Backup before rooting

ivalum21

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android thus new to rooting. Is there a way to backup the factory settings/configuration before rooting so if I want to return it or need support help I can revert back?

kxs783kms

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
A factory reset erases everything and restores it to the "first time out of the box experience." You'll always have that option in your settings menu, so you don't have to worry about backing up settings/configurations or anything like that. Now if you're taking about system apps, then no, you must have root to my understanding. First off, most of the backup apps only work if your phone is rooted. (There may be some that don't need root. IDK.) Secondly,you have to root the phone to be able to remove/customize things from the system so that you have something to back up. The only way to gain access to that system (since it's read only), is to root it and change it to write only. Now once you root it, you can immediately backup everything, then proceed with removing certain apps from the system. Now I would warn and caution you, that there is no custom recovery yet. So if you did mess something up to bad, your backup may not do you any good. There are certain apps that you cannot remove because it is tied into operating system and can really mess things up. I was waiting for someone to post a list of what apps were safe to remove before I started freezing or removing things. Some people like to freeze the apps, but I like to remove them and save them to my external sdcard in a created folder called Removed System Apps. Same result at the end of the day. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ivalum21

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks kxs!

So even with Android phones that have been out for a while and the dev community has had ample time to play around, there's really no going back from rooting?

kxs783kms

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks kxs!

So even with Android phones that have been out for a while and the dev community has had ample time to play around, there's really no going back from rooting?

Sure. There is always the option to unroot it and set everything back to factory. It's usually just a certain command that you have to run, similiar to want you did to root it, that will allow you to unroot it. Good enough to not tell that it has every been rooted. Or there is usually a leaked OEM rom that you'll be able to run in that much needed custom recovery, that will allow you to restore to factory settings,unroot and remove the custom recovery all in one shot. Although I don't LG's track record on leaked roms or updates.

Last edited:

panerai7

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You'll be fine, once rooted, just use Titanium Backup and back up everything, then just rename apps you don't want from .apk to .bak, no need to remove them 'cause it's more work and you'll forget to put something back in the right place if you decide to go back, ask me how I know that :)

As far as Settings, like mentioned above, factory reset will bring all the settings back to out-of-the-box positions.

kxs783kms

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Again, with you being new to Android and rooting, I would not start remaining anything as of yet. Wait until we have all the proper tools and you know what apps you can remove for sure. Seasoned Android users know these things, so I really encourage you to watch and read as much as possible over the next couple of days before you go forward. We'll be enjoying our devices, while you're starting "HELP....." threads every where....lol!!

Last edited:

ivalum21

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
hahaha...you read my mind kxs783kms!

Thanks for the tips...I'll be checking this forum quite often over the next 30 days for sure!

EaglesFANdroidPHAN

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
made everything so damn easy these days rooting is cake , plus titanium makes it even easier ... you can read the general root guide on here and be ready in 30 minutes, and if you have any intelligence you'll understand it all

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non