Adjust data bucket down to start next cycle. Double billed month?

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Family shared plan. Three smartphones. We're not using all the data we're paying for so I want to drop down a bit in the bucket we're buying. But I'm starting it the next billing cycle.

However, the wording of the new setup is you'll be billed both the current month of usage plus front billed the next month. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Thus, my regular $200 bill for 3 phones would be $400 next month. But online chat (HA!) says no. Single month amount, just adjusted down.

I've upgraded the data before but I did a 'change it now' choice but I've never done a 'next month' change.

Anybody know for sure what kind of bill I'll get?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You should be fine.
Lets assume the following:
1. Your billing cycle begins on the 5th and ends on the 4th of every month.
2. Verizon bills you for service in advance
3. You are paying $90 for 8 GB and move to $70 for 4 GB
4. You keep all of your other features on each line the same.

Lets assume that the most recent bill generated for your account for March 5th to April 4th. If you look on that bill (the PDF file on vzw.com or the paper copy), you'll probably see that they are billing you $90 for 8 GB of data for the period of April 5th to May 4th.

However, you decide to save money so you decide to switch your data plan on April 5th to 4 GB for $70
Now, the bill that you just received showing $90 for April 5th to May 4th is already printed and cannot be adjusted until a new bill is printed the next month. When you pay that bill, your paying it as if you were still on the 8 GB plan from April 5th to May 4th.

Now, a month rolls by and you get your invoice for the period of April 5th to May 4th. It'll realize that it overcharged you for your data last month since you switched to the 4 GB plan and recalculate and adjust It should look something like this:

April 5th-May 4 8 GB plan= REFUND -90
April 5th to May 4 4 GB plan =CHARGE +70

It will also charge you based on your current plan for the period of May 5th to June 4th because it bills in advance=CHARGE +70

So the total cost of your data plan for the bill after you make the change will be:

+70
+70
Total =$50 and since your data plan was the only thing you adjusted, it's the only part of the bill that will be affected

Does it suck that you had to give them an extra $20 last month--sure, but you get it back AND if you did the opposite and raised your data plan, you could basically get away with underpaying your bill but after the system generated the next bill, it would realize your plan had increased and charge you the difference + service for the month in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress