Want to root NC- best CM version to use for what I need..?

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, thanks in advance for any help. I understand what rooting is, and how it works but I have never done it before. I am an iPhone/iPad user but love playing with gadgets and have a Nook Color at my disposal. I plan on setting it up with the most stable and fastest version of cyanogen mod. Thing is I have no idea what the best version is... I am hoping it will be Jelly Bean but I can't tell from the videos I have seen on youtube...

I want it to run youtube smoothly... web browser smoothly, some toddler/kids apps as smoothly as possible, and run email. I want to have access to the google app store (google play?)....

Oh, also I am planning on installing it on the internal memory not an SD card. I want it to be as smooth as possible.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

EDIT: After looking at cyanogenmod.com it looks like the most stable version is 10.1.3 which I believe is Jelly Bean... Anyone using this?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, thanks in advance for any help. I understand what rooting is, and how it works but I have never done it before. I am an iPhone/iPad user but love playing with gadgets and have a Nook Color at my disposal. I plan on setting it up with the most stable and fastest version of cyanogen mod. Thing is I have no idea what the best version is... I am hoping it will be Jelly Bean but I can't tell from the videos I have seen on youtube...

I want it to run youtube smoothly... web browser smoothly, some toddler/kids apps as smoothly as possible, and run email. I want to have access to the google app store (google play?)....

Oh, also I am planning on installing it on the internal memory not an SD card. I want it to be as smooth as possible.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

EDIT: After looking at cyanogenmod.com it looks like the most stable version is 10.1.3 which I believe is Jelly Bean... Anyone using this?
Yes, 10.1.x is Jelly Bean. I don't have a NC but it ran smoothly on my phone. CyanogenMod is one of the more popular ROMs because of how smoothly it runs and the features if offers.
The 10.1 ROM for the NC :) [ROM] CyanogenMod 10.1 Stable for Nook Color - xda-developers

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I have been reading up on rooting and what I need. Looks like I'll have to pick up a microsd card in worded to get it all set... I'm gonna. Give it a go this weekend and I'll post back with the results. I am worried it's going to run like a dog but we will see...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I have been reading up on rooting and what I need. Looks like I'll have to pick up a microsd card in worded to get it all set... I'm gonna. Give it a go this weekend and I'll post back with the results. I am worried it's going to run like a dog but we will see...
LOL, not sure how well it will run but CyanogenMod usually runs very smoothly on other tablets and phones. Good luck :)

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So I got it working very easily. While it's nowhere near as fast and smooths s my iPad, it is surprisingly usable and for the purpose I need, it will work well enough... I'm pretty impressed with the work of the Devs who have made this all work.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So I got it working very easily. While it's nowhere near as fast and smooths s my iPad, it is surprisingly usable and for the purpose I need, it will work well enough... I'm pretty impressed with the work of the Devs who have made this all work.
Cool, on a scale from 1 - 10 how smooth is it?
I have a Kindle Fire HD and I hate Amazon OS, if it could run CM I'd be happy. Probably has more support than the NC too :)

bkttk2

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If you don't need Jelly Bean I would recommend mirage ROM (cm 7.2 variant). It runs very smooth on NC and can be overclocked which really helps.

Sent from my LG-LS720

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It runs smoothly enough to use it if you are patient. It does freeze up for a few seconds and the screen becomes unresponsive for a few seconds sometimes. I would recommend doing it to your kindle fire since it has better hardware than the nook color. I am considering getting a nook HD at target on black friday for $79 and throwing this on it, should turn into a really usable jelly bean tablet.

EDIT: Scale of 1-10..... 5. I was expecting it to be a 1 or 2 so I was surprised to see it was functional.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It runs smoothly enough to use it if you are patient. It does freeze up for a few seconds and the screen becomes unresponsive for a few seconds sometimes. I would recommend doing it to your kindle fire since it has better hardware than the nook color. I am considering getting a nook HD at target on black friday for $79 and throwing this on it, should turn into a really usable jelly bean tablet.

EDIT: Scale of 1-10..... 5. I was expecting it to be a 1 or 2 so I was surprised to see it was functional.
Sounds good. Just wondering, why are you such a big Nook fan? Do you use it for reading or is it just the low price point?

brendu

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I got the nook color years ago for my wife and she barely uses it anymore so I got to try out rooting and turning it into a kids tab for my daughter. The idea of using the nook hd is simply due to its low cost.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress