Droid Bionic Early Upgrade

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
This is getting way away from what the original post was intended for. I understand that loyalty means nothing to these people. By no means do I think that I deserve special treatment or anything of the sort. The only point I was making with that was that if someone was making late payments or a payment behind ect I'm sure that they would be laughed at when discussing an early upgrade. You would think verizon would want to keep around people that have been good customers for extended periods of time. I want to utilize their "premium" LTE service that will possibly carry a higher fee with it which in turn equals more money to verizon. I've already stated that a new contract is expected and there is no problem with it. Me being locked into a new 2 year agreement = more money for verizon in the long run.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

What you can do is get another line added. Then you can get the Bionic. They just canceled early upgrades. But they can't stop you from getting another line...

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
What you can do is get another line added. Then you can get the Bionic. They just canceled early upgrades. But they can't stop you from getting another line...

In this case, you just have to weigh the cost of keeping the extra line (including the data plan) versus the ETF versus selling the phone and purchasing off-contract. I did this and have ended up keeping an extra line, which I've used as an extra line for my kids. So for me, it worked out. But they've since raised the ETF to be pretty considerate.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I'll jump in I guess and end this circular conversation lol.

We have no idea at this point. Unless Verizon publicly announces some sort of deal, you'll have to pay full price to upgrade (unless you can transfer an upgrade from another line on your plan, if there is one). If any sort of announcement is... announced, expect to see it on the front page of this website.

Sorry about the lack of info, but there's really not any around right now.

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'll just go ahead and say no, you will get nothing more than your contract calls for. That's all you can expect and all you deserve. It's really as simple as that.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
No. Paying bills on time is what you pledged to do when you signed the contract. Why would they reward you for doing what you are legally bound to do?

You would have a better chance if you paid your bills a month in advance. LOLz.

dylanmail

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused. If you aren't asking for special treatment, why explain the difference between someone who pays their VZW bill on time every month and someone who is late almost all of the time? And, if you're OK with adding a new line to get the Bionic when it comes out rather than waiting for your current contract's renewal month to upgrade, why ask if you may be given an extra early upgrade offer from VZW?

downtownjeff

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I think that there could be an early upgrade. I stress could. If you remember correctly, VZW had an early upgrade option if you bought the DX near launch date. I think it was if your new every two date was before 12-31 or if you had less than a year left.

And I agree, loyalty don't mean squat to them. Or any other company for that matter. Comcast is one.

pixelslave

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Sell your Droid X on eBay. By the time the Bionic is out, if you sell your X and buy a Bionic, you might have to shell out about $350 to $400. Frankly, it is not a bad deal -- considering that you are switching phones almost 1 year before your 2 year contract is expired. Even if Verizon has an early discount for you, you ARE NOT going to be offered a deal to buy the Bionic for $199.

Fyrmedic654

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I think virtually any communication, entertainment, etc company is like this now. VZW cares about nothing but the bottom dollar. I had a small credit and tax change prior to bill generation, and missed $0.13(yes, 13 cents), they shut off my lines for that and expected me to pay the $15 reactivation for each of my 4 lines. Only after an hour talking between customer service, financial services, and supervisors did I gey it taken care off free, but they put me on cash only status and after 2 years, I'm still on cash only. Mind you that was the first and only time my acct had been delinquent. For the most part VZW customer service is piss poor(there are exceptions like some tech support and some CSR's, just the luck of the draw), but then again, most customer service sucks now regardless of what company it is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is good luck, and argue your point. The worst they can say is no, and if they do, just add a line. You dont get a credit (from what I gather, that credit is gone now anyway) but you get promotional pricing and the ability to upgrade every year for the 2 year price all for an extra 10 bucks a month. Kind of a win-win there.

snppr22

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Get a free upgrade

This only works if you are on a family plan, but in the stores they will sometime let you set up what they call dummy lines. You add a line, buy and new phone and transfer the phone to your line. They are not supposed to do it, but they will do it. Once they do it you cancel the line, it shouldnt have a cancellation fee. Worst case, you can call and complain to customer service, if you ask for enough supervisors and leave bad reviews for on the feedback number you will get high enough up that they can just flip the switch on an upgrade for you.

