What woul dyou do

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
So I am trying to reduce some of my bills. My contract is coming to and end here shortly and what to get some advice. I have unlimited now but would lose it if I upgrade. I currently pay 135 for my wife, me, and a dumbphone.

I have been thinking of leaving verizon for a perpaid carrier. The bill would be about 90 for my wife and I .

So on to the question, Should I leave Verizon to save 40 bucks a month or just stay?

Any thoughts or Ideas welcome.:)

Jab73180

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Just take the dumb phone off the account, that will save you x amount of money. I have never used prepaid but understand that it sucks. They throttle your speed back a lot. Do you have LTE where you are? Does the prepaid service?

-Jason

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So I am trying to reduce some of my bills. My contract is coming to and end here shortly and what to get some advice. I have unlimited now but would lose it if I upgrade. I currently pay 135 for my wife, me, and a dumbphone.

I have been thinking of leaving verizon for a perpaid carrier. The bill would be about 90 for my wife and I .

So on to the question, Should I leave Verizon to save 40 bucks a month or just stay?

Any thoughts or Ideas welcome.:)

Prepaid is fine, but depends on where you are at, and what your requirements are.

Do you need a lot of minutes, texts, data? Nailing those down will help determine which prepaid plan to look for and it'll come down to which carriers are strong in the area. I assume you already have this figured out, however, as you mentioned a price.

If you will get comparable service with prepaid, then the only reason NOT to go prepaid is because of the phone selection being a bit more limited (depending on provider).

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You can check your average data usage in your Verizon account. If you find that you consistently use little data what's the point in keeping unlimited. If you haven't exceeded for example 2 gig or 3 gig you probably don't NEED unlimited. But some people are extremely reluctant to give it up for whatever their or reason.

I fought with myself for some time before I finally decided to go for one of the newer plans which was I think a couple years or so ago. At first I was real worried about losing my unlimited but when I really thought about it and checked my usage it didn't make sense for me to pay what I was paying for unlimited when I wasn't using it anyway and I could save a significant chunk of change. I went from $180 a month down to $123 for one smartphone and one dumb phone. Because I'm a low data user at the end of every month I still have plenty left over.

Before you move to any pre-pay plan do yourself a favor and call the company you're thinking of going with and ask them to give you specific information as to whether or not they have towers in your area that will give you what you want. I was all set to jump ship to tmobile a few months ago and I called them to double check that my note 3 would be compatible on their service. Lucky me got an honest rep believe it or not and he checked and told me that there are no 4G LTE towers in my area and that the most I would get would be 3G and in that case my phone was not compatible. I also did not want to go back to 3G service.

Deb from my Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can transfer the upgrade from the unlimited line to the non unlimited line, and activate on the non unlimited line. You would save $40 a month but keep in mind that you would lose subsidy. This means that the $200 iPhone subsidized would now be $650 Unsubsidized.

If you plan to use lower cost phones then prepaid could work but if you want high end smartphones, then it becomes about a wash.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I know about the subsidized phone cost . And that is kinda what holds me back . But I have checked with Verizon and there wasn't anything any cheaper than what I'm pay I'm paying now.

Posted via Android Central App