Soap Box Rant RE: Ignorance

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I really wish people would investigate, research, and educate themselves fully on a process before jumping in and doing it. There is no modification I have made to any device I have ever owned that I didn't first thoroughly research proper process and all probable issues and the ways to avoid them BEFORE making the change to my phone. Some people go a little mod-crazy once they figure out they can do something and just start willy-nilly screwing up their device, just because they can and then whine when it doesn't work right because they shouldn't have been messing with it in the first place. Then they come to the forums and want hand-holding & spoon-feeding because they were too lazy to educate themselves in the first place.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, exhaust your GOOGLE SEARCH options on a subject and read everything you can BEFORE you do anything to your phone, BEFORE you even ask a question about doing anything to your phone. and DO NOT do ANYTHING to your phone unless you FULLY UNDERSTAND the process in complete and the IMPLICATIONS of making whatever change you are attempting to make.

</rant>

Reactions: chrissurra

FLDataTeK

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I am going to have to agree with you on this one. I did over 1 weeks worth of research before I attempted to root my phone.

Comming from iphone I knew things would be different so I wanted to be sure before attempting anything. Even now I am still on stock rooted rom until I am comfortable with the flashing process.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

chrissurra

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I definitely agree with you, even worse are the people who dont read and then return the phone to the store.

Coming from the world of Apple and the one click options it took me a bit more research and reading but I have no issues at all.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
anything u do to ur phone is fixable so who cares

most people dont care to fix it and simply return it to the store they bought it from. This causes problems with the manufacturer and the store because then the store is taking back an item that has a voided warranty, and the store has to send it back to the MFR like this who will likely NOT credit them for it because of what was done. Just because you deem your phone fixable after a close call doesnt mean others will.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
anything u do to ur phone is fixable so who cares

This isn't always true.

It's that attitude that results in bricked phones and manufacturers sending out their new models with Fort Knox bootloaders.

The bootloaders are mostly because of the carriers. And that's probably (logical guess here) so people can't do free wireless tethering.

I really wish people would investigate, research, and educate themselves fully on a process before jumping in and doing it. There is no modification I have made to any device I have ever owned that I didn't first thoroughly research proper process and all probable issues and the ways to avoid them BEFORE making the change to my phone. Some people go a little mod-crazy once they figure out they can do something and just start willy-nilly screwing up their device, just because they can and then whine when it doesn't work right because they shouldn't have been messing with it in the first place. Then they come to the forums and want hand-holding & spoon-feeding because they were too lazy to educate themselves in the first place.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, exhaust your GOOGLE SEARCH options on a subject and read everything you can BEFORE you do anything to your phone, BEFORE you even ask a question about doing anything to your phone. and DO NOT do ANYTHING to your phone unless you FULLY UNDERSTAND the process in complete and the IMPLICATIONS of making whatever change you are attempting to make.

</rant>

You are in no way obligated to help anybody that has a problem that they caused. People come to the forums for many different reasons. Some people come here needing help. Some people come here in need of help. If you don't want to help people that's your choice. Just remember that one day you might be the person that needs help. We were all n00bs at one point in time and needed help from more knowledgable people than ourselves.

One of the things I hear a lot from new members is that they keep coming back here because our members are more helpful and patient than on other forums. That's something that we as a mod/admin group is extremely proud of. Go to some of the other sites (xda for example) and ask a n00b question. See what happens.

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind helping people when they have real issues or have tried to educate themselves and need clarification on issues. I,myself, have needed help on issues and sought clarification from devs on techniques and methods.

My main issue is when people are too lazy to look something up or too lazy to read directions fully or educate themselves and then we get the same question asked 50 times or someone screws up their phone because they didn't want to bother with knowing how to fix it and they want you to hold their hand and do it for them.

I am not advocating the withholding of knowledge, what I am advocating is the non-indulgence of ignorance. There is a difference.

Last edited:

salemblack

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have had the phone for a week. I want to root it but I am still reading and trying to make sure I know all I can. I hack everything I own but I still act like its the first time even when I updating stuff. I am looking for the best guide right now, not sure what to do.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Salemblack there is a guide stickied in the roms forum.
Its pretty much the easiest out.

re:OP

I agree with you about people needing to research and atleast understand wtf they are doing. But also to a degree trial and error is not always a bad thing. Its how most of this stuff was figured out. However, if your not 100% positive something works then put the biggest most obvious disclaimer and warning in any guide posted. Im talking the max letter size in fluorescent yellow/orange/green to get peoples attention.

Reactions: salemblack

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Disagree with OP 100%. It's how people learn, if they're too foolish to rush into somethin, it'll only make them double the reading next time. And if they make the same mistake twice. . . they shouldn't be doin anythin but holdin a pencil.

salemblack

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Salemblack there is a guide stickied in the roms forum.
Its pretty much the easiest out.

re:OP

I agree with you about people needing to research and atleast understand wtf they are doing. But also to a degree trial and error is not always a bad thing. Its how most of this stuff was figured out. However, if your not 100% positive something works then put the biggest most obvious disclaimer and warning in any guide posted. Im talking the max letter size in fluorescent yellow/orange/green to get peoples attention.

I was just reading it. This place is great for information.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed