Problems Rooting Prevail - Have tried everything

kbat115

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I got my Prevail from Walmart's Straight Talk program and wanted to root it when I realized how little I could do with it rooted. I've tried everything - including what was said on this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-replenish/90021-root-found-samsung-prevail.html

I always get this when I try to root it. I've tried double clicking the BAT file durring the reboot but it only restarts the process.

Any advice?

root.jpg

And I've done this about seven times now and gotten the same message.

fanatic205

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
If you have the new OTA update the old one click root doesnt work. youll need to look up restoring prevail to stock using a program called odin. they have two roms one rooted one not rooted. i ran into the same problem when i went back to stock from Shabbymod. the only problem i run into now is my phone says update availible but the update never installs jsut reboots into recovery mode

Hope this helps

here is thew link for odin

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/375550-odin.html

Last edited:
Reactions: kbat115

fanatic205

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
your phone should be rooted after you install the rooted rom, easy way to check is install super user it will let you know if your rooted or not

kbat115

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
It's rooted, but now I can't download/install any apps from the market... It let me install the apps I had already downloaded and installed from my SD card though.

kbat115

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Alright. I'll re-root it and see what happens :) Thank you so much for your help. Any suggestions on what to install after it's rooted correctly?

fanatic205

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I only rooted my phone to use tiatnium back up to uninstsall some of the bloat like telenav the stock email program Swype keyboard (hated it). i am using set CPU and super user thats about it for apps needing root

rfPapaBear

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I've searched, and I can't find a better thread to post this. I have a Prevail I rooted it with One Click, and I have Shabby Mod. All day, I've been getting the notice to download the Gingerbread system update, but from what I've read, I'm not supposed to do the update on a rooted Prevail. Is this true?

Another question about my root. There are still a lot of apps that I can't move to my SD card. I was under the impression that I'd be able to move them all. Did I screw something up somewhere? It's causing me to have very low space on my phone. Usually around 40MB's after clearing the cache of all my apps (I don't really have a lot of apps), and the update says it's 53.3 MB's.

Thanks.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I've searched, and I can't find a better thread to post this. I have a Prevail I rooted it with One Click, and I have Shabby Mod. All day, I've been getting the notice to download the Gingerbread system update, but from what I've read, I'm not supposed to do the update on a rooted Prevail. Is this true?

Another question about my root. There are still a lot of apps that I can't move to my SD card. I was under the impression that I'd be able to move them all. Did I screw something up somewhere? It's causing me to have very low space on my phone. Usually around 40MB's after clearing the cache of all my apps (I don't really have a lot of apps), and the update says it's 53.3 MB's.

Thanks.

Root itself is not what causes most of the soft bricks when updating to a different ROM version. Having custom recovery installed will cause a soft brick because the recovery will not be able to properly read the samsung signed update package. It is also possible that the rom differences themselves could cause some issues but I would think a factory reset before and after flashing the update would resolve any issues caused by the rom.

You won't be able to move every app to your sd card by default just with root. Root gives you write access to everything in the 'root' directory of the phone that's the base directory where everything is. So basically it unlocks everything in a sense.

As for moving your apps you currently have 2 options research either Links2SD or App2SD. Data2EXT would be nice but until someone compiles a custom kernel with the correct modules for the prevail that's not an option.

Reactions: rfPapaBear

rfPapaBear

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, sblood! I'm going to look at all my options in the next couple of days. In the mean time (I forgot to ask this in my first post), is there any way to get my phone to stop asking to update the system for now?

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, sblood! I'm going to look at all my options in the next couple of days. In the mean time (I forgot to ask this in my first post), is there any way to get my phone to stop asking to update the system for now?

I'm not certain. I know there was a way with the Optimus S where people would accept the update than immediately pull the battery. Not sure if that will work for you or not though.

rfPapaBear

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Update... I was never able to fully restore the phone to factory settings. ShabbyMod was still there, so I was afraid to install the Gingerbread update. I did, however, discover that I wasn't really fully rooted. I rooted again, and everything worked great for a while.

Today, the notification started again, asking me to update to Gingerbread. I read somewhere else that I can use Titanium to freeze the update. I want to try that, but I have one question. Does anyone know what the update will look like on my freeze list?

Thanks.

BladeRyoshi

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
im trying to root my phone, new to this whole prosses and read everything i can find on the forums, but i really dont know that much about programing or the techspeak..... im really only interested in removing this crap bloatware and get superuser rights from the 2.3.6 gingerbread... i dont mind the OS itself. can someone help with a basic how to "for dummies" so to speak?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38