SD Card Not Recognized

Muhnamana

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
So a few weeks ago I popped in my micro SD card, mounted, formatted and what not and away I went. Worked fine up until last night. The card does not read.

I took the card out, put it back in, restarted, nothing.

I go to Settings>More>Storage and scroll the whole way down and "Mount SD card...Insert SD card" is grayed out.

I assume my card could be corrupt though. I'm waiting until I get home to try the card in my reader I have.

Could this also be a phone issue?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
What kind of card do you have and what size? I have read where the SanDisk 64gb cards will do that from time to time while the Samsung cards have no issues. As a matter of fact, this happened to the device my wife has. I copied her data from the card (it would read just fine in the PC) to the PC and then reformatted the card in the phone. Transferred everything back to the card and no issues since.

Muhnamana

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
What kind of card do you have and what size? I have read where the SanDisk 64gb cards will do that from time to time while the Samsung cards have no issues. As a matter of fact, this happened to the device my wife has. I copied her data from the card (it would read just fine in the PC) to the PC and then reformatted the card in the phone. Transferred everything back to the card and no issues since.

I got a Lexar 16G from Target (LEXAR 16GB MicroSD 600x w/Reader : Target) mainly to be used for pictures and music.

Is it possible to reformat the card on the PC first? I'm hoping the PC will read the card tonight when I get home though.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem ,what fixed it for me i just took it out and put it back in a couple of times. But, yes it is possible the card can become corrupt. I was also told my card reader could be going bad. Luckily, just taking it out and reinstalling has worked so far "knock on wood ".

Muhnamana

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem ,what fixed it for me i just took it out and put it back in a couple of times. But, yes it is possible the card can become corrupt. I was also told my card reader could be going bad. Luckily, just taking it out and reinstalling has worked so far "knock on wood ".

Well I hope its not the card reader, I just got the phone less than a month ago. I tried taking it out a couple times, no such luck yet.

Muhnamana

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Well some good news, a coworker tried to mount the same card in his phone, no such luck. That leads me to believe the card is corrupt. Sigh of relief for now.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I would remove any data and format it in the device. After you do that, see if the phone recognizes it. If not, then you'll know if the card is bad. You can format it via the PC as well, but I'd still let the device do it too.

webboftruths

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
The whole point is that you cannot format the card if the device (phone) does not recognize it. I think trying to access from PC (see ibcop's reply on 7/3/13) is the way to go.