What is App 'Exchange Services' with Services 'SmsRelayService'?

A

AC Question

Hi, I have a Galaxy Note 3 and I've noticed in my Running Apps an App 'Exchange Services' that has a Services 'SmsRelayService'.

I've not noticed this before and was wondering (worried about) what it might be, as I did read somewhere that it could be that my text messaged are being relayed/ forwarded/ sent somewhere else other than my device, i.e. an email account perhaps.

I have tested the activity of the App running by restarting the device and checking running apps - it isn't there. However, as soon as a text is received, the App starts running.

Help, someone please tell me that this is nothing to worry about, or that I need to get my phone checked for spying!

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Exchange Services is a process that starts by default for users of Microsoft Exchange email. If you don't use a Microsoft Exchange email account, you can go to Settings > Apps and disable it.

SmsRelayService is required for text messaging. Leave it alone if you want to send/receive texts.

IOW, nothing there to worry about.

ThatRainGuy

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
I know this thread is old, but Exchange Services, SMSRelayServices, Is NOT required to send/recieve text messages. I have a rooted device and completely deleted that application. I just tested it and I can still recieve and send text messages. The only error I find is when going to email application it states that exchange services has stopped working. I still get emails though to the application. After looking into I had reasons to believe that this service could be used to forward your messages to 3rd partys. Which is why I tested deleting it in the first place.

It is NOT required to send and recieve texts. My custom ROM allows me to check what permissions my applications actually use. The only permission it ever used was "Recieving Messages". At first I turned this permission off and Behold I was still texting just fine. Then I deleted it completely and it still works fine.

Nearly every search on the internet about SMS Relay is a text forwarding service to send texts to another device (Phone, Email, etc).