My Fire just got an update

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else get this? I booted it up this evening then as soon as I swiped in it rebooted then started loading an update.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I saw on the front page that an update (6.2) had been released, but it wasn't updating. Rebooting it triggered it.

Kuroth

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Odd.. Still shows 6.1 as the latest installed and Availabe updaet on my and rebooting did nothing.. Hope you guys did not get a Bata. :)

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine rebooted while sitting idle on my table and the launcher screen and applied the update. Didn't ask. If I hadn't been looking at it might not have noticed.

Now... anyone know what exactly it did? I saw one note that spoke of a facebook app, but I checked and its still the mobile link...

Bill P

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I just checked. I have System Version 6.2 and have no idea when it happened. I agree with aapold, I would like to know what it does.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Amazon's official statement on it: Kindle Fire 6.2

Amazon said:
Best-selling magazines: Choose from hundreds of magazines in our Newsstand. We think you'll love the magazine reading experience which lets you easily switch between Page View that replicates the rich design of the print edition and Text View for superior readability.
Children's books: Stir your child's imagination with beautifully illustrated children's books like Brown Bear and Curious George, many featuring Kindle Text Pop-up for easier reading.
E-mail: Check your e-mail - Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and more - from your Kindle Fire.
Facebook: The world's favorite social network is now pre-installed and pinned to your Favorites.
And more...

Um.... I think most of that was already there.

What they found at XDA regarding 6.2:

XDA said:
1. It removes root functionality, including the SuperUser.apk
2. It removes the Google Market app (some people say theirs is still working after update, so it could be how it was added/installed) and some of the other Google sync apk's that reside in /system/app (probably because that whole directory gets overwritten).
3. It overwrites the framework-res.apk file, so any customizations that were made to it (battery charge icon, custom wallpaper etc.), will be wiped out.
4. If you removed built-in apps like Facebook and IMDB before the update, they will have re-appeared again.

The thread notes they were able to get it back and rooted again straightaway, so it was mostly just an unecessary inconvenience. Apparently amazon is focusing more on making sure we don't do stuff than fixing broken stuff. As noted it still does not allow removing apps from the carousel, it still does not do auto brightness. Those are supposedly two of the easiest fixes for them to implement...

One further note - several people in the thread reported the silk browser seemed smoother and more responsive. I need to test this. Maybe they gpu-enabled it (according to anandtech this was something not done initially)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo