Add a line for upgrades?

May 31, 2011
Visit site
So I'm interested in the Galaxy Nexus, and I also wouldn't mind paying a little extra for upgrades more often (I could always sell the phone I get if I'm content with mine), but I was wondering how that would work out. If I added a line online and ordered a smartphone like the RAZR or Nexus from the website, would I have any issues transferring that phone to my main line?

Thanks in advance :)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I'm interested in the Galaxy Nexus, and I also wouldn't mind paying a little extra for upgrades more often (I could always sell the phone I get if I'm content with mine), but I was wondering how that would work out. If I added a line online and ordered a smartphone like the RAZR or Nexus from the website, would I have any issues transferring that phone to my main line?

Thanks in advance :)

You'll still have an ETF on the new phone as well as the phone you replace with it. Assuming your contract is still in force. Whether you sell one or not doesn't affect the ETF.

However, adding a line is a routine way of qualifying for a subsidized phone. You can do everything on the website. But expect to keep paying $9.99+$30/mo data on the added phone for two years. Unless you pay the ETF.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:
May 31, 2011
Visit site
I thought that if you ordered online, they sent you the phone unactivated, so the data charge wasn't applied yet. And if it was applied, could I activate a feature phone on the line to remove the data charge?

dndooley

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
You have to activate a phone to the line. The phone doesn't have to work but it has to be a verizon phone of some sort. Just use an old cell phone and there will be no data charges and switch the new phone to your line.

Reactions: xxx4rch4ng3lxxx

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine that the data feature would be required for the two years of the contract given that you'd be purchasing the phone at a discount. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to get their money back over time.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine that the data feature would be required for the two years of the contract given that you'd be purchasing the phone at a discount. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to get their money back over time.

Just going off things I've read. Hmmm...
Actually, AFAIK, you are not required to keep a data plan on any line unless you have a phone on that line that requires it (which all new smartphones do, of course). But if you take the smartphone off of that line and put a dumbphone on that line you can drop the data plan on that line.

However, that does not relieve you from the smartphone purchase ETF. If you take a newly purchased smartphone off of a line and don't put it on another line, VZW will want an ETF fee for that phone. That's how they "recover" their subsidy, not via data plans. I think the new ETFs on most smartphones are pretty significant -- can't remember now, but around $350 comes to mind.

-Frank

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Frank, I thought the ETF applied to the line of service, not the phone? I've read where people will use their rebates on a "dumb"phone line, and then use that phone in place of their smart phone. They never mention an ETF and say dropping the data price is easy. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Frank, I thought the ETF applied to the line of service, not the phone? I've read where people will use their rebates on a "dumb"phone line, and then use that phone in place of their smart phone. They never mention an ETF and say dropping the data price is easy. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Actually I can't really figure out what exactly what you want to do. Best bet is to call CS and ask. It is routine to add a line to get a subsidized phone. And you can put it on any line you have. It's all this "I could just sell it" that confuses me about your intentions.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87