Is Verizon done growing?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Is Verizon as big as they can get. I don't mean technology wise, I mean spectrum. Is there any company for them to buy that would be beneficial for coverage. Or have they reached maximum coverage area and now it's just improve technology?. Thoughts

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'd have to look at the map
Off hand I can't think of any decent sized companies to buy that would be beneficial.

Just was thinking about it, if T-Mobile and Sprint merge, that could be problematic for Verizon and at&T. Personally I think the merging of cell companies is at a time that it could be bad for the consumer

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Off hand I can't think of any decent sized companies to buy that would be beneficial.

Just was thinking about it, if T-Mobile and Sprint merge, that could be problematic for Verizon and at&T. Personally I think the merging of cell companies is at a time that it could be bad for the consumer

I don't think Sprint and T-Mobile will merge, the talks hit snags again this Spring. Sprint is now having exclusive talks with cable companies. The are desperately trying to find someone to invest 10 Billion dollars.

T-Mobile is already growing fast and are now bigger than Sprint. Any merger would see T-Mobile running the show. Another problem would be the amount of debt T-Mobile have to inherit from Sprint and to cover the merger costs. Also, T-Mobile would have to slow down a lot of their expansion to find ways to move Sprint customers off CDMA.

On the positive a merged T-Mobile and Sprint would have a lot spectrum, but I could see the FCC maybe forcing them to sell some of the spectrum. Strange mergers happen all the time and this one may still happen, but I think if it was going to happen it would have already been completed.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
It is.. but it doesn't mean it can't be done.
Sure, but the cost is huge. T-Mobile just spent a ton on new spectrum. Do they really need to buy Sprint? The only big asset Sprint has is their spectrum. Why buy more now that T-Mobile just bought a huge chunk spectrum.

I think Sprint knows they would now be bought by T-Mobile it would not be a merger and T-Mobile would call all the shots. This is why Sprint is now looking for different partners. Sprint may fail in finding a partner and have to sell out to T-Mobile.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sure, but the cost is huge. T-Mobile just spent a ton on new spectrum. Do they really need to buy Sprint? The only big asset Sprint has is their spectrum. Why buy more now that T-Mobile just bought a huge chunk spectrum.

I think Sprint knows they would now be bought by T-Mobile it would not be a merger and T-Mobile would call all the shots. This is why Sprint is now looking for different partners. Sprint may fail in finding a partner and have to sell out to T-Mobile.
Need to? Maybe. Who knows. Sprint does have a crap ton of spectrum.

I was simply commenting on they've done it before so I'm sure it can be done again.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Need to? Maybe. Who knows. Sprint does have a crap ton of spectrum.

I was simply commenting on they've done it before so I'm sure it can be done again.

Yes that is Sprint's big advantage and problem - tons of spectrum and now cash to use the spectrum.