Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 - Auto toggle Bluetooth in car?

pharologst

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know of a simple method that would toggle the bluetooth on when entering the car and toggle it off upon leaving? Most task type apps require some action on your part, but I might as well just turn it on/off myself. The NFC tag option at first seemed the way to go , but there were very many negative comments associated with this apps/method. All I want to do is get into my car, set the phone in the cupholder, and drive, having bluetooth come on automatically, and the reverse when i leave the car. IF one gets in and out of the car often as on local trips to stores, it's a pita to turn it on and then off manually many times.

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Have u tried the Llama app? It has a place where u can add "events" and u can probably set bluetooth to turn on or off when ur car is turned on. I use it to turn my wifi on and off when I leave my house (detects location based on the cell sites).

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Just leave it on.
It does not draw that much power when not connected. It's very low power.
I just leave mine on.

You will need to have an NFC tag or something.
Typically you use bluetooth status to trigger an event.
You could use GPS if it was location based.
You want something to detect when you are in your car to turn on bluetooth for the car..
Chicken and egg......

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I use Tasker... but without Bluetooth ON, your device can not recognize that it is connecting with your vehicle... so, I use Tasker to turn Bluetooth on when I leave known Wifi's (home and work) and off when it reconnects to my known Wifi's. I leave Wifi on all the time, since it does not draw that much energy. Otherwise you have to setup an active GPS location to turn things on and off, and that will draw a LOT more energy.

VAiPho

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Bluetooth consumption is really low, so it is not so important. But you can install "Bluetooth Launcher" to auto start apps for the car.

But the most interesting thing of this app is that it allows to listen aloud your incoming messages (SMS, Whatsapp, Line, Kik, Hangout, Facebook Messenger, etc) in your car handsfree, this is really interesting. And you can also listen to audio-books in your car.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.vaipho.bluetooth.launcher&token=KbjOQSRT

Zooks64

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just leave it on.
It does not draw that much power when not connected. It's very low power.
I just leave mine on.

You will need to have an NFC tag or something.
Typically you use bluetooth status to trigger an event.
You could use GPS if it was location based.
You want something to detect when you are in your car to turn on bluetooth for the car..
Chicken and egg......

I used to manually turn my BT on when I got in the car; I had AutomateIt set to turn it off when I connected to my home wifi.

After doing that for a long time I recently decided to just leave it on and see how my battery life was affected. Doesn't seem to have any impact at all so I'm just leaving it on along with the Wifi. This phone has the best battery life of any phone I've had. I can easily make it through a day but I have a back up battery just in case.

It really surprises me how many OEMs are fixing the battery in the case. The battery life is no where good enough for that IMO. I have to have a phone with a removable battery.

I did use NFC tags with my Galaxy Nexus to turn BT on and off but it was more of a hassle than it was worth.