Using Optimus v as a Modem for my PC

SGH360

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well i rooted my phone, and i was wondering how can i do this with my phone? i want it to keep it as an emergency in case my dsl craps out on me. (happens occasionally)

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Download wireless tether from the market. If your rooted then you'll be able to use your device as a wireless hotspot.

Lewisham

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
No need, it's all in there as it's Froyo, Virgin just removed the menu item. Download Quick Settings from the Market, configure it to show you the Hotspot functionality, and access the menu item from there.

fchs

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
i have rooted my phone too...
i am using Wireless Tether for Root Users, befor i rooted my phone i was using Quick Setting.

but quick setting sux i never get full speed.. so did rooted and try the Wireless Tether for Root Users and now i get full speed and having alot of fun with it.... hope you do too..

SGH360

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
i seen the wireless tethering, i was hoping if there is a way using wired tethering (if you know what i mean) connecting thru the usb.

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
i seen the wireless tethering, i was hoping if there is a way using wired tethering (if you know what i mean) connecting thru the usb.

Easy Tether will let you do USB wired tethering...if you want to share that connection, you'd likely need to do it through Windows Web sharing.

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I was interested in this as well, using the usb cable to use the phone as modem.

I hate wireless tethering...

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

jmel

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][GPL] xtrROM5.0 odex,cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc[1/23/2011]

Download XTRom 4.6.5 (or 4.6) from that thread. Open up the zip and locate the Wired Tether apk (or USB tether, i forgot what its named). Put the APK on your phone's SD card and install using AndroZip or similar file manager. That SHOULD do the trick but who knows. Its worth a shot.

EasyTether lite and PDAnet free have their restrictions (trial period, unable to go to HTTPS sites, etc).

Here is the error (and you were right, it's called wired tether)...

"UNSUPPORTED KERNEL"

Sorry, but your kernel does not have the necessary features for tethering. Please see our FAQ:"

a link is then given, but I'm too lazy to retype that too.

Other ideas?

nerdmastax

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Here is the error (and you were right, it's called wired tether)...

"UNSUPPORTED KERNEL"

Sorry, but your kernel does not have the necessary features for tethering. Please see our FAQ:"

a link is then given, but I'm too lazy to retype that too.

Other ideas?
lol i just through trying that too, i have a cr-48 that is only compatible with that type of tethering... where it redirects you is the website android-wired-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code but they require the following

"Why do I get the message "Unsupported Kernel" on startup?

This means that the Linux kernel on your device does not have the features (CONFIG_NETFILTER/CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES and/or RNDIS) required for tethering. If you have an ADP G1, please read (or ADP16KernelUpdate if you're using Donut), otherwise you will need to find a firmware/kernel with these features. The developers of Wired Tether are unable to help with other types of devices (but donations of hardware/etc would help ;)

"

maybye someone can add these features in a new kernel (prettyplease)

anon(141613)

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If you want wired tethering, the only sites Easy Tether won't go on are secure sites for the free version. The program is $9.95 for the full version...the Palm version I used for years was $25. I will pay them the $10...it works and it's easy to set up...and try out the free one to see for sure.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
In my post above I included a link to easy tether pro I got it a year ago and I just reinstall it on every new phone I get. It is by far the best one I have used besides the built in one which the optimus v kernal does not support. I'd Luke to see Support added to GB tho!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty