What is the deal with the Verizon store?

ChrisS9938

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so finally on Android. I got an unlocked LG G5. I checked from the point I got it until it arrived today. LG says it works on Verizon, every forum I visit says it works on Verizon. I get the phone and before I open the box, I go to Verizon's website and enter the ID. "Congratulations, you device will work on the Verizon network". Cool! Next step "enter sim card". Crap! I have an iPhone sim. So I make my mistake. I called the store. After giving them enough info to open a bank account, I get a very helpful person who says they have sims and they are free. Great! I don't have to wait for a sim in the mail. So I go to the absolute worst place on earth. Get a helper who firsts helps by getting an Apple sim (since obviously I would not be going from Apple to Android). Once she gets the right sim, she gets her little PSP thing and tells me it won't work on Verizon, only iPhone 6 and Galaxy can be brought in from another carrier (I told my phone was unlocked, NOT from another carrier). I have her ask her manager who wisely has her call somebody else who has to call somebody else who can finally help (BTW, she never admitted the problem was caused when she jumped the gun and entered the Apple sim). She's amazed! That's the ONLY phone that wasn't an iPhone that that has worked with. Its never worked (I remind you she said Samsung worked earlier, probably not an Android) with an Android phone. Then she mildly threatens me by say "I hope it continues to work". She claimed the mystery man on the phone had "a different system" from the store. What the heck? How can they not know an unlocked LG works on Verizon? How stupid are these people? Why do they have a drawer full of Android sims if they never work? I did learn one thing, next time I'll just order the sim and wait a few days. Since the computer must have the magic system. The chances were MUCH higher I would've taken my new phone and went to another carrier than to say "Well durn, I guess I'll have to pay $480 for the same phone with your bloatware." What is the motivation? To drive off customers? I never want to go back in there again.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Blimey! What a nightmare! A simple thing like that causing so much drama... Hopefully it's all sorted now. I love the satisfaction surveys I get after things like this from companies.... ;-)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Reps are normally clueless and only know what they're trained. They are trained to sell so they spout BS sometimes.

It'll continue working just fine. Just count it as a bad experience with a rep. It is hit or miss really.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The sims are different but you can get a $5 SIM cutter on Amazon and cut the sim and it will fit. It's easy to do and only takes time since you have to wait for the item to be shipped but after that, it takes seconds to cut it.

anon(39328)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I tried. It didn't work. They have different android and iOS sims.
I don't believe this is correct. I switch between iOS and android phones often by just swapping the sim cards. Most recently switched from ip7+ to a gs8. So long as the phones accept the same size cards, it shouldn't be a problem.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I tried. It didn't work. They have different android and iOS sims.

No as long as the sim is the the same, it doesn't matter which operating system it was on previous. When I switched from a Turbo 2 to the iPhone 6S Plus, I simply moved the sim card, no issues. All the sim is for is to register the device id to the network.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As other said as long as the SIM is the same size then you can swap freely.

There are "different" SIMs.

I was using the micro SIM from my wife's iPhone 6 in her Pixel. When we changed plans, that process error'ed out because that iPhone SIM was in an Android phone.

Yes, it'll work if you directly swap. But it could have issues later on when changing plans or adding lines to the account.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Another option is to just go in and ask for the sim card without letting them install it. I used the excuse that I was waiting on the phone to be delivered from elsewhere and didn't know when the next chance I'd have to visit the store.

When you get the SIM card home, hop into the Verizon website from a different device than the one you're switching out. You can do the changeover yourself and input the SIM info. I don't remember the exact steps, but it is possible.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There are "different" SIMs.

I was using the micro SIM from my wife's iPhone 6 in her Pixel. When we changed plans, that process error'ed out because that iPhone SIM was in an Android phone.

Yes, it'll work if you directly swap. But it could have issues later on when changing plans or adding lines to the account.

Most definitely. What works in a sim swap might not work through the a activation system. Verizon designed certain sims to work with certain phones.

The other thing you can do is to buy a new sim on eBay for a few bucks. You are out a few bucks but it would save you a lot of headache.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The store is just a showroom. The people don't know anything. I went there to get a case and they logged me into the hour long queue.

Never going there again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo