06-13-2013 08:02 AM
33 12
tools
    I hate the latest update forced onto my phone by Google. I can revert back to the prior version, but after a few hours it automatically updates to the newest version that I just removed. How do I turn off this auto-update mode on Gmail?? I have a Galaxy S4.
    06-06-2013 07:39 PM
    Go into settings and turn off sender image
    phantomog likes this.
    06-06-2013 07:42 PM
    What don't you like? There are ways off turning some of the new features off... if we know what you don't like.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-06-2013 09:43 PM
    A little too much going on in the new update for me too. Constantly getting two notifications for the same email. Talk about annoying when my phone double beeps for one email! Slide down the notification bar have it filled up twice with the same email. I went to priority inbox settings and unchecked sound notifications but to no avail. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Please don't get mad for nexus 4 user posting in Samsung forum. I did a search for gmail update.

06-06-2013 11:52 PM
    A little too much going on in the new update for me too. Constantly getting two notifications for the same email. Talk about annoying when my phone double beeps for one email! Slide down the notification bar have it filled up twice with the same email. I went to priority inbox settings and unchecked sound notifications but to no avail. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Please don't get mad for nexus 4 user posting in Samsung forum. I did a search for gmail update.

That may be something with the N4, I haven't had any of those problems with my GN.
    06-07-2013 03:57 AM
    I hate the latest update forced onto my phone by Google. I can revert back to the prior version, but after a few hours it automatically updates to the newest version that I just removed. How do I turn off this auto-update mode on Gmail?? I have a Galaxy S4.
    Do you have you apps set to automatic update? Mine will not update unless I go to my apps in Play and update it.
    jwm1024 likes this.
    06-07-2013 03:59 AM
    I hate that they took away the ability to check multiple emails in the inbox and then hit the delete key...now it requires a long press.
    06-07-2013 10:48 AM
    I hate that they took away the ability to check multiple emails in the inbox and then hit the delete key...now it requires a long press.
    Yeah so far that's the first real annoyance I've come across: no batch deleting.

There must be a way though. Other than that, I'm getting used to the new version. I am probably more tolerant though because I moved to a new phone less than a month ago after over two years with a different OEM.

My mobile life has been all about getting used to changes.

From my LG Optimus G E970
    06-07-2013 10:54 AM
    Yeah so far that's the first real annoyance I've come across: no batch deleting.

There must be a way though. Other than that, I'm getting used to the new version. I am probably more tolerant though because I moved to a new phone less than a month ago after over two years with a different OEM.

My mobile life has been all about getting used to changes.

It's a couple more steps then it was before but you need to first go into options and set it to have delete and archive at the top and not just archive which is the default. Then, while in the inbox long press the email you want to delete this will bring up the delete button at the top then you can touch each email you want and it will highlight each one then hit the delete button.
    RenoD2010 and kladysandroid like this.
    06-07-2013 11:18 AM
    You can also swipe to the side to delete, if you choose that option in General Settings. You have to swipe twice to complete, and I don't see a way to do batch deletes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    06-07-2013 11:35 AM
    Only if you remove the sender image (colored letter)... otherwise if you leave that you don't have to long press, a touch of the colored letter will select that and other emails.

****EDIT: Added that you can just touch the colored letter box to select the email.
    06-07-2013 11:39 AM
    was just given this. You must first long press email to highlight then you can press other emails to batch delete.

Here is a quick tutorial: How to Bring Back the Delete Button in the New Gmail for Android

Steps:

Here's how to get the trash can back on your toolbar:

1. Press the menu button on your phone, and select settings from the pop-up menu.
    2. Tap "General Settings," then tap "Archive & Delete actions" at the top of the menu.
    3. Next, you'll see a pop-up menu with "Show archive only," "Show delete only," and "Show archive & delete." Archive only is the default. Select the one you prefer. I like "Show archive & delete," because options are good things to have.
    4. Press the back button to go back to your message view.
    06-07-2013 12:01 PM
    1) Long press the first email you want to delete. This will bring up the action menu that includes the option to delete.

2) Then LONG press each additional email you want to delete.

3) Tap the trashcan icon and viola!

06-07-2013 12:02 PM
    You can also swipe to the side to delete, if you choose that option in General Settings. You have to swipe twice to complete, and I don't see a way to do batch deletes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Where do you find this, swiping only archives them...I can't find a place to set swipe to delete.
    06-07-2013 01:02 PM
    1) Long press the first email you want to delete. This will bring up the action menu that includes the option to delete.

2) Then LONG press each additional email you want to delete.

3) Tap the trashcan icon and viola!

You only have to long press the first email, subsequent emails can just be tapped to select then hit the trash can to delete.
    06-07-2013 01:05 PM
    All I did was download, didn't mess with any settings or anything and I can group delete just like I always did. As soon as I click a email the trash can come up at the top and I can highlight as many as I want.

Tapatalk mofo
    06-07-2013 01:51 PM
    You only have to long press the first email, subsequent emails can just be tapped to select then hit the trash can to delete.
    I was tapping the message preview not the header (the giant letter or contact image). If I tap the message preview it opens rather than multi selects.

06-07-2013 01:59 PM
    Where do you find this, swiping only archives them...I can't find a place to set swipe to delete.
    Open Gmail, hit the settings button, select General settings, then the second thing - swipe to delete. I HATED the update before I figured that one out. Now it's ok.
    06-07-2013 02:04 PM
    You can also swipe to the side to delete, if you choose that option in General Settings. You have to swipe twice to complete
    Double swiping has no effect beyond the first swipe.

06-07-2013 02:06 PM
    Open Gmail, hit the settings button, select General settings, then the second thing - swipe to delete. I HATED the update before I figured that one out. Now it's ok.
    The second item is swipe to archieve...I have nothing that says swipe to delete.

ETA: I just figured out you have to select to display delete only in the first option before "swipe to delete" shows up as the second option. If you chose both archive and delete then the second option is always swipe to archive.
    GB333 and MBM7881 like this.
    06-07-2013 04:09 PM
    I was tapping the message preview not the header (the giant letter or contact image). If I tap the message preview it opens rather than multi selects.

Oh, I got rid of the giant letter/contact image and you only have to long press the first time.
    06-07-2013 04:11 PM
    Oh, I got rid of the giant letter/contact image and you only have to long press the first time.
    That actually make sense.

06-07-2013 04:38 PM
    I think the up grade was an improvement in the gmail. So far no complaints with it.
    06-07-2013 04:52 PM
    Okay I just figured out you can refresh simply by swiping down your message list. THAT is very cool. Up until now, I had been tapping my capacitive menu key and then pressing "refresh".

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-11-2013 11:10 PM
    I don't have to long press at all. I actually just tap the icon on the left side of the emails that I want to delete and then after selecting the ones I want, I hit the menu button and select delete.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Attached Thumbnails Google Gmail Update-uploadfromtaptalk1371033627826.jpg  
    06-12-2013 06:41 AM
33 12