FIX FOR: Activation issues on the HTC EVO V 4G/3D

Stephen Campbell

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for posting this. After spending 30 minutes on the phone with the Virgin I finally did what I should have done in the first place and done a google search which lead me to your answer which solved the problem. I appreciate you taking the time to learn the solution and to share it with the rest of us.

oldvirgin

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
This is my 7th Virgin phone, so by now I know the drill... just got my evo v in the mail still in box. Read every post here. Now I wish to activate using a new # and new account to use as a hospot at home (hopefully). Any warnings with this? Activate online I assume before even powering up the phone? I wanted to at least play with the phone on my comcast wifi and see the 3D in action but the previos posts have tainted that idea. Thank for the support fellas!

berkeleybecca

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for these very clear instructions! I used them to successfully reset and then activate my new phone. You would think that Virgin would have fixed this issue seven months later, but no. :(

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Plz advise me how can i update my evo 3d when i going setting and sofywear update its showing ur phone up to date .
I m using 2.3.4
Htc sence 3.0
Plz help me

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Android Central

ZipLipZ

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Just transferred my phone from a Triumph to EVO 4G. I'm getting the 131 error. I'm on my second call to VM support. I've tried everything in this thread and nothing works so far. :/

StevenOracle

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Amazing that the HTC EVO V is incredibly difficult to activate. On top of that, the virgin mobile website activation option is "unavailable," as of this afternoon Feb 20 2013.
Also tried the lengthy phone-in activation a few times, ended up in the que to talk to a person. Waiting...waiting... so I thought I would post. TY for the cool work around trick.

-Virgin NOMORE

smcleish

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
First - I tried the factory reset that was suggested in the first post. I followed your instructions exactly, and while the reset was successful, the activation was not.

Second - here is what happened:
When the new phone (HTC EVO V 4G) arrived, I attempted to activate it online. I wanted to port my old number (via Verizon) to the new phone. When I attempted this, I received an error message. When I contacted Verizon, they said that my number was "chosen randomly" as a number that cannot be transferred. So, I called Virgin Mobile and asked them to activate the phone with a new number. Somewhere in this process, there was a miscommunication. Apparently, Virgin had contacted Verizon and argued with them about the number swap, and Verizon authorized the swap. SO - an account was created under the NEW number but my phone was activated under the OLD number (the Verizon number). Therefore, the $$$ I paid to gain service was stuck in the account for the new number, and my phone (with the old Verizon number) did not have $$$ on it.

After several calls to Virgin, I was finally able to get the money transferred from the new number to the old number. BUT then I was unable to send/receive text messages. Virgin told me that I needed to update the phone. So, I did. After the update was complete, Virgin asked me to re-activate the phone. I did. But there was an error of some sort during the activation and my phone is now saying that is has not been activated.

When I attempt to activate it, I receive an error message because it cannot connect to the network. I've also tried updating it again, in case the update was faulty, but again - I can't connect to network. SO - I tried the factory reset that you suggested, to no avail. It started the hands-free activation, but because it could not connect to the network it just kept "retrying" and failing.

Any suggestions going forward? I would prefer not to call Virgin again, if at all possible. I called a half dozen times yesterday and was either left to wait on-hold for upwards of 45 minutes or, after finally connecting to an operator, he/she hung up on me within fifteen minutes of the discussion.

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
You should really call vm again but try this:

Dial ##data#

Edit and password is your msl ( obtain with msl reader on market if you don't have it)

Hit reset and reboot

If still no connection connect to WiFi and update software, prl, and profile. And reactivate

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

immorrill

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info, unfortunately did not work for me.

What i did to get it working was

1 - switch back to my old broken triumph MEID
2 - after i received the email that the triumph was ready, i switched back to the evo v
3 - this time i used the MEID from the evo rather than the "serial number"

when i got the email, turned the evo on. activated right away

PS the first time i switched to the evo, noone told me not to turn the phone on until i got the email from sprint; of course i turned it on right away! There should be a notification when you swap!

shadetree75

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hoping someone here can help me....

Tried to do a phone swap on the VM website yesterday from Optimus to Evo V. I screwed it up because I was not aware of the difference in procedure for the Evo swap (power down both devices, etc). The result seems to be that my new Evo has programmed itself as a new device/service. Now I cannot do the swap online because the system shows the esn as in use. VM says they are working to free the ESN but I have little confidence in them. Any suggestions from folks here on how to proceed?

thanks

twelfth

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hoping someone here can help me....

Tried to do a phone swap on the VM website yesterday from Optimus to Evo V. I screwed it up because I was not aware of the difference in procedure for the Evo swap (power down both devices, etc). The result seems to be that my new Evo has programmed itself as a new device/service. Now I cannot do the swap online because the system shows the esn as in use. VM says they are working to free the ESN but I have little confidence in them. Any suggestions from folks here on how to proceed?

thanks

Try reading the first post and do a factory reset on your EVO as it said you should.

Sarah Conn

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much! My phone didn't have service yet so it couldn't connect to activate, so I cancelled it early. When I tried again it just kept me on the loading screen. After doing what you said, it activated really quickly! My phone works fine now.