand is different and you cover the mic when it's on the right

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The bottom mic is towards the left side of the phone, so it is possible that the way you are holding your phone puts it in a suboptimal location relative to your mouth. If you have "enhanced voice privacy" enabled, you may be covering up the top mic when holding it left-handed and that is messing up the sound.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The bottom mic is towards the left side of the phone, so it is possible that the way you are holding your phone puts it in a suboptimal location relative to your mouth. If you have "enhanced voice privacy" enabled, you may be covering up the top mic when holding it left-handed and that is messing up the sound.

This👆

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I think you might just be covering the mic and not realizing it. I use my left hand to do mostly everything related to using my phone and I have never had any impaired functionality.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I tested my friend's G2 yesterday and tried to replicate your issue to no avail. As far as the person on the other side I sounded just the same when I called with the G2 on my right side and then when I called with the phone on my left side.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright guys I think he gets it now XD

I'm not sure, we're trying to help. I even used my friend's G2 to test it!
But the OP hasn't responded to any posts. Maybe help isn't needed anymore? :what:

dazedniteman

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, haven't checked this thread in awhile. I was actually being serious (as crazy as it is). I am still getting complaints when I use it against my left ear. I am not covering any mics or anything. I doubt that orientation has anything to do with sound quality, but that is, so far, the only thing that I have found that brings about a change in sound quality.

Thanks for trying it out. I guess I am just nuts.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, haven't checked this thread in awhile. I was actually being serious (as crazy as it is). I am still getting complaints when I use it against my left ear. I am not covering any mics or anything. I doubt that orientation has anything to do with sound quality, but that is, so far, the only thing that I have found that brings about a change in sound quality.

Thanks for trying it out. I guess I am just nuts.

Dang, that sucks. Have you talked to LG about it?