10 hours after getting my new s4 and i have to buy a new one. A litle help? :)

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
hey guys i just had a couple questions about my dads s4 and the problems were having with verizon. so my dad has had the phone for a couple days now, but the first 10 hours of buying the phone my dad took the phone out of his pocket and found the screen shattered. He doesnt know how this happened. went to work, took the phone out of my pocket and the screen was a mess! Our main problem is no insurance on the device. i told him to get it and he said that he would check out the phone for a week to see if he liked it.
I went in to the verizon store and talked to the reps there about my situation and they want him to buy another phone for $200+ which sucks since we just paid 200 to get the device. since he had the phone for less than 14 days could verizon possibly cut us some slack and save some money by returning the phone even though it broke it without insurance? Im also debating on taking it to a store to fix the screen but all the places around me want to charge $200 as well. Or i can manage to fix the screen myself. (youtube baby) anyways i just wanted some input if you dont mind on how we can possibly get a new s4, if not then thanks for your time and i can have him just buy a new one if all else fails.
thanks again guys.

kgeier82

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Pay for a new one. Why should you get special treatment from Verizon? Not being mean but own up. I know it sucks but stuff happens right :/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
hey guys i just had a couple questions about my dads s4 and the problems were having with verizon. so my dad has had the phone for a couple days now, but the first 10 hours of buying the phone my dad took the phone out of his pocket and found the screen shattered. He doesnt know how this happened. went to work, took the phone out of my pocket and the screen was a mess! Our main problem is no insurance on the device. i told him to get it and he said that he would check out the phone for a week to see if he liked it.
I went in to the verizon store and talked to the reps there about my situation and they want him to buy another phone for $200+ which sucks since we just paid 200 to get the device. since he had the phone for less than 14 days could verizon possibly cut us some slack and save some money by returning the phone even though it broke it without insurance? Im also debating on taking it to a store to fix the screen but all the places around me want to charge $200 as well. Or i can manage to fix the screen myself. (youtube baby) anyways i just wanted some input if you dont mind on how we can possibly get a new s4, if not then thanks for your time and i can have him just buy a new one if all else fails.
thanks again guys.

The only way for you to get it free is to prove the screen was defective. You could also be deceitful but that only hurts everyone else.

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
yeah sorry the screen on the phone doesnt work. but i can turn the phone on and receive texts and calls. just cant see anything.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
thanks again guys.

Pay for a new one. Why should you get special treatment from Verizon? Not being mean but own up. I know it sucks but stuff happens right :/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Frankly, at $200 they already are cutting you a huge break, since normally for something like this you'd be forced to pay full retail for a replacement if you didn't have insurance -- I would have taken that deal and ran if I were in that situation!

I admit your situation sucks, but it's hard to prove that a cracked screen was due to any manufacturers defect (which you would need to prove to get a free replacement), especially when there doesn't seem to be other cases of the same thing being reported.

Pro-tip: When carrying your phone in your pocket, always face the screen towards you -- that greatly reduces the risk of shattering the screen should you bump into anything, which I'm guessing *could have* been what happened here. Of course, you should also take care to not have other items such as keys or other objects that could damage the screen in the same pocket as well.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
thanks again guys.

This is exactly why you always should keep insurance on these expensive phones. I do and I never have to worry about having to purchase a brand new device. I am surprised they are letting you buy a new one for $200 instead of charging you the full retail price of $649. I would take the $200 and run and I would recommend adding the insurance.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
and THIS is why I always have insurance on my cellphones...way back from my days with the flip phones. yeah, take the $200 deal and run with it. i know it sucks, but it could be much worse.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Ya, sounds like you're out of luck.
What about getting one of those replacement screens that connects to your bottom input via wire? It looks like a screen and is very thin and just attaches on top of the current broken one. Only drawback is that you lose the bottom input while on.

I know I know, doesn't exist. But would be cool for people who don't want to spend a crapload for a new phone.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
thanks again guys.

