lollipop update screwed up my texts

donniedoomsday3

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
ive been using my verizon s4 on tmobile for the past two years.
everything worked data mms calls and text perfectly.
with the right apn. and the mobile network set to gsm
i just updated to lollipop this morning
everything works but sending texts
ive set the apn to tmobile so data works
just no out going texts
ive chatted with tmobile and i followed all there instructions
except once they told me to check the messaging center number under the setings in the messaging app.
its not there. no where on this lollipop update can i find it.
can anyone help ??
please im so upset about this

donniedoomsday3

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Here are screen shots of the menu in the messaging app

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-02-13-22-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-02-13-22-47.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_2015-05-02-13-22-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-02-13-22-51.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_2015-05-02-13-22-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-02-13-22-45.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 58

androidsamurai

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
As donniedoomsday3 stated above, I too am using my VZW GS4 on T-Mobile and am having the same issues.

I just used Samsung Kies to update to the VZW Lollipop Update (OC1). I can Make/Receive phone calls, Receive Text/MMS Messages and I'm getting 4G LTE Data, but when creating or sending a Text/MMS it fails.

I have a Google Voice number and I'm currently using it in Hangouts to send Text/MMS as a temporary workaround.

If anybody had this issue or any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

androidsamurai

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
No, I honestly doubt there is a remedy to be found by rooting. Plus, at this moment there is no root method for the OC1 update after you have updated.

My only recommendation would be to get a Google Voice number as I have and use Hangouts(previously known as Google Talk) to send texts. Or at least until we can get this all sorted out.

It appears that we are not the only ones affected by the Lollipop update from Verizon. The Galaxy S5 on VZW is also experiencing the same issue.

muzo

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem happening on my Verizon S4 being used on T-Mobile. Can't send SMS but can receive them and can send/receive MMS/Calls. I've tried so many apn settings but I dont think the APN settings change anything with SMS.

I did notice that messages will send when it is not connected to 4G-LTE. So if you're on H or H+ it will send it looks like (also while on a call or right before it connects to LTE again). It still wont work if you turn off mobile data however. I've called TMobile and Samsung and no luck from either :-/

I've even tried a new SIM card, no luck

Anybody have any idea what may be causing the problem??

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have about 8 hours in with Verizon now. Droid Turbo and lolipop update messed up my messaging. we have done everything software wise and new sim card. They are now working with motorola and hopefully have a patch.

Messages sit as 'sending' and cannot receive. Its like its stuck in the network somewhere.

ier80899

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Here's my take... I have Verizon G2 and dealing with sporadic texts not sending.

IF I do a group text, it gets sent out immediately. If I do an individual text, it does not. Even if the individual text was written first and then a group text, there is NOT a delay with group text... the group text gets sent out but the individual text does not. It could take hours to an entire day sometimes to send out texts. I've done the normal stuff, task manager to close all apps, shut off and then start up an hour later, cleaned apps, turned on airplane mode and then back on, etc. I've driven across town and back and still the text was stuck "sending". I live in Orlando, so towers/coverage should not be an issue.

What I did find is a lead on "messaging center" for people who are having issues with individual texts. The info I found was for another carrier, so I'm not using their instructions because they would have a different messaging center number. I would love to hear more from other people - if they know how to update my Verizon "messaging center" since I don't have that option on my G2.

For now, here's the workaround... create a text to someone and then include yourself. It will go out.

But I would LOVE to have a permanent solution. I've been dealing with this sporadic issue for months. Sometimes, I don't realize a text did NOT get sent out until hours later when I realize I didn't get a response back. THEN I see my text is still "sending".

ier80899

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Follow up: I got hung up again with a text in Messaging app. So I tried Hangouts. NO hangup on individual SMS text in Hangouts. So I went back into Messaging app and the Messaging text is still "sending"... but the Hangouts text is received in the Messaging app. Two (2) hours later, the text is still stuck "sending" in Messaging app. Changed the default SMS app to Hangouts. Problem solved.

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem happening on my Verizon S4 being used on T-Mobile. Can't send SMS but can receive them and can send/receive MMS/Calls. I've tried so many apn settings but I dont think the APN settings change anything with SMS.

I did notice that messages will send when it is not connected to 4G-LTE. So if you're on H or H+ it will send it looks like (also while on a call or right before it connects to LTE again). It still wont work if you turn off mobile data however. I've called TMobile and Samsung and no luck from either :-/

Anybody have any idea what may be causing the problem??

I also noticed this through trial and error and astute observation. To find this thread I really had to type the correct search terms in to the actual verizon s4 forum on here.

Basically I got this phone for a great discount and it blows my HTX One XL out of the water with just about everything so what I plan to do as my daily driver. I had it for a week and everything was working perfectly until my text messaging didn't work. After two calls to at&t it worked for 5 minutes then stopped...and I couldn't figure out why. (I popped my att sim into the verizon s4)

I set the network to prefer h+ and when I want lte I will go into the settings and change it to lte. Texting is more important that using large amounts of data as I'm rarely traveling someplace without wifi nowadays. So I'm now able to SEND text messages instead of just receive them.

Magicman08

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Follow up: I got hung up again with a text in Messaging app. So I tried Hangouts. NO hangup on individual SMS text in Hangouts. So I went back into Messaging app and the Messaging text is still "sending"... but the Hangouts text is received in the Messaging app. Two (2) hours later, the text is still stuck "sending" in Messaging app. Changed the default SMS app to Hangouts. Problem solved.

A bit late to the party but using hangouts texts with your google voice account no? Not your sms number for your phone?

becky8878

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem and I'm about to try hangouts. cross your fingers! You should be able to send SMS texts from hangout from your actual cell number. There is a google informational page about how to send SMS and MMS messages from your android, but I can't link to it because I'm a newb :'( Google "send text messages (SMS and MMS) with hangouts on android" (that's the exact title of the article) for more info.

tehjosheh

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I solved this issue for my girlfriend's phone on AT&T. Not sure if this exactly applies but here is what I learned/what i did:

After a few hours of research i discovered the issue was two fold:
1) Phone cannot send text messages through 4G (so disabling 4G LTE - i know this sux, and instead using HSPA - not thaaat bad)
2) Cannot change the SMSC phone number the texts will go through

Here is what I did:
1) Rooted her phone using Kingroot (very easy 1-click root tool)
2) Downloaded and installed the app Advanced Signal Status
3) Opened Advanced Signal Status app and clicked "Additional Info" (this opens the phone's hidden menu only accessible after rooting)
4) Under SMSC I changed the field to "+13123149810" for AT&T and pressed update ***Note you will have to find the corresponding number for TMOBILE
5) I changed the preferred network type from LTE/GSM to GSM Auto (this disables 4G LTE and only uses HSPA)
6) Restarted the phone and it was able to send SMS messages thereafter.

Hopefully this works for TMOBILE as well (not sure if they have HSPA coverage).

Good luck!

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I filed a complaint here with the FCC.

Verizon's policy is that their phones are unlocked and they told me the phone is unlocked, but as far as SMS goes, it's not.

It's easy to file a complaint. I suggest that if you do so you use the word "locked" in your complaint.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89