Skeptical about the UI

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how it could be possible for it to have better battery life than the Charge. We're talking 33% more pixels, double the CPU cores, double the RAM... and only 8.5% more juice in the battery. The chips would have to be much more efficient to make up for all that. In theory, proper tuning could do alot for battery life, but that is probably still a ways off. What I'm realistically expecting is battery life somewhere between the Revolution and the Thunderbolt.

You have to take into account dual core is supposed to be better on battery also the pentile screen is supposed to use less power. I could see it getting battery life close to the charge not quite as good as the charge but better than the TB and revolution.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
It scrolls horizontally. I actually kind of like it. Also, you can set up groups of apps which is awesome for not seeing all the verizon bloatware or any icon (like live wallpapers) that you won't be pressing often.

Its not favorable for me. When the icons scroll side to side you sometimes need to scroll several times if you have alot of apps. If you have a big screen like the bionic might have this becomes annoying because you need more screen to complete a swipe. Like you have to reach with your thumb to make sure it completes the swipe. When the icons scroll vertically, a small flick on the side of the screen gets you were you need to go no matter how many apps you have. Hope i explained that right. Small thing, but it helps me navigate faster.

I do like the idea of the hidden apps though. This sounds useful.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Its not favorable for me. When the icons scroll side to side you sometimes need to scroll several times if you have alot of apps. If you have a big screen like the bionic might have this becomes annoying because you need more screen to complete a swipe. Like you have to reach with your thumb to make sure it completes the swipe. When the icons scroll vertically, a small flick on the side of the screen gets you were you need to go no matter how many apps you have. Hope i explained that right. Small thing, but it helps me navigate faster.

I do like the idea of the hidden apps though. This sounds useful.

You still will have to scroll the same amount as vertical since a set # of apps woils be displayed.

terrapin01

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You have to take into account dual core is supposed to be better on battery also the pentile screen is supposed to use less power. I could see it getting battery life close to the charge not quite as good as the charge but better than the TB and revolution.

The Droid 3 is already getting plenty of criticisms for battery life with those same components. They originally spec'd a 1930 mAh knowing that power would be an issue and then probably decided to cut down on the battery when they saw the slimness of the SGS2 and wanted to be in the same league. I wish they had cut down the battery after finding some efficiencies with the new hardware, but with the release of the D3, that appears not to be the case. I'm still expecting battery life to mimic the Revolution more than any other LTE phone.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
The Droid 3 is already getting plenty of criticisms for battery life with those same components. They originally spec'd a 1930 mAh knowing that power would be an issue and then probably decided to cut down on the battery when they saw the slimness of the SGS2 and wanted to be in the same league. I wish they had cut down the battery after finding some efficiencies with the new hardware, but with the release of the D3, that appears not to be the case. I'm still expecting battery life to mimic the Revolution more than any other LTE phone.

They did not cut down the battery. The original Bionic (Etna) had a 1930 Mah battery in it, but that phone was scrapped in favor of the "new Bionic" (Targa). The Targa design only accomodates a 1735 Mah battery and always did.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

All the reviews I saw said they were getting good battery life so where are you seeing these claims? And isn't Droid 3 battery smaller? Pretty sure it is.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
All the reviews I saw said they were getting good battery life so where are you seeing these claims? And isn't Droid 3 battery smaller? Pretty sure it is.

Yup, around the same size as the OG Droid.

On some forums people are complaining they are not getting much out of there batteries. I question if they have discharged them until power off at least once. I know the battery does not need this, but the phone needs this once or twice to properly "calibrate" the battery meter.

terrapin01

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

On the Verizon site the customer reviews list battery life as a con maybe a third of the time but as a pro hardly ever. Overall it's rated at 3.5 stars. Add lte to the mix as the bionic does and this is why I am not enthused. if this phone ends up delivering Droid charge type battery life I would be ecstatic.

Last edited:

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been following the D3 forums since I plan to go after work today and upgrade my wifes BB Tour to a D3 and I noticed that someone had figured out that the phones by default are on Global mode that destroys your battery time when you aren't in need of it being in global. They went into network settings and turned it to CDMA ONLY and that helped leaps and bounds because it wasn't trying to connect to the GSM (gave the guy a considerable amount of more hours of batt time). Battery for the D3 should be a non-issue in comparison anyway since #1 Bionic won't be a global last I heard and for the 4G most of the phones have a way to turn off that portion if it isn't needed and #2 they are two different battery sizes.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

terrapin01

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have been following the D3 forums since I plan to go after work today and upgrade my wifes BB Tour to a D3 and I noticed that someone had figured out that the phones by default are on Global mode that destroys your battery time when you aren't in need of it being in global. They went into network settings and turned it to CDMA ONLY and that helped leaps and bounds because it wasn't trying to connect to the GSM (gave the guy a considerable amount of more hours of batt time). Battery for the D3 should be a non-issue in comparison anyway since #1 Bionic won't be a global last I heard and for the 4G most of the phones have a way to turn off that portion if it isn't needed and #2 they are two different battery sizes.

Just checked out the D3 forums and yes, it looks like the out of the box CDMA-only mode is a killer if not changed. I like what I'm seeing over there.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
On the Verizon site the customer reviews list battery life as a con maybe a third of the time but as a pro hardly ever. Overall it's rated at 3.5 stars. Add lte to the mix as the bionic does and this is why I am not enthused. if this phone ends up delivering Droid charge type battery life I would be ecstatic.

My big question there is, "how many of those users are coming from dumb or feature phones?" Pretty much anyone coming from one of those phones would list the battery on the D3 as a con as they are coming from a phone that can usually go 3-4 days without charging to one they have to charge everyday.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
My big question there is, "how many of those users are coming from dumb or feature phones?" Pretty much anyone coming from one of those phones would list the battery on the D3 as a con as they are coming from a phone that can usually go 3-4 days without charging to one they have to charge everyday.

I am coming from the og droid, as soon as I switched to cdma only mode from global, the battery life jumped back to normal for a smartphone.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Also, a lot of people use their phone a lot more when it is brand new, thus eating up the battery.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Sadly most people are not intelligent enough to know to change that hence why some say it has bad battery life. So I am sure the majority just have something running that is chewing up the battery. But I'm not too worried because the Bionic will be a different beast entirely and anymore most smartphones dont have that great of battery life. Maybe moto made the battery last a little longer than normal for LTE we shall see. I cant see it being any worse than my thunderbolt that battery life is down right atrocious.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Sadly most people are not intelligent enough to know to change that hence why some say it has bad battery life. So I am sure the majority just have something running that is chewing up the battery. But I'm not too worried because the Bionic will be a different beast entirely and anymore most smartphones dont have that great of battery life. Maybe moto made the battery last a little longer than normal for LTE we shall see. I cant see it being any worse than my thunderbolt that battery life is down right atrocious.

I totally agree. Anything better on battery life than the Thunderbolt is good for me.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I finally got a hold of a D3, DX2, Thunderbolt, Rev. and Charge. And I have to say out of all of them, I really liked the D3 (overall).

The UI on the D3 was the best for sure, and the smoothest, no lag at all. The DX2 had a little lag and running 2.2. All the 4G phones had lag as well (also running 2.2). The 4G speed was nice, however. I have to say the best screen for browsing was either the Tbolt or Rev.

However, the best for viewing movies (youtube) was the qHD. The pentile is definitely noticeable and looked horrible in browsing. But still, it gave bright, clear, crisp display for film. The browser quality was fixed by enlarging the screen. :\. But I think I can manage that to save for good movie viewing etc. (I have great eye sight (15/20 last I was checked), so this may not be the same effect for everyone, I also caught myself looking for the pentile, if I wasn't, it was not as noticeable.)

In the end, the D3 was smooth, crisp, fast and enjoyable. If the bionic is anything close to the D3 (which I think it's safe to assume it will be) I will be very pleased. Also the new motoblur was the easiest to adapt to from my OG Droid. Tbolt, Rev. and Charge took a little time to move comfortably.

On a final note, the Charge's display was nice, but to dark for me and the oversaturated colors did come off a little jarring. So I plan on making due with the qHD.

Good luck!

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I took a look at the D3 today too. I have to say that Blur was very fast and not laggy at all like the older versions. The pentile screen did not bother me at all. I'm definitely looking forward to the Bionic even more after my experience with the D3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress