Why can't I delete texts in Lollipop containing numbers?

rob_moto

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Can't delete texts in Lollipop containing numbers

My Moto G recently upgraded to Lollipop and now I find I cannot delete texts if they contain numbers. My bank sends a mini statement every week; if I long press it I'm asked if I want to call any of the numbers in the text. Previously in Kitkat the usual delete, copy, forward options appeared at the end of the menu but now they don't.
I saw a question from someone in India who had the same problem and it was suggested he was touching the highlighted numbers. His reply is the same as mine: I make sure that I'm not touching any of them. He didn't get any further reply so I'm hoping I'll be luckier.
At the moment it appears the only solution is to delete the thread, which I don't want to do before anyone suggests it.

rob_moto

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Further update after much messing about. If the text contains numbers Lollipop appears to think you've tapped or double tapped on it and display the 'Choose action' menu. If you are sufficiently positive in long pressing then you get the 'Message options' menu. However Lollipop much prefers to show the former so a lot of tapping / pressing / holding is needed to eventually get the menu you want.
Perhaps it's just me.....

Chhayanat

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
This is still a live issue for Lollipop developers . All manner of pressing and tapping on the type of SMS texts of the type mentioned by the OP still yields 'Choose Action".
Chhayanat
Lollipop 5.1

Chhayanat

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Seems there is no progress on this issue since my last post on 30 April 2016. Long pressing on individual SMS message still yields "Choose Action" or occasionally "Message details." The standard menu with the 'Delete' function is not displayed.
The issue is a genuine one. If all conversations are kept then the phone will get clogged and create storage problems. If whole conversations are deleted, some useful sms texts will be lost. Therefore the ability to delete individual SMS texts needs to be restored. Clearing the cache doesn't work.

Chhayanat

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I took my phone — Moto E2 — to Motorola as it was within warranty. They did what they called a 'software' which they claimed was different from a factory reset. Consequently I lost my SMSs and Contacts. The latter were recovered through Google.. I had done a backup of SMSs and Contacts in my SD Card using Easy Backup and Restore. Easy Backup and Restore, when reinstalled after the 'software' could not restore the backup. Nothing was visible in the SD Card and the SMSs were lost. Motorola had warned me in advance of loss of data.
As to the SMS deletion problem, it was moderated but continues with many messages with embedded numbers, often refusing to display Message Options on long pressing the SMS. This appears to a cocktail mess mixed by Android Lollipop 5.1 and Motorola.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38