International Messaging

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a friend who lives in Russia and we talk quite a bit on the computer via IM. I am wondering what cheap (preferably free) options I have in regards to texting her?

westie3130

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
You can SMS to Russia to the cell for 5 cents per text with Voxofon. . Doesn't get much cheaper than that. Great app, and calls are inexpensive also.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a friend who lives in Russia and we talk quite a bit on the computer via IM. I am wondering what cheap (preferably free) options I have in regards to texting her?
Are you asking about IM or texting? IM apps (Google Talk, AIM, MS Live, Yahoo, etc) use data so there isn't any associated charge. Texting is a completely different story.

SnyperX

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Can't you use google voice to do that? It may just be Canada, but I was able to get the number GV associates with my friends phone number and text to that number which is a US number, so if you don't use the GV app (which will use data not sms), you can still use the carrier's sms with no additional charges for international texting.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you asking about IM or texting? IM apps (Google Talk, AIM, MS Live, Yahoo, etc) use data so there isn't any associated charge. Texting is a completely different story.

Texting. In my original post, I was referencing the fact that we used IM's to talk, but the ability to text and stuff once in a while would be nicer.