music skipping/choppy often when using either Google Play or Pandora

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
OK, I've had this problem, or something like it. After extensive testing and troubleshooting here's my story.

When playing music stored on my SD card via headphones I would get split-second pauses in the volume output. That is, the sound output would temporarily mute, but the song would continue playing normally. There isn't any skipping or choppiness, just abrupt dropping of volume to zero, then almost instant resumption of volume. Duration of lost volume is less than a second. Is this what others are experiencing?

It rarely takes me more than five minutes of listening before this problem occurs and it seems to happen completely at random. Sometimes it will happen multiple times during the same song, sometimes it doesn't happen for five minutes or more. But it does happen.

I also noticed this happening in my 2012 Ford F150 when playing music via bluetooth. It also happens if I play music using the phone's speaker. Since it happens with every sort of output I figure I've eliminated the headphone and bluetooth as culprits.

So now I think I'm running low on RAM and check the available RAM. It's around 270 MB, so I doubt that is the problem. Still, I stop a few apps from running and try it again. Problem is not resolved.

I now turn to thinking it's a problem with the SD card. I put an album worth of music on my phone's internal memory storage card. Problem is not resolved, I still have abrupt, split-second loss of volume.

OK, now I suspect the stock Google Music Player is causing the problem. To test this theory, I play music via the file manager, not via the Google Music Player interface. Interestingly, I don't seem to have the problem, at least not for the 10 minutes worth of music I listened to as a test. But isn't playing music using the File Manager simply the Google Music Player with a no-frills user interface? In any event, now I'm thinking it's the Google Music Player. I download the free version of PowerAmp and try it out. Nope, problem persists with PowerAmp. So now I'm thinking it's hardware related and I'm screwed.

Reaching the end of my rope here, not enjoying listening to music on my phone anymore and that's A BIG PROBLEM. In desperation I perform a simulated battery pull--hold down power button and volume rocker for at least 10 seconds until the phone powers off/on and VOILA, no more problem! Fingers are crossed, but it's been 3 days and I'm still playing music without the volume suddenly dropping, then resuming.

Neil Laslett

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
On the Motorola DROID RAZR M about 10% of my songs were choppy and broken, the same songs, consistently. I found that the problem is with the hardware decoder. I downloaded the "MX Player" and had the same problem with the same songs. Then I noticed the "H/W" toggle at the top. I switched the software decoder and presto, all my music now plays. All apps that rely on the DROID's hardware decoder (and that's most of them, with no option to switch) will have this exact same problem. I'm not wild about MX Player but at least it works...

Most of my library is .wma (VBR), with a few dozen .mp3 albums. The problem seems to strike all equally.

Setuart

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a samsung galaxy note 3 and have the same issue at times - choppy music. :confused:
I'm hoping with the kit kat update the problem will be resolved.

John Hooge

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I just got a new Moto G and I get the same skipping when using bluetooth to stream music from Google play. I tried several devices and it's the same. If I connect from the headphone jack to the aux input it works fine. Must be the bluetooth

Dave8675301

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Talked to a tech support guy who said it is a kitkat problem. Told me to look at a forum called code. Google. Com id#62562. Never found this site but he read me stuff from it made me think he knew what he was talking about.... If anyone finds it pls let me know...

Tinytox

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
For streaming Pandora I have had mixed luck adjusting my minfree settings, restarting phone, etc. Looks like it might not have given background applications enough ram.

The forced simulated battery pull seemed to work alright for a bit, but after a bit it was right back to it. I'm hoping its defect headphones, if it persists, I'll have to try ditching viper DNA Rom.

Snakekilla54

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
My music skips to the next song or either stops playing my music altogether
Oddly, I'll get skipping sometimes from my locally stored files on Play, but when I play those same files streamed from play there is no skipping.
I love google and it's services, but Chrome mobile and Play are terrible and the least satisfying aspects of my Razr Maxx HD

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Mike Wade1

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue - I placed 5gb of music on my phone - Music was very choppy only with the .FLAC format. MP3 and MP4 plays just fine for me anyways. I have also converted the .FLAC to MP3 and all is fine. - Hope this helps

jeffkoe

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have searched several sources. There are many different tips, but these seem to not work permanently or work for others. Music stuttering may be a fatal flaw inherent in Android.

Merrilea Mayo

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Adding a vote for getting your RAM above 100 MB. This fixed the problem for me. I not only disabled some apps, but for those that I wanted to keep but had running processes, stopped those processes when I wanted to listen to music. Stopping the Amazon processes alone was almost enough to fix the problem.

Julie Hoy

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
This solution worked for me! I closed a lot of running apps. This included 10 processes running for bluetooth itself, then I restarted it. This immediately stopped the skipping.

soundsic

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Try enabling nuplayer in developer setting. Im running android 5 so its not only a kitkat issue. I also turned clarity and reverb off in my sychronizer settings in music player.

mkanet

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
This isn't an Android problem nor a system resource issue. Same thing happens on multiple apps that use google play music under Windows. The issue is specific to source.

Gesan007

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I can relate..my Google play music app prematurely skip within the song or to the next song. Pain in the a__ .!!! When l am using the Chromecast feature it doesn't skip. Seems to be a common problem with these streaming apps. A royal pain. When l used the free version it didnt skip..go figure