Generally they would charge you full retail for a cracked screen which is always considered physical damage. That being said I have heard several stories of people taking the S4 out of their pocket and discovered the screen internally shattered. When I had the S4 and noticed the device actually creaked and bent when putting just a slight twist on the device I knew that could be trouble. I am not trying to bash the device because it is an amazing phone, but at the same time it is very delicate.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The phone probably flexed too much from being in his pocket. Personally I holster my phones (even if I do stick it in my pocket).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
thanks again guys.

I am inclined to agree with other posts that Verizon offering $200 for a new device is pretty generous. Take it and run.

joemontana

May 26, 2013
Visit site
When I got my first smartphone (a Droid Charge), I switched over to wearing nothing but cargo pants. I have nice khakis and jeans in my closet, but I won't wear anything that doesn't have a pocket I can dedicate to my phone.:)

completely agree!! but still, the phone is a bit large and will take time to get used to in pockets.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Generally they would charge you full retail for a cracked screen which is always considered physical damage. That being said I have heard several stories of people taking the S4 out of their pocket and discovered the screen internally shattered. When I had the S4 and noticed the device actually creaked and bent when putting just a slight twist on the device I knew that could be trouble. I am not trying to bash the device because it is an amazing phone, but at the same time it is very delicate.

I don't know if "very delicate" is quite accurate. I carry mine in my pocket all time...jeans, dress pants, shorts, etc...never had a problem with this or any device. When I hear the words "very delicate" I think of an egg shell. The S4 is indestructible that's for sure, but it's not like you need white kid gloves either.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
and THIS is why I always have insurance on my cellphones...way back from my days with the flip phones. yeah, take the $200 deal and run with it. i know it sucks, but it could be much worse.

How much is the insurance for a S4? After you drop the phone, and you need to file a claim, you get a refurbished phone if they can't fix it, right? Or a comparably priced model if you're model isn't available?

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
my dad took the phone out of his pocket and found the screen shattered.
This is like the 4th or 5th time that I've heard of this happening in the past couple of weeks. It's NOT a samsung issue, it's user error.

He doesnt know how this happened.
Are you being serious? LOL...He put it in his pocket. It's plastic. Plastic flexes. It may not flex as much as rubber, but it does flex enough to crack the screen. 'nuff said.

I went in to the verizon store and talked to the reps there about my situation and they want him to buy another phone for $200+
I've got to agree with them. User error plain and simple. Expensive mistake. Hopefully others will read this thread and not make the same one. Your one ace in the hole might be what credit card was used to buy it. Some credit cards will protect you in some of these instances. Check with the credit card company. As far as fixing it yourself you "might" be able to. Depends on how knowledgeable you are with modern electronics. On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being extremely hard to fix, 5 being a piece of cake to fix) the iPhone and the s4 rate a 3. Of course you won't have a phone for around 3 weeks while parts are being shipped and you repair it, but it's better than buying a new one. You can also put it up for sale on e-bay where someone else will repair and sell it. This is easier for you and then you can simply apply what you get for it toward the 200.00. This is one big advantage of the iPhone and the HTC One metal body, but even they will break if you put enough stress on them.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if "very delicate" is quite accurate. I carry mine in my pocket all time...jeans, dress pants, shorts, etc...never had a problem with this or any device. When I hear the words "very delicate" I think of an egg shell. The S4 is indestructible that's for sure, but it's not like you need white kid gloves either.

You are right, very delicate is a little much. What I should have said is I have heard of several instances where the AMOLED display has cracked under the gorilla glass but the device itself is not delicate.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if "very delicate" is quite accurate. I carry mine in my pocket all time...jeans, dress pants, shorts, etc...never had a problem
Famous last words... You've been lucky so far. Tempt fate and it's just a matter of time before it happens to you too just like all of these other people... Oh and it may not be 'very' delicate, but it's certainly delicate. That seems to be exactly how others across the net are describing it

Another s4 cracked

Cracked s4

And another....

Just google 's4 cracked screen' and you'll get plenty of hits. This guys s4 screen was cracked right out of the box. I really feel sorry for him because clearly it cracked during shipping. I seem to be seeing more problems with Gorilla 3 than Gorilla 2. Wonder if that's why samsung is reported to be going back to Gorilla 2 in the s5....