What are my options?

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
OK. Here's the situation... I currently own a Droid Incredible and I'm only 8 months into my two year contract. I've been playing with a Galaxy Tab for the past few days and realized what I really want - a phone with a bigger screen.

Can I get rid of my Dinc and upgrade to a Droid X (or even better, a Droid Bionic) without losing my shirt? :-/

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
OK. Here's the situation... I currently own a Droid Incredible and I'm only 8 months into my two year contract. I've been playing with a Galaxy Tab for the past few days and realized what I really want - a phone with a bigger screen.

Can I get rid of my Dinc and upgrade to a Droid X (or even better, a Droid Bionic) without losing my shirt? :-/

I had a DX under contract, and i wanted a fascinate, so 3 months into my contract,,i just bought a fascinate on craigslist for 350, then 2 months later sold my DX....i may have paid a little more but i didnt need to break or re-up my contract....thats an idea, maybe find a DX from someone selling here , in our market area, or from CL..

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

As a flip side to the whole thing, if you already have 2 lines, but not 5, you can sign up for a new line, throw an old basic phone on the new line, and use the shiney new phone you get for a good price (Droid X at costco for $30 i think right now). By the end of it you pay 9.99/month for a 2 year=$240+tax above the new line price for the phone, but it's spread over 2 years so it makes it a much lighter blow to the wallet. If you do your shopping for the new line you can get whatever you want extremely cheap. Don't go to a corporate store for a phone if that's what you do normally.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

Here is one thing I've been considering:

I may drop my DX off my plan, and replace it with a dumb phone. (I have several in my desk) This would eliminate my $29.99 data plan. I would then buy a G-Tab and activate that with the $20.00 data plan. I currently only use about 1 GB of data per month on my DX.

Net savings would be about $10.00/month, and I would have an extra large screen.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
you can sign up for a new line, throw an old basic phone on the new line, and use the shiney new phone you get for a good price

OK, so you're saying I can drop my data plan without voiding my contract? Hmmm... I didn't think that was possible, but something worth thinking about. Thanks!

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Are you the primary line? if so then wait until your one year comes up and then by then, the Bionic will be out. Upgrade to that. You are eligible to upgrade in a year if you are the primary.

But after you do the upgrade, you will not be able to upgrade annually since VZW did away with it. They will tell you that you cannot do it anymore, just tell them, "No, I can because that new policy came in after Jan 16, 2011 and I signed a contract before that and since you guys are breeching my contract, I can cancel and you guys cannot charge me"

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you the primary line? if so then wait until your one year comes up and then by then, the Bionic will be out. Upgrade to that. You are eligible to upgrade in a year if you are the primary.

But after you do the upgrade, you will not be able to upgrade annually since VZW did away with it. They will tell you that you cannot do it anymore, just tell them, "No, I can because that new policy came in after Jan 16, 2011 and I signed a contract before that and since you guys are breeching my contract, I can cancel and you guys cannot charge me"

Not true at all. Their end of the contact is to provide service, upgrades are just a perk. You get a phone for signing the contact, there is no such arrangement for finishing it. The contract for your end only obligates you to have a phone line, not specific services, for two years. wirefly and such require you keep the phone and services for 6 months or else they charge you a bunch for the phone. I hate to prop the competition but go to costco for the new line. It will be cheaper for the phone and you get a better in store warranty. Yes I sell verizon.

Getting the annual upgrade is correct however. Though it will expire after six months as will any new every two credits. Annual upgrades were a rip though. Twenty bucks above the highest price of ANYONE for a phone is ridiculous.

Last edited:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
When I called about that, the rep said said with the contract I signed, I am allowed to upgrade annually since I am the primary line and when the time comes to upgrade annually.

I should of known better then to listen to them but either way, in the contract or not, I am still able to upgrade since I signed my contract before jan 16.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I wish there was a way for me to take advantage of this. I'm not the primary line, I was forced to sign a 2 year contract in September (even tho I had signed my original one in March- I went through 7 crappy phones and in order to get a NEW phone, and not more refurbs, I had to sign a 2 year contract at that time, and I had had enough), and I don't have any old phones I could throw onto a new line (plus I don't think my parents would be down with that, they'd find it dishonest). I really don't think I can wait over a year until I'll be eligible for an early upgrade on my 2 year, but I feel I have no choice unless I want to pay a million dollars to terminate my contract and sign a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress