Backspace Button While Texting Only Deletes One Letter

A

AC Question

My phone did an update yesterday and now when I am texting or sending an email the backspace button only removes one letter. Before the update, I was able to delete the entire word by pushing backspace once. Is there a setting I can change so this function returns?

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Samsung Galaxy S5, using default Samsung keyboard. Just upgraded to Marshmallow 6.0.1. Really annoying because auto correct gives you a word and you have to backspace multiple times to erase it. It's underlined when auto correct suggests the word so it should delete the whole underlined word but it removes the underline as soon as you it backspace which I think is causing the problem. Because without being underlined it can only delete one character at a time.

When I change to Swype keyboard the entire suggested word deletes when I hit backspace. So it's definitely something in the Samsung keyboard.

Devendra Panchal

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Maybe by now you must have got it resolved. I Had the same issue after upgrading to 6.0.1 on Galaxy 5.
You must be using the default SWYPE. Check on that same page in the Language and Input settings. You should find 'SWYPE - Swype'. Go through it, it will make you register the SWYPE keyboard and it further has its own settings from which you can install more languages, that you don't find in the main page outside.
With this done your auto-corrected word will delete in one touch.
Of course, this changes the UI of your Swype keyboard, but I found it as usable as the original. No complaints!
Hope this helps.

Neighborhoodist

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I'm having this exact same problem too (after finally installing this update to 6.0.1) on my galaxy s5. In swype (in gmail, or texting, whatever), hitting the backspace/delete button once immediately after entering a word with swype + predictive text used to immediately delete that last word. Now it just backspaces a character at a time. Super annoying.

I tried the suggestion in comment 5 but it doesn't work (or rather, I don't see any such options).

As Swype's own developers explained a couple years ago, "Swype is rarely off by just a little" - if it's not the word you want, you want to delete it, not fix the end.

How do I do this in 6.0.1?

Thanks!