[Rom] [Team Hydro] LG Optimus Q Rom

android newbie 248

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Since it was taken down and the thread locked.. I decided I'd put it back up for those who still want it. (thanks to rookie407 for this) "You can update the su binaries if you install busybox (*VERIFIED*). It is snappier, and you will get a better battery life. You need to have ClockworkMod recovery installed to do this... This is a stock rom with a few changes to lighten it up. You will also have root access after installing this.

1) Make sure you boot into a custom recovery (you do this by powering off the phone. you then hold the home button, the volume down button on the volume rocker, and the power button simultaneously until it boots into your custom cwm recovery), backup your current setup to be safe.
2) Wipe all data, clear cache, and clear delvik cache under advanced.
3) Install the .zip rom from the sd card...

Excellent thread and very helpful.
As an android newbie may I ask a basic question?
I have a rooted Optimus Q (LG l55c) phone on which I installed Titanium Backup.
Is the backup created by the method you describe different than the backup Titanium backup makes?
Thank you.

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes without a doubt. This is actually a full Rom. Think of it like installing Windows/Mac OSX/Ubuntu (or whatever your flavor of linux is). *I want to note I did not create this rom, this is the work of Jondevere and LG* This is basically the stock rom thats been lightened up and made to be a starting point for rom developers or people who want to have a Stock Rom that runs better than the stock rom LG/ST/Net10 provides you with. Also you'll have root access with this Rom.

You need to have CWM custom recovery installed to flash this. Which to be quite honest, if you have an android device you SHOULD have. It's probably the most useful tool you can have on Android. The sticky at the top of this forum walks you through the install process. With Titanium Backup you're simply backing up the apps and accounts you have. With a custom recovery you're basically taking a snapshot of your phone, (you're backing up the Operating System, the apps, and all the settings in one file.) IF you were to take a picture of a room with a camera, then clean the room... a cwm backup/nandroid backup is basically like pushing a button and being able to restore that room to that EXACT same state. This useful tool has saved my ... behind... on many occasion. This Rom is one of the only roms available for the L55C at the moment. Though I'm a member of another forum Android Area51 that is working on developing many more for the device and has a v1.0 release ready at the moment. Good luck and remember to make regular backups of your device before you go flash crazy playing around.

Reactions: android newbie 248

android newbie 248

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for taking the time to help a newbie. Although I am quite knowledgeable with computers I am completely new to android.
Thanks also for clarifying the Titanium backup question I had. I was under the impression it backed everything so this is most helpful to know.
Another basic question: because it is so important I want to be sure I am getting to the right instruction set.
The sticky at the top of this forum walks you through the install process.
I am not certain I found the correct sticky. Would you be so kind as to give me its url?
You need to have CWM custom recovery installed to flash this
Where do I get cwm from?
Thank you again.
I should have added, I already have ROM manager installed and it has an option to "FlashClockworkModRecovery". Is that what I need to do first or is there a separate utility to install called FlashClockworkModRecovery? The only rom available in romManager's "FlashClockworkModRecovery" Is LG esteem. Is that the correct one even though I have a LG Optimus Q (lg L55C)?

Last edited:

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you asked because Rom Manager is notorious for bricking peoples phones. Though it is a great tool for some phones, for others it does little more than turning your phone into a very expensive paper weight. http://forums.androidcentral.com/vi...how-root-custom-recovery-nandroid-backup.html ... <-- this is the thread you should be looking at. This is recovery, the recovery program we use for our phones is called ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM). If you already have the right drivers for your phone to be recognized...do not install the drivers in that thread. I am assuming you have given your phone Root access (Rooted your phone) and if so you have the correct drivers. I really recommend people use LG's website for their drivers for the L55C personally. The mobile update tool allows you to download your devices specific drivers. Though, this is most likely not applicable to you because I'm pretty sure you have working drivers at this point.

Android is a bit of a learning curve coming from a computer, but (while I dont know your proficiency with computers) it's not a huge learning curve. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but I'm sure you'll take to it quite quickly. Good luck if you need anymore help let me know.

Edit: You may notice that your phone says E:\ Bad Recovery or something of that sort when you boot into recovery following this. This is not an issue... you will still be able to take full advantage of custom recovery.

A few notes: From Recovery *Start with the phone turned off* (You enter recovery by holding volume down, the home button, and finally the power button (all 3 at the same time) until the phone boots into recovery.)
Wipe Cache then go to "advanced" and wipe dalvik cache. After this go ahead and make a backup of your phone now before you do anything like flashing a rom. Once you do that, you can go ahead and flash the rom in here. Or another rom if you're so inclined.

Last edited:

android newbie 248

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much. You are a great help.
On the [How-To] Root, Custom Recovery, NANDroid Backup ... generic page it says to

1) On your computer, download Flash_Image.zip.
2) On your computer, Download VM701_recovery.img

Are these the correct files to use for the LG L55C?
What do I do with "http://www.mediafire.com/?ftdiue6mbqcpfds" mentioned at the top of your thread?

Sorry for being so cautious. I want to avoid bricking my phone if I do not have to ...... ;-) Won't blame you if it happens.

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much. You are a great help.
On the [How-To] Root, Custom Recovery, NANDroid Backup ... generic page it says to

1) On your computer, download Flash_Image.zip.
2) On your computer, Download VM701_recovery.img

Are these the correct files to use for the LG L55C?
What do I do with "http://www.mediafire.com/?ftdiue6mbqcpfds" mentioned at the top of your thread?

