How many people have Gear VR?

Sleexus

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I own the GearVR for the S6 and love it! The only minus is that some games get me nauseous, but that was expected. Hopefully some smart human being will find a way to prevent this in the future, even for games like Omega Agent, wild roller coasters etc.

Sleexus

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I must have been very lucky since I have not yet experienced either fogging or over-heating on my S6. I played Herobound from 100% battery to almost zero, that being my longest session with the GearVR so far. HeroBound may not be the most demanding game though.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I own the GearVR for the S6 and love it! The only minus is that some games get me nauseous, but that was expected. Hopefully some smart human being will find a way to prevent this in the future, even for games like Omega Agent, wild roller coasters etc.

I've seen a video of the Omega Agent game but I didn't see that in the Gear VR store. I have the Note 4 version. I guess it's only for the S6 version at this point.

How do you like the game play of Omega Agent? Is it a game or just an app/experience?

Sleexus

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Omega Agent is definitely a game/simulator light. It's quite good, but the sea-sickness comes a bit to fast, so I have not really played it enough to say if it really good. Check out the GamesWithWolfsuka YouTube channel, he has a really good video showing Omega Agent. And a lot of other fun videos for us GearVR nerds. :)

Cosyn963

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Howdy!

I bought my Samsung VR unit for the S6 Edge just last week and have been blown away. Sure there is not alot of content and from time to time it tends to overheat but there are solutions for both!

Overheating: Alot of people have suggested aiming a fan or using an ice pack. I usually have my home AC set like the tundra so I don't really have a problem with that. If I'm at the office I just put a fan aimed towards the device.

Content: I've just learned how to make my own 360 photos using my camera. Go to camera<downloads<surround shot and download the program. From here you can shoot your own 360 photos and view them in the VR gallery. They look just as good as the ones that come with the camera once you get a knack for how it works. Also a friend of mine let me borrow his old HTC EVO 3d cellphone/camera. I spent the weekend taking 3d video and watching it in Oculus Cinema. Next step is splashing viewers with some water as they watch the waves creep up. 4D experience!

wojack

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Got mine for the note 4 two days ago. Had my note 4 for a few months now. discovered this accessory and thought its just dumb luck that I have one of the 2 phones that can do this right now. so I owe it to myself to get it. I knew I would like it. I love the 360 vids/ photos and oculus cinema. I have always loved going to the theater and have said there is no screen to big to fit in my living room. now I have the biggest theater screen I have seen in my face when ever I want. it is great.

(If I didn't already have the phone I don't know if it would be worth shelling out all that money for this. But it is a great phone too.)
So quick cons.
1. The resolution is great but that screen door effect has got to go. pixel density is the issue I believe. I heard it is much better on the s6 and makes me very excited for when they are able to double or quadruple the pixel density currently available. which I know they will soon enough.

2. Content! I will spare you the boring details of the lengths I have gone to get some movies on this thing. ( I think i will give up on converting 2d to 3d as the 3d effect is nothing compared to the awesome 3d trailer they already have. and I cant seem to get the image quality as those trailers but I have not tried to long yet.) Can anyone tell me a place to download good quality HD 3D movies straight to my phone that would be awesome. I would even pay something for them. because I see myself mostly using this thing to watch movies.

3. Cooling/ over heating. I have only used this thing for about an hr at a time a few times over the last two days and at some point I am always told I need to let the thing cool down. This has to be hard on my phone. I have always left the cover off. and the phones back off. I will try the fan and ice pack thing. I was thinking it would be even awesome r. if someone came up with like a heat sink or even a liquid cooler system. but I guess weight would be the issue.
(engineers consider yourselves challenged)

4. obviously this is petty but if there were some sort of motion tracking so the system knows my heads depth into something. having the ability to lean into and look over down and underneath a desk or peer around corners would make the whole thing so much more immersive.

Even with all those cons. I am very glad I have it. The ability to slip it on and escape to look at the stars from mars or watch a movie on the moon is exactly what I was looking for and it is awesome.

Oh and also I took some 360 photos on my recent vacation. before I got the VR and literally.... chills. I think when you are the one taking the picture and know what it is really like there. Then the 360 photo really brings you right back to that place. like a dream where time has stopped. it is totally wicked.

I highly recommend if you go anywhere cool. do the surround photosphere on you phone.

This makes me very excited for the future. I immageine in 5 yrs all of the above will be resolved and then some. as long as people are working on it. Which they will not if the market does not support this. so I (the market) am proud to support (Spend my hard earned cash on) this.
Sorry for the extra long post. I am very new to forums. forgive me.

wojack

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Agree. the "screen door" is awful. but I'm just gonna put up with it. I bet with in 10 yrs. 8 k will be everywhere. look at where we were 10 yrs ago.

wojack

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
not trying to spam one last thing. seriously. everything thing I google it telling me how to play hd 3d movies. I already know how now. I just can't find where. it would be awesome if the play store or even the oculus store. just had them. Anyone have any link to just get them. that would be great. thank you.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Got mine for the note 4 two days ago. Had my note 4 for a few months now.
Welcome to the forum and VR!

4. obviously this is petty but if there were some sort of motion tracking so the system knows my heads depth into something. having the ability to lean into and look over down and underneath a desk or peer around corners would make the whole thing so much more immersive.
I agree. That would help.

Have you tried the Protocol Zero game (one of my favorites)? It has this ability. You can peek around a corner by leaning your head forward. It's a pretty cool effect.

So I think it's possible with the Gear VR, at least give it a try in some of the apps and see if the developer took the time to implement it.

Oh and also I took some 360 photos on my recent vacation. before I got the VR and literally.... chills. I think when you are the one taking the picture and know what it is really like there. Then the 360 photo really brings you right back to that place. like a dream where time has stopped. it is totally wicked.

I highly recommend if you go anywhere cool. do the surround photosphere on you phone.
That's a great recommendation to keep in mind. I just had vacation a few weeks ago and should have done this. Bummer. Next time.

This makes me very excited for the future. I immageine in 5 yrs all of the above will be resolved and then some. as long as people are working on it. Which they will not if the market does not support this. so I (the market) am proud to support (Spend my hard earned cash on) this.
Sorry for the extra long post. I am very new to forums. forgive me.
Welcome again, no need to apologize. I'm glad you posted here. Hope you post back much more about your VR experience in the coming weeks as you try more apps.

I agree. For the first commercially available VR HMD, Gear VR set the bar really high and it only gets better from here.

I'm excited for the future of VR too!

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
not trying to spam one last thing. seriously. everything thing I google it telling me how to play hd 3d movies. I already know how now. I just can't find where. it would be awesome if the play store or even the oculus store. just had them. Anyone have any link to just get them. that would be great. thank you.

Probably not exactly what you are looking for but search YouTube for #360Video for many full 360° VR videos.

It's not the easiest to use with your Gear VR (start the video, don't plug your note 4 into the micro usb when you plug your phone into the Gear VR, watch the video in VR).

Bowhunter

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have one...it is awesome. ...but i just got the note 5 and now i will have to sell it...they better make it for the note 5 or ill be disappointed

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
That works perfectly. Awesome.

How would I view 3D movies on YouTube now? I can do 360 easily but what about 3d

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milaco