Reactions: JkdJedi

ateamlawn

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Under your contract you are elgible for an upgrade after one year. I just recieved a text message from Verizon a couple of days ago stating that I am now eligible for an upgrade. I have only had my Droid 1 for only one year. After you sign a new contract you will be under Verizon's new policy, which means you will wait 20 months for an upgrade.

snppr22

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think virtually any communication, entertainment, etc company is like this now. VZW cares about nothing but the bottom dollar. I had a small credit and tax change prior to bill generation, and missed $0.13(yes, 13 cents), they shut off my lines for that and expected me to pay the $15 reactivation for each of my 4 lines. Only after an hour talking between customer service, financial services, and supervisors did I gey it taken care off free, but they put me on cash only status and after 2 years, I'm still on cash only. Mind you that was the first and only time my acct had been delinquent. For the most part VZW customer service is piss poor(there are exceptions like some tech support and some CSR's, just the luck of the draw), but then again, most customer service sucks now regardless of what company it is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is good luck, and argue your point. The worst they can say is no, and if they do, just add a line. You dont get a credit (from what I gather, that credit is gone now anyway) but you get promotional pricing and the ability to upgrade every year for the 2 year price all for an extra 10 bucks a month. Kind of a win-win there.

Paying $9.99 for 24 months is a win for VZW. Although if you put a regular phone on the line, the cancellation fee should be less than $240. Whatever you do, just keep asking for supervisors, the higher up you go the better off you will be. Also, comb over your bill each month, VZW is known to tack on small charges and hope you dont notice. If you call each month to contest them they generally offer you something for the trouble and you can request an upgrade. The best charge to look for is the $1.99 per MB data charge that usually gets dumped on for Backup Assistant, even though they say its free. the FCC just settled a dispute with VZW forcing them to pay back $90mil in bogus charges.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Bigjotto, I am in the exact same boat as you (same carrier, phone, and even purchase date for my DX), and I've been their customer in excellent standing for the past 20 years. I'd love to be able to get LTE as well, but I really don't expect anything from them. After all, they are in it for the $$$. There does not seem to be many companies that care about their customers' loyalty anymore, unfortunately. :/

So I kind of found a work around to this by accident. This is what happened to me so take what you can from it.

At the time my main number was the one eligible for a renewal (wifes phone). I made the preorder for that line in July. When the phone arrived we switched the phone #s over so that the X was now with with my # and not the wifes, following me? I noticed that I now am still eligible for an upgrade. It was my wifes line that got extended for another 2 years, not mine. Even though the numbers got switched over. The main line stayed with the extended contract. So here I am with a fairly new X (from July) and I'm eligible for an upgrade.:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):););)

Guess who's getting the X in April.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The last time I can honestly say I saw a company surprise "loyal" users with an early upgrade with this past fall. I had several friends & relatives who had an iPhone 3G or 3Gs for a year or so receive word from AT&T that they could upgrade for $199 to the 16gb iPhone 4 and extend their contracts. Those people were able to upgrade 1 year into a 2yr contract....and since the iOS devices hold their value so well, they sold their existing iPhones for $1xx dollars and came out very well in the end.

So all of that activity that was around Sept-Oct of 2010, which is the precise moment i knew the VZW iPhone rumors were going to soon become a reality.

That said, I REALLY am kicking myself for not insisting on a 1yr contract instead of a 2yr when I got my DX last summer. Oh well!

Mbaverizon#IM

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
WOW! That's it in a nutshell--existing customers are "second class citizens" in the eyes of Verizon--they want new blood--hopefully, clients coming from another carrier. Incentives to stay with Verizon (IMO) are it's great network--NOT Verizon's treatment of me as a long term customer. The guy who just walked into a V store for the first time is the one they are out to impress. period.

Basicly hes right. But theres some verizon CS reps/supervisors that do care. If they can help they will, they dont want to lose a customer in hopes to get one, so some will work with you. And paying on time and being loyal does help a little. It always helped me. Good luck!!

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
This only works if you are on a family plan, but in the stores they will sometime let you set up what they call dummy lines. You add a line, buy and new phone and transfer the phone to your line. They are not supposed to do it, but they will do it. Once they do it you cancel the line, it shouldnt have a cancellation fee. Worst case, you can call and complain to customer service, if you ask for enough supervisors and leave bad reviews for on the feedback number you will get high enough up that they can just flip the switch on an upgrade for you.

Nice!!!! ThankYOU!!!!! Bionic !!! Bionic Here I come to save the dayyyyyyyyyy!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress