Car charger for Note 3

astroprojector

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a car charger (the charger has Input 12V - 24V, Output 5V 1A). When I plug the Note3 to the charger I see the small lightning icon inside the battery that tells me that the phone is charging. However, when the phone is on during the Map navigation, I can see that the battery still drains.

Is it not possible to actually charge the phone using he car charger and it is normal for the battery still drain when the charger plugged in?
Is there a charger that actually charges the phone in the car?
What happens when the phone plugged in, but the battery ?

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
You need a stronger charger. The GPS in my old phone would drain a phone charging at 1 amp. I purchased a 2 amp charger and it actually charges it while in use. I like the 2 amp chargers that have 2 usb ports, this way you could plug in 2 phones for charging or regular use, but many are shared ports so if you were running gps, you would only be able to power the single phone. I have also plugged in a usb extension cable and powered phones in use by those in the back seat on long trips.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Nice 3 amp charger. I wish my 2 USB port charger would support 2 amp on both ports at the same time but mine shares the 2 amps between both ports. If I plug one item in I have a full 2 amps available, if I plug a second in it has to share the current between the two devices.

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
How long ago did you buy it. I checked the reviews on Best Buy and pretty much all of them say that it comes apart after couple of month.

I've had it for about a month now and have used it daily until a few days ago when I purchased the spare battery charger. No problems so far.

Posted via Android Central App

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
My note 2 charger copes with the note 3 running satnav and music, slowly charges it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
You either have a cheap charger (think gas station chargers), something's wrong with your phone (broken charging port/bad antenna/rogue apps etc), or poor reception.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
You either have a cheap charger (think gas station chargers), something's wrong with your phone (broken charging port/bad antenna/rogue apps etc), or poor reception.

OCRAP! Something is wrong with my phone too!

...OR it could be that that a 1 amp charger does not provide enough power to charge when running nav on a Note 3.

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Could be, which is why I typed in cheap gas station charger.

Just because it's a 1 amp charger doesn't make it a "cheap gas station charger". There are plenty of quality 1 amp chargers out there from older technology (likely some in my house). It used to be that a 1 amp car charger was sufficient to charge a battery and use nav. Worked out fine for me Blackberry Style and Epic 4G. Today's smartphones have much larger batteries (Note 3 is nearly twice the mAh of the Epic) and suck down a lot more juice.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a car charger (the charger has Input 12V - 24V, Output 5V 1A). When I plug the Note3 to the charger I see the small lightning icon inside the battery that tells me that the phone is charging. However, when the phone is on during the Map navigation, I can see that the battery still drains.

Is it not possible to actually charge the phone using he car charger and it is normal for the battery still drain when the charger plugged in?
Is there a charger that actually charges the phone in the car?
What happens when the phone plugged in, but the battery ?

When you plug it in under Settings/Battery does it say ##% (USB) or ##% (AC). If it says USB then it is only charging at 0.5mA. To charge in AC mode the two data pins must be shorted which signals the phone to charge at the higher current AC mode. If you use a 2.1 mA charger and a "charge only cable" (where the data pins are shorted) you will get the maximal current. Some car chargers come with cords that are AC mode with higher current already. I've used the below one and works.

Amazon.com: Anker? 18W / 3.6A Dual Port USB Car Charger / portable Travel Charger rapid Charger with One Built-in Micro USB Cord for Android and One USB Port for Apple Devices Including iPhone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s, 4; iPad 5, Air, mini; ipod Touch, nano; Sa
418TTWdNgWL._SY100_.jpg

I a haven't found any car charger that can rapid charge as fast as the OEM USB 3.0 charger that comes with the phone. I've tried this one that is supposed to but it contrary to the description only charges in USB mode and is worse than the above and essentially worthless:
Amazon.com: 5V 2A Mini Car Charger + Coiled Micro USB 3.0 Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 III SM-N9005 - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
41H0o43vIIL.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87