Thoughts on processor

BoostHungry

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Because Moto got burned with Tegra 2 and a non-moto LTE chipset, I doubt we will see any qualcomm hardware anywhere near Motorola phones in the future.

But, Moto's Wrigley chipset is actually pretty great, and isn't a hog like the other standalone basebands.

I don't understand what this has to do with Qualcomm? Tegra 2 is an Nvidia chip. The Qualcomm S4 is top notch partly due to its integrated LTE, so no need for a seperate LTE chipset.

The HTC One X is coming to AT&T with an S4 compared to the Tegra 3 in non-LTE markets due to how nicely the S4 plays with LTE. This is the reason I want to see the Fighter with a next-gen, 28nm Qualcomm S4 as opposed to an older 40nm based chip. That, and the benchmarks from the S4, its practically maxing out benchmark scales.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Somebody on XDA claims to have knowledge in regards to this phone and it's specs.

He said an A-15 @ 1.5. To me, that sounded like a TI OMAP5 (and a Q3 release), but he says it's an S4 @ 1.5. still on target for April.

Take it with a grain of salt. :shrug:

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Somebody on XDA claims to have knowledge in regards to this phone and it's specs.

He said an A-15 @ 1.5. To me, that sounded like a Qualcomm OMAP5 (and a Q3 release), but he says it's an S4 @ 1.5. still on target for April.

Take it with a grain of salt. :shrug:

OMAP5 is 6 months away from being ready. It could be a novathor chip or something else.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand what this has to do with Qualcomm? Tegra 2 is an Nvidia chip. The Qualcomm S4 is top notch partly due to its integrated LTE, so no need for a seperate LTE chipset.

The HTC One X is coming to AT&T with an S4 compared to the Tegra 3 in non-LTE markets due to how nicely the S4 plays with LTE. This is the reason I want to see the Fighter with a next-gen, 28nm Qualcomm S4 as opposed to an older 40nm based chip. That, and the benchmarks from the S4, its practically maxing out benchmark scales.

You missed what I was saying. Motorola has the knowledge and expertise to build their own chip. They have been badly burned in the past by using someone else's, and it would be a risk for them (in their eyes) to put that responsibility in someone else's hands. Last time they did, it gave them a phone with a 6 month delay that had to be scrapped and started from scratch.

BoostHungry

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
You missed what I was saying. Motorola has the knowledge and expertise to build their own chip. They have been badly burned in the past by using someone else's, and it would be a risk for them (in their eyes) to put that responsibility in someone else's hands. Last time they did, it gave them a phone with a 6 month delay that had to be scrapped and started from scratch.

Motorola may have made some chips in the past, but as far as I can see they have never made a CPU for a phone. They may still make LTE controllers that pair with CPUs, but only because previous-gen CPUs do not have an integrated LTE controller.

But my question still stands, seeing as the Qualcomm S4 does not require a standalone LTE controller, because it has an on-board LTE controller, how does Motorola getting burned by Nvidia and the use of a third party LTE controller effect their decision to use a next generation chip (CPU + LTE) where the CPU is guaranteed to "play nicely" with it's own LTE controller?

The down side to EVERY single current LTE phone on the market is that they ALL require a CPU and a standalone LTE controller. This added chip (the LTE controller) uses tons of extra battery.

And just to clarify, the Qualcomm S4 is the first ever chip to have an on-board LTE controller. This means there will be zero compatibility issues, and drastically improved battery life for LTE devices. Count in the fact that the S4 is a 28nm technology, compared to ALL previous CPUs being 40nm technologies, the S4 is going to be sipping power with it's pinky hanging free compared to the big-block beasts that rule the market now.

There is no need for Motorola to have to use a third-party LTE controller because there will be no standalone LTE controller. But if your saying that Motorola should have their own CPU in the phone, well then your barking theories that have no backing on a phone that is less than a month from launch.

And to get back on topic, I find it hard to believe that we will see any more phones hit Verizon that do not support LTE on chip. The Qualcomm S4 is going to rule the market for the next few months, and If you invest in stock, I would invest in Qualcomm.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Motorola may have made some chips in the past, but as far as I can see they have never made a CPU for a phone. They may still make LTE controllers that pair with CPUs, but only because previous-gen CPUs do not have an integrated LTE controller.

I never said they made their own processor. I said they made their own LTE chip.

But my question still stands, seeing as the Qualcomm S4 does not require a standalone LTE controller, because it has an on-board LTE controller, how does Motorola getting burned by Nvidia and the use of a third party LTE controller effect their decision to use a next generation chip (CPU + LTE) where the CPU is guaranteed to "play nicely" with it's own LTE controller?

Because Motorola likes having control, and their LTE baseband is already certified for Verizon's network. No kinks to work out, no additional certifications for it, nothing.

The down side to EVERY single current LTE phone on the market is that they ALL require a CPU and a standalone LTE controller. This added chip (the LTE controller) uses tons of extra battery.

Wrigley doesn't use as much as you'd think. Its definitely more efficient than any other standalone solution on the market.

And just to clarify, the Qualcomm S4 is the first ever chip to have an on-board LTE controller. This means there will be zero compatibility issues, and drastically improved battery life for LTE devices. Count in the fact that the S4 is a 28nm technology, compared to ALL previous CPUs being 40nm technologies, the S4 is going to be sipping power with it's pinky hanging free compared to the big-block beasts that rule the market now.

This is true, except for the compatibility issues part. Motorola believes it has a good solution in the form of Smart Actions however.

There is no need for Motorola to have to use a third-party LTE controller because there will be no standalone LTE controller. But if your saying that Motorola should have their own CPU in the phone, well then your barking theories that have no backing on a phone that is less than a month from launch.

I never said CPU, I said LTE chipset. Motorola is one of the oldest baseband designers in the business. It is not third party.

And to get back on topic, I find it hard to believe that we will see any more phones hit Verizon that do not support LTE on chip. The Qualcomm S4 is going to rule the market for the next few months, and If you invest in stock, I would invest in Qualcomm.

The LG Lucid doesn't, and I will wager the Fighter won't either. Given Motorola's past, a 4470 looks far more likely than an S4.

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit, the thought of the Fighter shipping with a Qualcomm S4 would be freaking awesome. I'm currently using a Galaxy Nexus at the moment and would love to go back to a Motorola device. Don't get me wrong, I love ICS, but the Sammy radios are not as good as Motorola's.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Based on the lack of LTE support with Tegra 3 (and the whole Tegra 2 Bionic debacle), it may be safe to say that it won't be powered by Nvidia.

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
are there lte issues with the razr and the maxx?

The issue is qualcomm will help moto get lte working with their processor as it is supported. Not sure about TI but the tegra chips aren't supported your on your own. There is a reason one x is using the S4 in there LTE phones. Same thing with the Asus LTE tabs. They said they would be using the s4 also

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Brynnae

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
What processor will Motorola put in here?

The TI OMAP 4470
The TI OMPAP 5430/5432
The Snapdragon S4

What do you guys think?

1. The TI OMAP 4470 is basically design for tablets.
2. The TI OMPAP 5430/5432 can run at speeds of up to 2GH
3. You can get faster Wifi in The Snapdragon S4.