Sorry for being so cautious. I want to avoid bricking my phone if I do not have to ...... ;-) Won't blame you if it happens.

Okay, I'm 99% sure the one on here is the one I used to install CWM on my phone. Though it's been a couple of months since I did so. Go here and install CWM following the directions listed: Custom CWM Recovery For the Q

As far as that mediafire link... download that .zip. Place the .zip on the root of your sd card... (basically just copy or cut and paste it to the sd card's main folder... eg if you sdcard is H:/ copy it to H:/ dont put it in a folder. Though you really could put it in a folder and then navigate to the folder from recovery we generally just tell people to put it on the root of the sd card.

I really do NOT blame you fro not wanting to brick your phone. I was very cautious with mine until recently, until I learned a lot more about the android os. Having cwm will alleviate a lot of your worries believe me ;) . Once you get a custom recovery installed and you make a backup your phone is ALMOST brick proof...so you should be fine playing around after that.

Reactions: demoptimus

beatdj24

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
OK so I have my phone rooted I have CWM recovery installed everything works great! When I tried to go to choose zip from sdcard and click on the rom you gave the link to it says it works and everything but when it reboots up it looks like it just set it .to factory settings. Did I do something wrong? Thanks in advanced

android newbie 248

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I'm 99% sure the one on here is the one I used to install CWM on my phone. Though it's been a couple of months since I did so. Go here and install CWM following the directions listed: Custom CWM Recovery For the Q

Hi jcole20
I followed the instructions as directed in
Custom CWM Recovery For the Q
and they worked perfectly in that I got no errors.
At the end the phone rebooted and I got a screen with several lines of options. (How does one move up or down to select a different option?)

At the bottom of the screen was:
CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7
E:Bad Boot message
"recovery

Not sure what to do, I click en the phone's Home button and the screen changed to show a hat icon.

I then clicked on Home again, and the screen with the options reappeared this time with "Power off" selected. I clicked on OK and the phone powered off.

Pressing down on the phone's Power button rebooted the phone and everything seemed normal.

So my questions are:
1. what did I achieve by going through the steps on Custom CWM Recovery For the Q? After rebooting everything looks just as it did before I did those steps.

2. Do I need to go through all these steps again every time I want to get back to that screen with the options or is there a shorter way?

3. How do I flash new roms should I want to?

4. Where do I find roms compatible with the LG L55C phone?

5. Can this phone handle android 4?

Thanks.

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi jcole20
I followed the instructions as directed in
Custom CWM Recovery For the Q
and they worked perfectly in that I got no errors.
At the end the phone rebooted and I got a screen with several lines of options. (How does one move up or down to select a different option?)

At the bottom of the screen was:
CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7
E:Bad Boot message
"recovery

Not sure what to do, I click en the phone's Home button and the screen changed to show a hat icon.

I then clicked on Home again, and the screen with the options reappeared this time with "Power off" selected. I clicked on OK and the phone powered off.

Pressing down on the phone's Power button rebooted the phone and everything seemed normal.

So my questions are:
1. what did I achieve by going through the steps on Custom CWM Recovery For the Q? After rebooting everything looks just as it did before I did those steps.

2. Do I need to go through all these steps again every time I want to get back to that screen with the options or is there a shorter way?

3. How do I flash new roms should I want to?

4. Where do I find roms compatible with the LG L55C phone?

5. Can this phone handle android 4?

Thanks.

That Bad Boot Message is normal for our devices. Every Optimus Q with custom recovery has the same message. To answer your questions...

1) You gained the ability to backup/restore and flash custom roms.

2) All you need to do to get to recovery again is turn the phone off. Hold in the Volume Down Button on the Volume Rocker, The Home Button, And finally the power button until you reach recovery.

3) You copy the rom (it will be a .zip file) to the sd card on your phone. You then Wipe Cache/Dalvik Cache. Make a backup. Then Flash the .zip by going to Install zip from sdcard in recovery.

4) Here, and AndroidArea51.com are the only two sites I know of at the moment.

5) Eh, its debated but I'm really not sure. I doubt it, but who knows. Maybe?

************************************************************************************

To move up and down in recovery use your volume rocker. Select options with the Camera Button on the side. You have to fully press the camera button though. Good luck!

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
No problem... the q also has working adobe flash. I hadn't been able to find it but ill upload it here shortly.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk

d1ck3y0da

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
i think some one should be a nice guy and make a video of how to install CWM. i see their is instructions on how to do it but i dont wanna risk the chance of messing up my brand new phone. videos are alot easier to follow. i see how to do it but i dont know if you type everything in a once of type or type in the first line and hit enter and then go to the next. so many different ways tha you could type it in and i dont wanna risk it without the proper help and i think its time for the Q to have its own thread. ill also be a bate tester for anyone that need tsomething tested once i do the CWM and do everything else i have to do just in case i mess it up. send me a msg or reply to this to help me out. thanks

***** disregard this i found what i was looking for*******

Last edited:

norfolk810

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
i love area rom q the only thing i dont like is that there are only 4 bars in the signal status indicator is there anyway i can change this

jcole20

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Its in the systemui.apk drawable-mdpi folder. If u can figure out how to navigate that u can figure out how to change it as its pretty straight forward. On this rom 4 bars = 6 bars on the old icons. 3 bars = 5,4. 2 bars= 3,2. 1 bar =1 bar and 0=0.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana