nfc chip workaround?

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
ok I know the Bionic doesn't have an NFC chip... just read David Pogue's review in the NYT re Google Wallet. Anyone heard of any workaround? I would love to use gw on my Bionic...:cool:

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I know that there is work being done on microsd cards with built in NFC but I don't know how close to being ready they are. But there really aren't a lot of uses for NFC right now. Its probably coming, but by the time there is widespread NFC usage, it will be pretty standard in phones. People who are clamoring for it in their phones right now mostly want it for bragging rights since its not very useful yet,

bigdanorama

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe,I mean, we can use a different battery cover since we have those connectors on the back. Next to the battery on the right. Maybe they can be reprogrammed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe,I mean, we can use a different battery cover since we have those connectors on the back. Next to the battery on the right. Maybe they can be reprogrammed.

The connectors are for the optional inductive charging cover. The microsd with NFC is going to be the best bet.

LrdAnkh#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
My biggest concern with NFC is that i see hackers developing a system that by getting near your phone they will be able to swipe your info without you having a clue.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I heard eventually they will be releasing stickers to put on the backside of the phone that will let you use google wallet on phones without NFC chips.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
My biggest concern with NFC is that i see hackers developing a system that by getting near your phone they will be able to swipe your info without you having a clue.

NFC chips have a range of less than 4 inches, so they would have to get pretty close. Plus if its on your phone, you would likely have to have whatever app(ie google wallet) running for them to get the information. There are already RFID readers that can get the information off your credit card and drivers license from several feet away without you having a clue. NFC will be much more secure than the sytem we have now.

Reactions: LrdAnkh#AC

bigdanorama

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
The connectors are for the optional inductive charging cover. The microsd with NFC is going to be the best bet.

I know that that's their purpose but maybe Motorola can do a software modification to use it for NFC...probably not though..lol