Camera covering?

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This may seem silly, but is there a protective film over the camera lens? I've cleaned it and noticed it seems to be more "plasticky" than the S3 like it might have a protective plastic film on it. I can't see any pull tab or anything and the pictures seem fine.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Whoa whoa Jenn.. did you get rid of your DNA for s4?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

LMAO! Of course not, you know I love my DNA too much for that. But I've been keeping an eye on these threads for a while now, and it's been passed around that there is a film outside of the protective shipping films.

Guilty of passing along non-first hand information ;)

Averix, many people seem to be taking it off and there is no damage, but it does seem to be hard to remove which would imply it serves a purpose. It's up to you whether you would rather have that extra protection, or remove it.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I read in a thread on here somewhere that someone actually called Samsung about the plastic over the lens and they said, 'remove it'. I'd take it off, definitely. My 2 cents.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
via Gnex

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Get it off. After looking further, it has a hole in the middle so the camera shouldn't be impacted. However, it may screw up light intake. Also, the bottom is sticky so with that hole in there dust could get captured underneath and then scratch the lens anytime you clean it.

Attachments

• lens.png
    lens.png
    409 KB · Views: 48

jrh4054

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Because the lens itself doesn't have the plastic cover, why not leave it on to protect the outer part. I left mine on and can't see any issues with the pics.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Because the lens itself doesn't have the plastic cover, why not leave it on to protect the outer part. I left mine on and can't see any issues with the pics.

For the reason I called out above. That hole could let dust in which would get stuck to the sticky surface between the lens and the cover eventually scratching the lens.

Posted via Android Central App

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
For the reason I called out above. That hole could let dust in which would get stuck to the sticky surface between the lens and the cover eventually scratching the lens.

Posted via Android Central App

that's why I decided to remove mine...

at first, I was just like, "whatever, it can't hurt to leave it on..." but then I noticed after just a week that dust was getting trapped under that film, so I decided best to try to get it off.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87