Brand New Idol 3, can't download updates

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Brand new Idol 3 (4.7) (6039s). Boot up, connect to wifi, connect to Google Account. Get prompt for the Marshmallow update, click to start it. A few minutes later get "Download failed, check your network connection" (never gets beyond 0%)
Reboot try again, same result. Do a full factory reset, sign into wifi, sign into Google Account, try system update, again fails claiming no network connection. Was able to update all apps via Google Play (so I know the wifi is working), but cannot get the system update to download. Suggestions?
Thanks!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Brand new Idol 3 (4.7) (6039s). Boot up, connect to wifi, connect to Google Account. Get prompt for the Marshmallow update, click to start it. A few minutes later get "Download failed, check your network connection" (never gets beyond 0%)
Reboot try again, same result. Do a full factory reset, sign into wifi, sign into Google Account, try system update, again fails claiming no network connection. Was able to update all apps via Google Play (so I know the wifi is working), but cannot get the system update to download. Suggestions?
Thanks!

Maybe try turning wifi off and download the update via network and see if that works?

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Maybe try turning wifi off and download the update via network and see if that works?
I only have a 2.5 gig cap for the month so I'd much rather get it to download via wifi. I've been trying from work, will try on my home wifi later on and see if I get any better results.

Steamie3

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks!

Take my word for it, You don't want the Update, it is nothing but pure GARBAGE, has my Idol 3 all screwed up. For one thing it destroys what we all use the sd card for,Wifi all messed up, mobile data don;t work at all, it is a complete MESS, everybody i know that updated hates it and wants to go back to 5.0 Lollipop, guess what TOO BAD you can't, once its in its in to stay. Big mistake.

etad putta

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up a 5.5 unlocked idol 3 from Best Buy at $150. Did the marshmallow update through the the phone itself. Love it!! Great phone at a great price!!

etad putta

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Take my word for it, You don't want the Update, it is nothing but pure GARBAGE, has my Idol 3 all screwed up. For one thing it destroys what we all use the sd card for,Wifi all messed up, mobile data don;t work at all, it is a complete MESS, everybody i know that updated hates it and wants to go back to 5.0 Lollipop, guess what TOO BAD you can't, once its in its in to stay. Big mistake.
Sorry it didn't work out for you. My 5.5 idol 3 is great. Maybe try a full reset?

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll jump back in. Did the update using Mobile Upgrade Q. Since it was a new phone after I ran the upgrade, I still ran a complete factory reset after it came up before setting the phone up for real. Then set the phone up for use by my wife. No problems with Wifi, mobile data or such as described by others in this thread. One thing I found that improved performance was to format the microsd card to be used as "internal storage". Camera and such seemed less laggy than it was when I was using the SD card formatted as traditional storage. Anyway wife is happy with the phone, so I am happy!