Upgrading Tbolt to S4 with unlimited

kman74

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I know the discussion on keeping unlimited data when upgrading has been discussed at length, buy I wanted to share my situation.

My unlimited data, day-one release Tbolt has been ready for an upgrade for a while. Side note: We upgraded my wife's line back in January from dumb phone to Rezound on a 2GB plan.

Here's where I think I screwed up. I pre-ordered the S4 on my Tbolt upgrade online using a 2GB plan because it wouldn't let me choose unlimited any longer. It just arrived yesterday, phone and new SIM. I haven't done anything so far in terms of activation.

Is there any way (fingers crossed) to keep my unlimited plan on the Tbolt line with my new S4? Anything I could do with my wife's 2GB Rezound line to aid in the process of keeping my unlimited?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my dying ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
return the S4 you have now. make sure your line is intact and your unlimited data is still there. (this is very important and should NOT be taken for granted).

re-order the S4 on your wife's line (via transferring the upgrade from you line).
activate the new S4 on her line.
re-activate the Rezond on her line.
activate the S4 on your line.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I know the discussion on keeping unlimited data when upgrading has been discussed at length, buy I wanted to share my situation.

My unlimited data, day-one release Tbolt has been ready for an upgrade for a while. Side note: We upgraded my wife's line back in January from dumb phone to Rezound on a 2GB plan.

Here's where I think I screwed up. I pre-ordered the S4 on my Tbolt upgrade online using a 2GB plan because it wouldn't let me choose unlimited any longer. It just arrived yesterday, phone and new SIM. I haven't done anything so far in terms of activation.

Is there any way (fingers crossed) to keep my unlimited plan on the Tbolt line with my new S4? Anything I could do with my wife's 2GB Rezound line to aid in the process of keeping my unlimited?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my dying ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Like the other poster say return it BUT DO NOT ACTIVATE THE PHONE otherwise you will lose unlimited and wont be able to get it back. Then go into verizon, transfer the upgrade to your wifes line let them activate it and then you can switch it to your line.

kman74

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I just checked My Verizon and it shows I'm still on unlimited data plan. Although it did change my upgrade date to May 2015

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I just checked My Verizon and it shows I'm still on unlimited data plan. Although it did change my upgrade date to May 2015

I still wouldn't risk activating the line until you go in store and verify it, trust me it will be much less of a hassle doing this than having to try and get unlimited back.

kman74

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you think I could return the phone to the store or would it be best to return it via mail, then go to vzw store for the new s4?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you think I could return the phone to the store or would it be best to return it via mail, then go to vzw store for the new s4?

you can return it to store, that would be quickest way and least amount of hassle since you could deal with employees to help you work everything out.

kman74

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
What's the likelihood that they'll be willing to help me keep unlimited? I hear they're being pains in the rear and driving everyone to tiered.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
What's the likelihood that they'll be willing to help me keep unlimited? I hear they're being pains in the rear and driving everyone to tiered.

as long as you activate it on the other line( not yours) there is nothing they can do. Make sure you ask multiple times throughout that you will be able to keep your unlimited data, don't let them pull a fast one.

kman74

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if I could call vzw customer service and have them do the return over the phone, get me the upgrade back, switch the upgrade to my wife's line...all while holding onto the s4 that I received yesterday??

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if I could call vzw customer service and have them do the return over the phone, get me the upgrade back, switch the upgrade to my wife's line...all while holding onto the s4 that I received yesterday??

I don't think it would work that way since they would have it in their system as being on your line but you can give it a try. Worst they say is no lol.

kman74

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just called vzw and yep, didn't work. I'll try in-store tomorrow. I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about keeping unlimited. I guess I'm being kinda selfish on keeping the unlimited. I average only 1.7GB/month, but the thought of not having it really irks me.

cwd500

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I went to a premium verizon dealer at the mall, and they told ke about upgreading on my wifes line the switching. The store was diamond wireless. They were very helpful

Posted via Android Central App

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Like the other poster say return it BUT DO NOT ACTIVATE THE PHONE otherwise you will lose unlimited and wont be able to get it back. Then go into verizon, transfer the upgrade to your wifes line let them activate it and then you can switch it to your line.

as long as you activate it on the other line( not yours) there is nothing they can do. Make sure you ask multiple times throughout that you will be able to keep your unlimited data, don't let them pull a fast one.

If you used the upgrade on your wifes line in January, Your only choice is probably to lose the unlimited or to return the S4 and buy it at full price. (Or wait and use your wife's upgrade next time around.)

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
This situation discussed above all makes sense to me. My situation is a bit different.

I am up for an upgrade, hoping to get the S4 after work today. I have two lines on my plan, both of which are currently on unlimited plans. Is there any way to get around switching to the 2GB plan in my situation without paying retail on the phone?

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
You will continue to have unlimited as long as you DO NOT activate it. You have to return it. You will most likely have to pay a "restocking fee", although, since you are going to buy it again, you may not have to do that. Not sure what they will say/do in the store as the VZW employees in the store are only sales people....We usually know 10 times more than them. IF they don't let you do it in the store, just return it, go home and transfer the upgrade online to your wife's line, and order it online. It should arrive within a few days as long as it's not backordered. If so, go back to the store. Really no reason they can do all of that in store, but you never know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45