Thoughts on processor

panerai7

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
If this phone wants to stay relevant for the rest of 2012 it'd better be a quad-core.
Otherwise I'll stay with Galaxy Nexus and people will stick with their Razr/maxx
Just IMHO

Reactions: heraldo

Basis

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I doubt they'll go with the Snapdragon, and it's way too early for phones to ship with anything that's OMAP5. It'll most likely be the 4430, and if Motorola is actually willing, I could see the 4470 being a viable choice, but I can see Moto somehow screwing things up.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
If this phone wants to stay relevant for the rest of 2012 it'd better be a quad-core.
Otherwise I'll stay with Galaxy Nexus and people will stick with their Razr/maxx
Just IMHO

There isn't a quad core that works with LTE yet, and this has been in development too long to be quad core. It will either be an S4, or more likely, an OMAP 4.

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Well considering this was built conceived last year it will not b quad. Probably 4470.

Cant agree more. Best case scenario, honestly, is 4470 at 1.5 per core. Nothing to sneeze at, but nothing to get overly excited over either.

Moto and Qualcomm dont have a big partnership, Intel might be in there....

blueletter

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I find it disturbing that some of you care so much about the number of cores, and not the quality of those cores.
Anyway my guess is either an OMAP4460 or 4470 given the time frame, but it would be interesting to see that new Intel chip in there for sure.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I find it disturbing that some of you care so much about the number of cores, and not the quality of those cores.
Anyway my guess is either an OMAP4460 or 4470 given the time frame, but it would be interesting to see that new Intel chip in there for sure.

Exactly. I mean, tegra 3 isn't slow by any stretch of the imagination, but its based on last generation architecture. Hell, the S4 and A5X eat it alive in all but the most extreme cases. Good quad cores wont be out for at least 6 more months.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
It will not be Tegra 3, it doesn't work with LTE yet.

Motorola has yet to use Snapdragon, they won't start here.

It's still too early for this to have gone through development on Intel.

It will be OMAP 4. Either a 4460 or a 4470.

stsh0502

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't call tegra 3 last generation at all.... I'd say anything based off of a9 is current Gen. Now I'm assuming that all these people wanting more cores are using amd instead of Intel right

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't call tegra 3 last generation at all.... I'd say anything based off of a9 is current Gen. Now I'm assuming that all these people wanting more cores are using amd instead of Intel right

It is last generation when you consider that A15 is already on the market.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
How about a 4470 at 1.8GHz? TI Announces OMAP 4470 Processor at 1.8Ghz - Possibilities for the PlayBook? - BerryReview

But as I said on another thread, no one knows, and most like me are making a wish list since they do not know either.:D:D

That is most likely the one. The pin-to-pin compatibility would make it easy to work with, and wouldn't require any big engineering differences between the processors in the RAZR.

Also: am I reading it right that its actually a quad-core?

BoostHungry

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
How about a 4470 at 1.8GHz? TI Announces OMAP 4470 Processor at 1.8Ghz - Possibilities for the PlayBook? - BerryReview

But as I said on another thread, no one knows, and most like me are making a wish list since they do not know either.:D:D

Looks like a decent chip, but isn't that still a 40nm tech? So that would mean no integrated LTE and cpu intensive tasks will not be very battery efficiency, even though it seems to have two low power cores, the 1.8 Ghz clock on old silicon will not be groundbreaking.

I really think Qualcomm is going to steal the show in 2012, and I haven't seen any other chip that can compete.

I want an S4 in the Droid Fighter, hopefully I get my wish.

Also: am I reading it right that its actually a quad-core?

It appears to be quad-core in the same way the Tegra 3 is actually a 5-core. Two low power cores for background tasks, ect.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Looks like a decent chip, but isn't that still a 40nm tech? So that would mean no integrated LTE and cpu intensive tasks will not be very battery efficiency, even though it seems to have two low power cores, the 1.8 Ghz clock on old silicon will not be groundbreaking.

I really think Qualcomm is going to steal the show in 2012, and I haven't seen any other chip that can compete.

I want an S4 in the Droid Fighter, hopefully I get my wish.

It appears to be quad-core in the same way the Tegra 3 is actually a 5-core. Two low power cores for background tasks, ect.

Because Moto got burned with Tegra 2 and a non-moto LTE chipset, I doubt we will see any qualcomm hardware anywhere near Motorola phones in the future.

But, Moto's Wrigley chipset is actually pretty great, and isn't a hog like the other standalone basebands.