Is Verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?

djslice

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?

I am leaving for Saudi soon and called Verizon to confirm the SIM issue with the GS4. The rep told me that the sim card must be a "usim" which only works with Verizon networks. Thinking about having my phone rooted before I leave the country. Interested to see what others have to say.

JohnnyBeGood

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

I will be traveling to Europe as well and reading thru this thread it doesn't seem like sim is unlocked? I've tried for the test using t-mobile USA and it wouldn't work not even voice!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

thenew3

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I have tested a T-mobile sim in a verizon GS4 and was able to make/receive calls and text but no data. This is a new GS4 just received from verizon. Only took it out of the box, inserted verizon sim to activate, then immediately removed and inserted tmobile (pre-paid) SIM and did the test.

So even in the US, using tmobile's sim you can make/receive calls and SMS with verizon's GS4.

Will have to explore further to see if I can get data working.

JohnnyBeGood

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

I have tested a T-mobile sim in a verizon GS4 and was able to make/receive calls and text but no data. This is a new GS4 just received from verizon. Only took it out of the box, inserted verizon sim to activate, then immediately removed and inserted tmobile (pre-paid) SIM and did the test.

So even in the US, using tmobile's sim you can make/receive calls and SMS with verizon's GS4.

I wonder why it didn't work in my case, I also have t-mobile prepaid. You didn't change any settings? Can you please post some screenshots?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

thenew3

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I wonder why it didn't work in my case, I also have t-mobile prepaid. You didn't change any settings? Can you please post some screenshots?

I didn't change any settings. just took the fresh GS4 out of the box, inserted verizon sim, activated, made a test call and text. then shut it down, took out the vzw sim, inserted my friends tmobile pre-paid sim, booted up, made test call and sms. both worked fine, no data connection.

and was able to get ride of the 'non-verizon sim' message by disabling "setup manager" app.
I don't have any screen shots right now as I only borrowed the sim for a few minutes for the test. (Was curious if it would work).

Next time I see that friend, or friends with AT&T SIM's I'll borrow it and test again and do a screen shot.

JohnnyBeGood

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

OK, looks like I did 2 things differently, first I don't think I've turned off phone off while swapping sim card and other one is how do you disable setup manager?

thenew3

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

OK, looks like I did 2 things differently, first I don't think I've turned off phone off while swapping sim card and other one is how do you disable setup manager?

go into settings, application manager, all apps, setup manager, disable.

JohnnyBeGood

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

I'm not seeing that exact application?

aby4uje9.jpg
pa8epaqy.jpg

thenew3

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Not app installer, scroll down towards the bottom of the list, there are two apps called "Setup Wizard" disable the one with green icon.

JohnnyBeGood

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Attached is the Screenshot for the reference in case someone runs into same issue. Will try once I get hands on the sim card.

JohnnyBeGood

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

I was able to get internet working on my friend AT&T post-paid account!

Voice and text worked but there was no Internet.
Here's correct APN info that needs to be added to Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names in order to get internet and MMS working.
Note: need to have non-Verizon SIM inserted

Taken from this XDA thread
APN: phone
mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri

Last edited:

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

To get data and MMS to work, you need to add the APN settings for T-Mobile's network. I've used my T-Mobile SIM in my Verizon GS4 and got voice, SMS, MMS, and data working. Let me know if you need the APN settings.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

thenew3

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

To get data and MMS to work, you need to add the APN settings for T-Mobile's network. I've used my T-Mobile SIM in my Verizon GS4 and got voice, SMS, MMS, and data working. Let me know if you need the APN settings.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Do you need to root it in order to change APN? Or is it simply inserting tmobile sim, reboot, go into mobile networks and changing APN?

JohnnyBeGood

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Do you need to root it in order to change APN? Or is it simply inserting tmobile sim, reboot, go into mobile networks and changing APN?
No root required, insert tmobile sim and hit menu while in "Access Point Names"
While Verizon SIM is inside the phone everything's grayed out.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

My phone is rooted, but root isn't needed to add a new APN. Apparently, Verizon didn't lock down the APN menu like it initially did with the GS3.

Don't change the existing Verizon APN. Just add a new entry for the settings required by T-Mobile and make sure to save the new APN. You may need to reboot afterwards.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:

JohnnyBeGood

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my Galaxy S4
My T-Mobile SIM is prepaid and it doesn't have internet but for the benefit of others can you please post the settings and someone else can test?

AlpineMan

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Give this one a try.

Here's an APN xml file pulled from an International version of the Galaxy Note 2...also added in Verizon Note 2 APN's: Download APN Here

For instructions on installing this APN xml file, follow "Method 1" (you need to be rooted): Click Here for Installation Instructions

Use the APN xml file I linked above...not the one in linked XDA thread.

JohnnyBeGood

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Give this one a try.

Here's an APN xml file pulled from an International version of the Galaxy Note 2...also added in Verizon Note 2 APN's: Download APN Here

For instructions on installing this APN xml file, follow "Method 1" (you need to be rooted): Click Here for Installation Instructions

Use the APN xml file I linked above...not the one in linked XDA thread.

My phone (S4) is not rooted but I'm curios what this does, once setup it makes your phone automatically connect to the internet on any GSM network in the world without a need to manually entering separate APN?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo